Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Puppies injections

Options
  • 17-06-2008 8:52am
    Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭

Hi, got a puppy there, think shes about 8 weeks old, just wondering when is it time to get her injections?

thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 113 ✭✭de_shadow

Now, is the time, pups can get there first injection from 6 weeks on it used to be longer(12 weeks), found out the hard way when my 10 week old pup got parvo, luckily we caught it early he,s nearly 2 years old and weighs 8 stone .
    it costs around €40 at the vet or if your unemployed the blue cross will do it a bit cheaper, but get it done as soon as possible.

• Registered Users Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

wattsusieq wrote: »
    Hi, got a puppy there, think shes about 8 weeks old, just wondering when is it time to get her injections?

thanks

Got ours done not long ago,
    According to our vet ,it is ......9 weeks ....11 weeks and 13 weeks.
    Dont let the dog out even on a lead untill it s finished
    all injections.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 162 ✭✭wattsusieq

Hey thanks guys!!! thats great, Ill get her done asap so!!!

Yeah I havent let her out once!!

Thanks again

• Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

Im getting my pup on the 1st of may and he will be 8 weeks, the breeder will have the first set of vacinations done and he will be microchipped and de-wormed so when do I need to go to the vet for more vacinations?

When can the dog be let meet my sisters cats? Or my gf's rabbit?

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Standard practice is 8 weeks and 10 weeks and no walks for 2 weeks after the second vac, if puppy has had a parvo only at 6 weeks will still need vac at 8 and 10 weeks. Your best bet is to ring your vet and ask them!

James make sure you get proof of vaccination from the breeder, it will be either two little bottles or a vaccination card from a vet, the latter is better as it proves a vet gave the vac and not the breeder themselves. A lot of time they say " oh he has his first vac just needs his 5 in 1 or 7 in 1", but most of the time they have given the first vac at the wrong age, or they have given the wrong thing.

Rule of thumb for me would be always bring the puppy for a health check when you get it, as sometimes they can have tummy bugs or little visitors on their coats. And also will give you dates when you will need your next injection, make sure to bring along all your info that you get from the breeder.

If your sisters cat is outdoors i wouldnt let them be introduced till your puppy is fully vacced just in case. The rabit should be ok, but be warned if puppy gets too close s/he may get a nip from bunny which could be sore.

If there is anything your not sure of you can ask. Best of luck!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 43 happypuppy

no walks for 2 weeks after the second vac

can i ask why my vet never mentioned this and i've been bringing him out for walks since his second vac at 12 weeks! am worried now

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Hmmm, your vet should have told you this. My puppy went for his second vacc just over 2 weeks ago now, although I did actually have to ask thinking about it. My vet said that as the pup had the initial vacc 2 weeks before, he would have some cover from that, so I wouldn't worry too much now, just keep an eye on him.

• Registered Users Posts: 43 happypuppy

just keep an eye on him

can i ask what i should look out for in particular?:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,378 ✭✭✭ISDW

Well the really big one to worry about I guess is parvo. If he gets diarrhoea, and there is blood in it, I've never seen parvo (and hope never to) but I think the diarrhoea is very dark, and apparently it has a smell all of its own, then get in touch with the vet immediately.

If the puppy is eating and drinking well and is lively, then I wouldn't worry.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,756 ✭✭✭Jules

Im sure he will be fine, most vet do advise waiting as the puppy will have full immuinity but im sure your guy is fine, just watch out for him being unusually lethargic, vomiting, runny stools, going off his food and jsut basically none puppy behaviour!

I really hope all vets are reccomending pet insurance these days!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭jamesd

Thanks guys

Advertisement