Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

What is the average spend relative to income?

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,709 ✭✭✭Balfa

This is a pretty interesting question, and makes me think about it in a way I haven't, before.

Granted, living in a completely different economic climate to your own, my experience may not have a much relevance for you. One car's repayments consume almost 5% of my wife and I's monthly take-home pay. The other car eats 2.5%. Obviously that excludes maintenance, insurance, tax, fuel, etc.

For reference, we have a mortgage and no children (until December! yikes!)

Also...
    Galmay wrote: »
    I know my father would go ape if he knew Id even consider spending money like this!
    With regards to this, I suggest you drop a proverbial brown envelope on his lap to ease his angst ;)
    Maybe a weekend getaway or something?

• Registered Users Posts: 622 ✭✭✭Bulmers

assuming 40k loan for 5 yrs ,putting 10k yourself,the repayments are €800/month...alot of money even on a 70k salary,70k salary will leave you with approx take home of 4k/month

up to individual i suppose but borrowing that amount of money is alot, given depreciation you'd see on the car, think if aimed for 30-35k motor of which there are plenty of good ones might be better option...new audi TT TDi is 44k, prob zero extras though...

• Registered Users Posts: 6,367 ✭✭✭positron

Five years ago, I spend 5% of my then annual income to buy the car and now annual maintenance ads up to about 1% of my annual income. No, I don't earn a lot, its just that I drive a cheap car! Never gave a minute's bother so far - touch wood!

We are upgrading soon, and the budget is about 15% of me and gf's combined annual income.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Personally, I have never, ever taken out a loan to buy or run a car. The yokes are dear enough without giving money to the bank on top of it all.

Needless to say, I've never, ever driven anything even remotely "flash" either :D but all of the cars I bought were what I wanted at the time (within my stingy parameters), were fun and I enjoyed them ...no white goods here either.

• Registered Users Posts: 66 ✭✭Galmay

Thanks guys ye really are a wise lot! But I know in my head borrowing 40,000 isnt really on! The heart needed convincing tho!

As I said, I only recently started earning this (and to leprechaun77 its basic ~45000 and the rest guarenteed on-call work, permanent and pensionable public sector) so I dont actually have it yet, so plan is save till ive 10-15k and buy something a few yrs old. Someone mentioned a GTi, certainly a possiblity! Continue to save for another while and I should have another 10k or more to add to the pot. Then I'll go cracked! Providing maturity doesnt catch up with me in the meantime...

• Advertisement
Advertisement