Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless Router for Digiweb Metro

Options
  • 16-06-2008 11:55pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭

Hey. Hoping to get digiweb metro installed within the next few weeks and I noticed it doesn't come with a wireless router as standard.

Can anybody recommend a good router? This one?

I also wanna be able to stream media from the pc in my bedroom to the XBOB360 in the living room. I already have This adapter for my pc. Does the xbox connect through the router to the pc or how does it work?

Thanks in advance for any advice.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 32,417 ✭✭✭✭watty

In fact there is no router of anykind. You need an ethernet (not DSL) router to connect more than one "thing".

Argos call them Cable routers (though they do not have cable modems in them). Maplin, Komplett.ie etc simply call them Routers, Wireless Routers or ethernet routers.

They have a 5th ethernet RJ45 port instead of the ADSL RJ11 phone line port on the phone line router/modems.

The one you picked is fine:
    Interfaces:
    1 x network - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX - RJ-45 ( WAN )
    4 x network - Ethernet 10Base-T/100Base-TX - RJ-45
    1 x network - Radio-Ethernet
    You see it has the 5th port that connects to the Metro Modem.

The Xbox connects to router via ethernet or wireless. Ideally with its own DMZ. Google on XBOX NAT/Router/ports etc.

The Belkin adaptor ought to connect the PC to the Linksys. You need to set up WPA PSK with a long random passphrase you write down 1st (mix number and CAPS and small letters). The PC will need the new key.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

Op, I'm doing the same and will be picking up that router as soon as I get a delivery date from Digiweb *Ahem*

• Registered Users Posts: 2,324 ✭✭✭Alter-Ego

Thanks for the info.

Have you been waiting long for installation helimachopter?

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 21,655 Mod ✭✭✭✭helimachoptor

A week:D

But I'm changing jobs next week and have a week off so I planned to spend it killing aliens on Xbox Live:D.

I mean how long does it take to stick an aerial on the roof:rolleyes:

I know the IVR says it could be up to 20 working days.

Op, digiweb are coming to me now on Friday between 3-5. Its a bit awkward but i'll be having BB for some xbox live :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,230 ✭✭✭Solair

Just pick up a router that is described as for 'cable' rather than DSL.

You don't need a DSL modem, just a NAT/wifi router.

<Digiweb Modem> <Your router> <Your computers>

Advertisement