Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Litter Situation Improves

Options
  • 17-06-2008 9:09am
    Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭

http://www.oceanfm.ie/onair/sligoleitrimnews.php?articleid=000003433
    Sligo jumps 35 places in the latest litter survey Jun 16, 5:59 am
    "Sligo's litter levels have improved significantly."

That's according to the Chairman of the Irish Business Against Litter Tom Cavanagh.

Sligo has jumped 35 places in this year's IBAL survey, coming in at number 15 out of the 55 towns surveyed.

The Irish Business Against Litter League declared Sligo clean to European Norms this year, a huge improvement on last year's result which deemed Sligo the dirtiest town in Ireland.

The An Taisce report shows that over half of the sites in Sligo got the top litter grade, such as many of the approach routes and Castle Street and Market Street.

However, there was just one area which was a cause for concern - a car park on Stephens Street was seriously littered.

The report said it clearly has been used as a drinking spot with all the associated debris - alcohol cans, bottles and fast-food wrappers.

Speaking to Ocean FM news this morning, Mr. Cavanagh of IBAL said he hopes Sligo can maintain its good result.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

That car park & green area's always full of kids & alcos. Mostly at night time. Plus with 4 Star Pizza, the Chinese & and Gurns off licence all facing onto a mostly unpoliced area, it's a recipie for crap being dumped there. Maybe they should keep armed soldiers there overnight & see if it improves?!

A mate of mine used to live in an apartment block which had access from the car park side. He used to be tormented by young 'uns getting through the gate & using the courtyard as a drinking area all night. He even got beaten up once (pretty badly) for complaining to them on his way in the door after being out for a few quiet pints. He rang the police several times to report their disturbances but they never once bothered to show up.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Good to see us move up the list.

Have to say - I never thought Sligo was THAT dirty anyway.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,078 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Neither did I and I haven't seen any noticeable improvement.

Have to agree with you there. Maybe everywhere else has just got more dirty. :)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

its still pretty bad imo.does anyone else think theres a lot of dog ****e on the streets these days?i know its not a nice conversation
    topic but its pretty nasty to say the least.Posted via Mobile Device

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Where I was with the swans today was still as filthy as ever, I sent pics to the weekender weeks ago, they never printed them.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

magnumlady wrote: »
    Where I was with the swans today was still as filthy as ever, I sent pics to the weekender weeks ago, they never printed them.

Hi magnumlady

I would put together a website and post the pics up on it. Local paper is never going to put those pics up especially after Sligo moved up 35 places. Not good for paper sales. Do it and see what happens, maybe people will take notice. :)

i'd help out with that,it could be sligoalternativenews or something to that effect.Posted via Mobile Device

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

Good idea, having a think about it.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

The swans are nesting on all sorts of crap. The one at the bridge has a broken umbrella "integrated" into her nest. There's paper cups and all sorts in there. I don't know if the litter survey covers waterways, but it is the filthiest river I've ever seen in a town. The water may be clear, but that just lets you see all the rubbish down there.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

if the Garavogue were an ocean, we'd have a hundred coral reefs built upon a base of wrecked shopping carts by now :P

Maybe it has improved, though. I mean, we have bins now. That's an improvement!

One bin per street most of the time though.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

And I was thinking the rubbish situation had IMPROVED, that is until I took a trip down Castle Street. What a mess. That street just beside McHughes bar, the one that goes up. Full of take away rubbish (no real surprise there I have to say). Needs a major overhaul.

Advertisement