Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Questions of a confused final year student

Options
  • 17-06-2008 10:06am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

Hey guys,
    I'm quite stressed at the moment so I'm hoping that somebody can offer me some information. As I mention in the subject title, I'm a final year student (arts) and I received my results yesterday. I did quite well in one of my modules (got a 2.1), however I failed (E) two components of my other. There's also an issue with two other grades that weren't submitted by the departments (I'm in the process of sorting that out).
    So as I stand at the moment, I marked as 40 credits complete. As I said 10 of those will to be fixed and that will bring me up to 50 credits.
    How many credits do I need to have to get my degree? I read 50 elsewhere on this forum but I'm not sure if that applies to final year students or not. I'm also unsure how passing by compensation works. Is this also an option I could take? Even taking the E's into consideration I did get a 45 average in the subject in which I failed two components, so I'm also wondering can that be taken into consideration?
    Sorry if I'm a little unclear on any details, or if I'm asking questions that have been answered before. I'd really appreciate just some clarifications on these issues. Thanks. :)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,208 ✭✭✭Économiste Monétaire

As far as I am aware you must complete 180 credits to be eligible to receive your degree (Arts). So far you have 170, if I read correctly, and unless the two modules that you failed are not passed by compensation I would doubt you will graduate. If they are not passed you will most likely go into stage X and have to complete the further 10 credits.

However, you should ring your programme office to confirm what the procedure is in your situation.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Chef Reinhold

Thanks for the additional information. How do I know if I qualify for a "pass by compensation"?
    Sorry for my lack of knowledge. I'm a student who returned to UCD to finish my degree after spending a while out and working so I'm still mostly puzzled and unfamiliar with the modularized system.:o

• Registered Users Posts: 202 ✭✭xeroshero

Ok, firstly sorry to hear that your results weren't as hoped... :o

Im not 100% sure if compensation is thye same all of UCD, but for my course (Ag) compensation works if you get between 30-40% in the subject(s) you failed. You must get an overall average fo 44% (we did 12 separate subjects so not sure how it works with arts?) I also *think* it something like you can't compansate for more than 20% of all your subjects... How many subjects/components did you do in total? And you failed two?

You should get onto admin or better still you rprogramme iffeci - thats what they are there for!!! Good luck! :cool:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3 Chef Reinhold

Cheers. I'm meeting up with the year head tomorrow anyway, so I guess I'll see what he thinks first. After that I'll see if I have to pass by compensation or not. If what you say is true then I should have no trouble.. I did 12 components, so failing two is 16% of my subject. My average in that subject at the moment is at 45%.

Advertisement