Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Great Penalty Takers.

• 17-06-2008 9:39am
    Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 21,254 Mod ✭✭✭✭

I had this discussion with a few mates the other day and we all had very different views,so I taught it would make a good topic here.

I have always said that Cantona was the best penalty taker I have seen,I am not sure about his stats but most penos he seemed to take went into one of the top corners and gave the keeper no chance.As I said I am not sure how prolific he was and maybe its a case of a players legend growing after he stopped playing but from what I can remember most of them were great and I am sure he has a good record.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

I don't know the stats for John Aldridge but he was fairly prolific at this.

The aldo shuffle!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 40,902 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

Matt Le Tiss only missed one if I'm right. Saved by Mark Crossley. Signori with his one steppers was quality as well.
    Posted via Mobile Device

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

Cantana was a savage peno taker
    Le tissier only missed 1 in his southampton career

Jan molby for me
    60 goals total for the Pool, 40 penalties out 42 for the best team on the planet at the time.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,207 ✭✭✭meditraitor

micmclo wrote: »
    I don't know the stats for John Aldridge but he was fairly prolific at this.

The aldo shuffle!
    The first man to have a peno saved in the FA cup final :D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,080 ✭✭✭Crumbs

Gaizka Mendieta. Has he ever missed one?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 2,698 ✭✭✭IrishMike

David O Leary
    1 from 1, 100% record.
    Cant really argue with that ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Ze germans.

Mike.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

Going back a bit, but i'm pretty sure Geoff Hurst had a bit of a reputation as a brilliant peno taker. There wasn't as many given in his era however.

His technique / tactic consisted of taking a big run up and smacking it as hard as possible. When asked about his technique he said something along the lines of "if i don't know where its going, how the fcuk would the keeper know".

Molby was another legend. 40 out of 42 is pretty ok.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,337 ✭✭✭✭monkey9

Definately Molby for me. He used to just stroke them into the corner, left or right it didn't matter.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,283 ✭✭✭gucci

ibh wrote: »
    Going back a bit, but i'm pretty sure Geoff Hurst had a bit of a reputation as a brilliant peno taker. There wasn't as many given in his era however.

His technique / tactic consisted of taking a big run up and smacking it as hard as possible. When asked about his technique he said something along the lines of "if i don't know where its going, how the fcuk would the keeper know".

Molby was another legend. 40 out of 42 is pretty ok.

That fits in quite well with every English commentators view and thinking that penalty shoot-outs are all about luck at the end of the day, and thats why they lose.....ah no, hows about you practice like most other teams for the possibility of a shoot-out?

Molbys record is savage! Shearer must have a pretty good ratio too? Think Crossley saved one or two of his though!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,638 ✭✭✭Iago

Taken from Setanta.com

1. Alex Stepney
    Alright, he only took two but he converted them both - against Leicester and Birmingham during the 1973/74 season. With Willie Morgan injured, he was handed the responsibility of taking the spot-kicks by Tommy Docherty and, remarkably, was joint-top scorer for Manchester United that Christmas.

2. Ray Stewart
    The dependable Scot used to blast his penalties and often found the back of the net. Although he did miss a few during his career, five according to the man himself, he reckons he was usually on hand to convert the rebound. A former West Ham favourite.

3. Julian Dicks
    Another Hammer to make our line-up and another penalty taker who preferred power to precision. Nonetheless, it would take a brave keeper to get in the way of a Dicks exocet and he enjoyed cult hero status at Upton Park although a move to Liverpool never really worked out.

4. Frank Lampard
    Although he missed in the shoot-out against Portugal at the last World Cup, the Chelsea midfielder can usually be trusted to score from the spot. With the pressure on against Croatia at Wembley, he kept his cool to haul England back into the game and showed his mettle after being jeered by a section of his own country's fans.

5. David Unsworth
    'Rhino' as he is nicknamed had the responsibility of taking the proverbial million dollar spot-kick when he successfully despatched against former club Sheffield United for Wigan Athletic last term. 23 successful penalties is an outstanding record for the burly stopper.

6. Steve Bruce
    A popular former Manchester United man who liked converting penalties. Although he never looked the most graceful when running up to take the spot-kicks, he usually side-footed the home with minimum fuss. 11 of his final tally of a remarkable 19 goals during the 1990/91 campaign came from penalties.

7. Jan Molby
    The heavyweight Liverpool pass master famously one scored a hat-trick of penalties against Coventry City in the League Cup. His 42 spot-kick goals put him in the record books as the player who has scored the most penalties for Liverpool during their illustrious history.

8. John Robertson
    One of Brian Clough's favourite sons, the Scotland international knew how to put the ball away from 12 yards out. It was his spot-kick that won the 1980 European Cup for Nottingham Forest when he kept his nerve against Hamburg.

9. Eric Cantona
    Not only did Cantona usually hit the net but most of his penalties sent the keeper the wrong way. It was a useful knack to have for the Frenchman and in the games he did miss, one at former club Leeds United springs to mind, he seemed to go on to get on the scoresheet later as way of atonement.

10.Alan Shearer
    Although the Geordie idol did see a last minute penalty saved by Thomas Sorensen in a Tyne-Wear derby and was not infallible from 12 yards, his 58 penalty strikes is a Premier League record and some 34 clear of his nearest challenger.

11. Matt Le Tissier
    Probably the best penalty taker in Premier League history. He only ever missed one - with Mark Crossley the man to deny him. 49 out of 50 penalties were converted by the Southampton legend and that record speaks for itself.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,448 ✭✭✭evil_seed

Julian Dicks ftw

Jesus Julian Dicks, had forgotten about him! I'm sure Baggio had a great record before missing in the WC Final in 1994....maybe I'm just imagining that?
    Xavi mentioned Signori too, I remember one season Lazio had 6 penalties in their first 7 games or something crazy like that, so he was obviously good at winning them as well as converting them!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,225 ✭✭✭Chardee MacDennis

gucci wrote: »
    Jesus Julian Dicks, had forgotten about him! I'm sure Baggio had a great record before missing in the WC Final in 1994....maybe I'm just imagining that?

for some reason i have it in my head thats one of his only misses from the spot, i could be very wrong though.

well thats wrong, from Wiki:

• 76 goals from 91 penalties (best all time record in Italy)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 482 ✭✭Death or Glory

Johnny Giles was an incredible penalty taker for Leeds in 70's

Call_me_al wrote: »
    for some reason i have it in my head thats one of his only misses from the spot, i could be very wrong though.

well thats wrong, from Wiki:

• 76 goals from 91 penalties (best all time record in Italy)

Still the best all time record, does that mean the keepers are better in Italy, or the fact that he has twice as many as Le Tiss mean he was subject to more combative defending/worse refereeing? I guess he had international caps to add to his record, which Le Tiss doesn't.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 25,953 ✭✭✭✭kryogen

Denis Irwin wasnt half bad was he

from todays players, RVN is still deadly at them, despite a blip at one stage, Ballack is pretty freakin clinical from the spot too. no nerves, just pure confidence and calm

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭The G Child

For me, a great penalty taker is defined by the pressure he takes the kicks under. So for me, the greatest penalty taker ever is Zinedine Zidane. The 3 examples that spring to mind are:

1) Euro 2000 v Portugal - Goalden Goal peno to put France through.

2) Euro 2004 v England - Last minute of the game to win it for France

3) WC 2006 v Italy - World Cup final against the best keeper in the world, Zidane decides to chip it in of the bar.

All 3 penalties were absolute class, as I'm sure all his penos were.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,103 ✭✭✭estebancambias

David Connolly.

• Registered Users Posts: 799 ✭✭✭Indie18

ian wright was a really good penalty taker i think i only ever remember him missing one

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭ibh

gucci wrote: »
    That fits in quite well with every English commentators view and thinking that penalty shoot-outs are all about luck at the end of the day, and thats why they lose.....ah no, hows about you practice like most other teams for the possibility of a shoot-out?

Molbys record is savage! Shearer must have a pretty good ratio too? Think Crossley saved one or two of his though!

My opinion is that practice is a waste of time.

Carragher Gerrard and Lampard were Englands top Peno takers in practice. Didn't do much good when it all mattered in 06.

I think Ballack said it best when he told Grant he wasn't practising penos because it was pointless because they matter only when the pressure is on.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,070 ✭✭✭✭event

afair, sheringham was pretty good at them too

Ballack is a top penalty taker, iirc after he scored then penalty against united in the league, he was asked did he feel the pressure - he responded with something like i am a professional footballer, it is my job to take penalties, there was no pressure. love it, so very German, but so true - if a professional footballer cant hit the target from 12 yards he shouldnt be on the pitch, and if he cant make it difficult for the keeper he shouldnt be taking it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,224 ✭✭✭✭SantryRed

Jose Chilavert and Rogerio Ceni, reckon they should be mentioned with being keepers and all.:D

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,746 ✭✭✭Drag00n79

Ballack is a top penalty taker, iirc after he scored then penalty against united in the league, he was asked did he feel the pressure - he responded with something like i am a professional footballer, it is my job to take penalties, there was no pressure. love it, so very German, but so true - if a professional footballer cant hit the target from 12 yards he shouldnt be on the pitch, and if he cant make it difficult for the keeper he shouldnt be taking it.
    +1 Ballack. And Phil Neal back in the day.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,110 ✭✭✭Y2J_MUFC

Ruud Van Nistelrooy has to get a mention... especially after missing that famous one against Arsenal and having the nerves to set it straight the next time around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

One for the future, Graziano Pelle. Quite simply the best penalty I have ever seen. 21 and the balls to do this

:cool:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,830 ✭✭✭✭Nalz

Iago wrote: »
    Taken from Setanta.com

1. Alex Stepney
    Alright, he only took two but he converted them both - against Leicester and Birmingham during the 1973/74 season. With Willie Morgan injured, he was handed the responsibility of taking the spot-kicks by Tommy Docherty and, remarkably, was joint-top scorer for Manchester United that Christmas.

2. Ray Stewart
    The dependable Scot used to blast his penalties and often found the back of the net. Although he did miss a few during his career, five according to the man himself, he reckons he was usually on hand to convert the rebound. A former West Ham favourite.

3. Julian Dicks
    Another Hammer to make our line-up and another penalty taker who preferred power to precision. Nonetheless, it would take a brave keeper to get in the way of a Dicks exocet and he enjoyed cult hero status at Upton Park although a move to Liverpool never really worked out.

4. Frank Lampard
    Although he missed in the shoot-out against Portugal at the last World Cup, the Chelsea midfielder can usually be trusted to score from the spot. With the pressure on against Croatia at Wembley, he kept his cool to haul England back into the game and showed his mettle after being jeered by a section of his own country's fans.

5. David Unsworth
    'Rhino' as he is nicknamed had the responsibility of taking the proverbial million dollar spot-kick when he successfully despatched against former club Sheffield United for Wigan Athletic last term. 23 successful penalties is an outstanding record for the burly stopper.

6. Steve Bruce
    A popular former Manchester United man who liked converting penalties. Although he never looked the most graceful when running up to take the spot-kicks, he usually side-footed the home with minimum fuss. 11 of his final tally of a remarkable 19 goals during the 1990/91 campaign came from penalties.

7. Jan Molby
    The heavyweight Liverpool pass master famously one scored a hat-trick of penalties against Coventry City in the League Cup. His 42 spot-kick goals put him in the record books as the player who has scored the most penalties for Liverpool during their illustrious history.

8. John Robertson
    One of Brian Clough's favourite sons, the Scotland international knew how to put the ball away from 12 yards out. It was his spot-kick that won the 1980 European Cup for Nottingham Forest when he kept his nerve against Hamburg.

9. Eric Cantona
    Not only did Cantona usually hit the net but most of his penalties sent the keeper the wrong way. It was a useful knack to have for the Frenchman and in the games he did miss, one at former club Leeds United springs to mind, he seemed to go on to get on the scoresheet later as way of atonement.

10.Alan Shearer
    Although the Geordie idol did see a last minute penalty saved by Thomas Sorensen in a Tyne-Wear derby and was not infallible from 12 yards, his 58 penalty strikes is a Premier League record and some 34 clear of his nearest challenger.

11. Matt Le Tissier
    Probably the best penalty taker in Premier League history. He only ever missed one - with Mark Crossley the man to deny him. 49 out of 50 penalties were converted by the Southampton legend and that record speaks for itself.

How Denis Irwin hasn't made that list is beyond me...

Ballack is the best I've seen though

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Cristiano Ronaldo

:p :pac:

anyone else ever feel invisible sometimes?

anyways, @ Bubs, i couldnt actually disagree more with your sentiments! those penalties infuriate me, if the keeper hadnt sold himself early or had just been simply quick enough or had a bit of luck to reach the ball you would be saying its the worst peno ever!

they are unnecessary and imo they have a much higher chance of being saved or missed and if i was a coach i would kick the **** out of a player that did that on my team in a pnalty shootout

i remember a funny one of those a while ago where the guy chipped it and it hit the bar, but the best i have ever seen was when the guy did the little chip, but the keeper hadnt moved and he just calmly caught the ball and offered it back to the player for another try! ill have a look to see if i can find that one, i pissed myself when i saw it!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,857 ✭✭✭✭Dave!

Johann Cruyff :)

Thierry Henry and Robert Pires take note :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 224 ✭✭The G Child

kryogen wrote: »
    anyways, @ Bubs, i couldnt actually disagree more with your sentiments! those penalties infuriate me, if the keeper hadnt sold himself early or had just been simply quick enough or had a bit of luck to reach the ball you would be saying its the worst peno ever!

they are unnecessary and imo they have a much higher chance of being saved or missed and if i was a coach i would kick the **** out of a player that did that on my team in a pnalty shootout

I think it all depends on the situation of the kick. If you try that chipped peno you have to have the confidence in your ability and the actions of the keeper. Getting back to Zidanes world cup final peno against Buffon, your talking about the best, most creative footballer of his generation against possibly the best goalkeeper of recent times. All ZZ's penos tended to be low and hard, stuck right in the corner to perfection. I'm sure Buffon was aware of this as keepers study the style of the opposition spot kickers all the time. However, Zidane was probably aware that Buffon anticipated the low drive to the keepers right and decided to dink it straight down the middle. Quality penalty.

Another notable chipped penalty is Panenka of Checkaslovakia against West Germany in the Euros of 76 (i think??). Very calm strike to win a peno shoot out.

I agree when they go wrong they look stupid, but when they go right they are wonderful goals to watch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Honourable mention to Owen Hargreaves.
    Although I've only ever seen him take a handful or so they've all been absolute perfection and unsaveable.
    The most recent being in the Champions league shoot-out where he had arguably the biggest pressure peno going after Ronaldo had missed and Chelsea had then capitilised.

in certain situations i can understand them, maybe i was a bit harsh earlier, its like changing your side in a way, as in when RVN went to the goalies right for about 15 penos in a row, then went left v spurs (?) for the first time

in the ZZ situation he had a way that he normally went, he knew Buffon would expect that yes, so he did the opposite, its very clever in those situations yes, but you have history and knowledge, that young man was 99% surely just guessing as to what the keeper would be expecting and the keeper was just guessing at what way he would be shooting as they cant have had that much prior knowledge (if any) about each other

different situations imo!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,044 ✭✭✭Sqaull20

I think it all depends on the situation of the kick. If you try that chipped peno you have to have the confidence in your ability and the actions of the keeper. Getting back to Zidanes world cup final peno against Buffon, your talking about the best, most creative footballer of his generation against possibly the best goalkeeper of recent times. All ZZ's penos tended to be low and hard, stuck right in the corner to perfection. I'm sure Buffon was aware of this as keepers study the style of the opposition spot kickers all the time.

However, Zidane was probably aware that Buffon anticipated the low drive to the keepers right and decided to dink it straight down the middle. Quality penalty.

+1

Zidane was a god, if you had to choose someone out of all the best penalty takers ever to take one in the biggest game of all, it would be him.

I loved euro 2004 when zidane scored the equalizer in the last min of the game with a free kick, and right after that he scores a penalty that wins them the game. amazing

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 9,825 ✭✭✭Mikeyt086

Dennis Irwin was always a reliable peno-taker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,894 ✭✭✭Nunu

Sqaull20 wrote: »
    +1

I loved euro 2004 when zidane scored the equalizer in the last min of the game with a free kick, and right after that he scores a penalty that wins them the game. amazing

I was at that game...feckin unreal it was! Before the decisive peno Zidane was facing his own goal, stuck 2 fingers down his throat, had a little puke, turned around straight into his stride and smashed the peno into the top corner! Simply astonishing stuff!! God, how i miss Zidane:(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,246 ✭✭✭Esse85

Yorke

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 10,259 ✭✭✭✭Melion

RVN for me, i can only remember him missing 2. Totti probably deserves a mention

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 6,478 ✭✭✭Bubs101

Melion wrote: »
    Totti probably deserves a mention

As much as I love Totti, he doesn't have a great strike rate, just scores great penos. For every backheel penalty

there's one of these

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭hunter164

Fair play to him for trying it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 19,019 ✭✭✭✭adox

Van Basten always used to take great penaltys.

Cant find any of his on youtube though.:(

hunter164 wrote: »
    Fair play to him for trying it.

at one nil down? and he doesnt even keep his eyes on the keeper which is what most do when they try it.

idiot for trying it if you ask me.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,252 ✭✭✭deisedevil

at one nil down? and he doesnt even keep his eyes on the keeper which is what most do when they try it.

idiot for trying it if you ask me.

+1

What a waste!

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

Lee Dixon was very good, hard to believe but he was our penalty taker.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 36,403 ✭✭✭✭LuckyLloyd

That Le Tiss only had one saved by a keeper particularly awesome at saving penos says it all.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,732 ✭✭✭Reganio 2

Paolo Di Canio was legend (in general) at penalties he used to chip it a lot and I don't off the top of my head remember him missing one. I know he scored one against Arsenal (Jens Lehmann) and Liverpool (Peggy Arphexead (sp?)) he might have done it against Shay Given as well but I could be wrong on that.

• Registered Users Posts: 11,692 ✭✭✭✭OPENROAD

One of the great penalty kicks :D

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ah9hVXmjG6A

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

The Zidane peno in the final of WC06 took some balls....Owen Hargreaves has scored two cracking penos in shootouts for engurland and united.....and the worst performance has to go to Irelands pathetic efforts against Spain in the shootout in korea

• Advertisement
Advertisement