Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bicycle buying guide?

Options
  • 17-06-2008 10:24am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭

How about writing a guide for buying the different kinds of bike and making it a sticky?

Should prevent the "which bike should I buy" threads?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

penexpers wrote: »
    How about writing a guide for buying the different kinds of bike and making it a sticky?

Should prevent the "which bike should I buy" threads?

Pretty sure there's one in the Wiki

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,038 ✭✭✭penexpers

Ah so there is!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Though of course the Wiki should be stickyed I reckon, and remove all the other ones up there... just one sticky that link into the Wiki should be enough -doubt many people read them anyway :)

• Registered Users Posts: 4,676 ✭✭✭Gavin

Yeah I've requested this a few times, but nothing happened. It's a bit pants with the wiki just sitting there and newcomers not knowing about it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 378 ✭✭Bicyclegadabout

How about a "how to find the wiki" wiki sticky?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,481 ✭✭✭Morgan

There seems to be a decent amount of information on buying bikes here:

http://www.whycycle.com/

Might be worth adding a link to the Wiki...

Morgan wrote: »
    There seems to be a decent amount of information on buying bikes here:

http://www.whycycle.com/

Might be worth adding a link to the Wiki...

Added to the buying a bike page. Feel free to add anything else! Verb don't own de wiki !

pedal page also added.

Sticky Wiki, Sticki Wiki, bumpety bumpety
    sticki wiki, wiki sicki, sticki wiki

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

It's all well and good having a sticky to the wiki, or a thread, but what's the chances of someone actually reading it though? I mean if they can't use the 'search' functionality, chances are they don't see beyond the 'New Thread" button.

Sure, some people won't know to search. However, plenty know what a FAQ is and will read it. Those that don't know either can be quickly answered with a link to the correct article on the wiki. If they want more info they can ask then, and the wiki modified if needs be.

It'd be nice if it at least was stickied, so the wiki existence isn't just known to frequent readers of the board.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

well if i might just jump in there. i asked peoples opinion on buying a bike !! new stuff comes on the market all the time and one thread might not be as up to date as the market, i think with respect to other users kenmc maybe we are more intelligent than given credit for !! just an observation lol oh look a search button lol

• Registered Users Posts: 7,276 ✭✭✭kenmc

Sorry Buachaill, it was more aimed at the "I have 20-30 quid to spend on a bike, where can I get an all carbon dura-ace beast" type emails that pop up on a weekly basis, rather than those who have specific "This bike vs that bike" type questions.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,908 ✭✭✭BUACHAILL

no apology needed I was only having a bit of fun picking on your words ha, just on that do you know where i could get one for €30 ha ha

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭paddyb

• Registered Users Posts: 1,523 ✭✭✭spurscormac

paddyb wrote: »

I think thats exactly whats needed, but perhaps to include the Road bike, Hybrid and Tourer types as well.

Personally, I think the best place for this is the Wiki & I'm in agreement that it should be stickied.
    It contains a lot of the info in the stickied threads so we could remove a bunch of them from the top of the first page.

People could read the info, then ask questions on specific bikes and how they compare to others in the price range.

Just my 2 cents.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

I think all this stuff should go on the Wiki and there should be one sticky at the top of the forum myself. If there is ONE sticky people might be more likely to read it. The sort of person who doesn't read such a sticky probably wouldn't do a search either.

EDIT: At the same time I don't mind people posting with "what sort of bike should I buy" questions as everyone's needs are different. Would help if they read whatever is in the wiki first though.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

Verb wrote: »
    Yeah I've requested this a few times, but nothing happened. It's a bit pants with the wiki just sitting there and newcomers not knowing about it.

... so where is the wiki - I'm a new comer!

72oo

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

72hundred- Bambaataa has a Trek 1.5 in your size his is considering unloading in another thread - you might want to check that out.

http://wiki.boards.ie/wiki/Category:Cycling

• Registered Users Posts: 2,435 ✭✭✭ilovelamp2000

blorg wrote: »
    72hundred- Bambaataa has a Trek 1.5 in your size his is considering unloading in another thread - you might want to check that out.

Thanks for the link,

I read the forum fairly regularly but wasn't aware of the Wiki until it was mentioned yesterday.

It's proving to be quite handy for me at the moment. I began cycling about this time last year, just a 20 mile round trip to work on a hybrid, but now I'm thinking about stepping things up a bit and getting a proper road bike and eventually building up the distances I do.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,333 ✭✭✭72hundred

blorg wrote: »

Yeah he's been in touch by PM, with all the details. Thanks.

72oo

• Advertisement
Advertisement