Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Guards driving your car?

Options
  • 17-06-2008 10:30am
    Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭

so you get pulled over and cop sees no tax disk on the vehicle or NCT - they say " we are taking the vehicle " -
    Are the guards allowed to drive it back to the station ??? or do they have to call a tow truck? it was a small town garda.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I think (although I don't know) that they can drive it.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭Esel

To answer your question: yes, they are allowed to drive it, provided they have the appropriate licence. People have said here that you are not obliged to hand over your keys. So, if this is true, park the car legally and safely, lock it, and walk away.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 35 moleyC

Or if they really insist on driving it, plonk yourself in the passenger seat and make shure it goes directly and safely to the station.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Must have being a bad morning OP?!
    they can drive it, and depending on what car they will DRIVE it! Once they have a full licence they are good to go! It'll be okay

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

I remember watching Road Wars a while ago, and the cop decided to drive a very expensive Merc Sports-car (could be an SL 500 I think) back to the station.:D

For most of the more mundane automobiles, it seems that the back of a truck is the preferred method of transport.:rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,287 ✭✭✭Ferris

AFAIK they are insured by the state, i.e the state pays any claims, not an insurance company. Guess this means that they can do anything they like so long as its Garda policy.

I'd have known more about this if I hadn't avoided a Guard running straight through one of the roundabouts (while I was on it) in Omni Shopping Centre yesterday.:confused:

Funny, I didn't know there was a dunkin' donuts there.

• Registered Users Posts: 595 ✭✭✭toco123

By the way is it legal so for a guard to use her mobile phone while driving through a town such as Fermoy?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

toco123 wrote: »
    By the way is it legal so for a guard to use her mobile phone while driving through a town such as Fermoy?
    Yes - the Gardai are exempt from most of the Road Traffic Regulations if doing so as part of their work.

PS - What has the town got to do with it?

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

such a life the guards have,turn on blue lights as late for lunch
    some of them cant drive,maybe they didnt have to do driving test

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I'm also nearly a 100% that a Garda can drive any vehicle regardless of weather they have a licence for that category or not.

• Advertisement

if they could drive,saw them few times almost take out other drivers on roads specially going wrong way in roundabouts

delly wrote: »
    I'm also nearly a 100% that a Garda can drive any vehicle regardless of weather they have a licence for that category or not.
    No they must have the appropriate category. If they need to drive an artic, it often takes them a while to locate a Garda with an E+C licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 797 ✭✭✭Plascebo

Can they take your car if you have no NCT?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

delly wrote: »

that may be true but can they drive an untaxed vehicle onthe road. all garda cars must be taxed and its an offence to drive a car without tax?

Plascebo wrote: »
    Can they take your car if you have no NCT?

No

the boys in blue,could make a movie

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

No they must have the appropriate category. If they need to drive an artic, it often takes them a while to locate a Garda with an E+C licence.

No thats incorrect wishbone. My brother is a Garda and while only having a car license has driven a mini bus, cement mixer truck and fully loaded artic after impounding them for various reasons. As he says himself he can drive a tank if needs be while on duty regardless of what license he holds or if he has even driven one before. The fecker can hardly drive a car so how he managed the artic i'll never know.....

they gifted,didnt you know

• Registered Users Posts: 1,431 ✭✭✭zzzzzzzz

esel wrote: »
    People have said here that you are not obliged to hand over your keys.

Has anyone verified if this is true? Especially with the 1 week clampdown on at the moment, someone MUST have tried it. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

No

Wrong your car can be impounded if the nct is out by a day or more
    the boys in blue,could make a movie

Grow up
    No thats incorrect wishbone. My brother is a Garda and while only having a car license has driven a mini bus, cement mixer truck and fully loaded artic after impounding them for various reasons. As he says himself he can drive a tank if needs be while on duty regardless of what license he holds or if he has even driven one before. The fecker can hardly drive a car so how he managed the artic i'll never know.....

Wrong A garda needs a licence to drive a vehicle

• Advertisement

ok daddy

JoeySully wrote: »
    can they drive an untaxed vehicle onthe road
    Of course they can. There are exemptions to all regulations for specific instances that may occur.

JoeySully wrote:
    all garda cars must be taxed and its an offence to drive a car without tax?
    All Garda vehicles display a tax disc but it has €0.00 on it. It would be a bit pointless for the Government to tax itself!

yayamark wrote: »

Under what legislation?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,178 ✭✭✭Fozzie Bear

Wrong A garda needs a licence to drive a vehicle

Eh NO THEY DON'T! As i have already pointed (read my post) out my brother is a current member of the Gardai and he has confirmed (as well as driven) that he can drive any vehicle he needs to while on duty regardless of whether he holds a current driving license for that vehicle or not.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Kelticknight
    You're sailing a bit close to the wind ...stop posting nonsense ..try something substantial for a change.

hmmm,rightie o

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

Eh NO THEY DON'T! As i have already pointed (read my post) out my brother is a current member of the Gardai and he has confirmed (as well as driven) that he can drive any vehicle he needs to while on duty regardless of whether he holds a current driving license for that vehicle or not.
    In actual fact, a member of the force could drive a vehicle, using the Commis's permissions whilst banned from driving for an offence such as drink driving.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

I would assume (hope!) that some common sense is applied, depending on the situation.

For example, if a vehicle needs to be driven out of a danger zone to to the next safe spot to prevent another accident from happening ...what does it matter if the driver has a licence for it or not?

But if an articulated lorry had to be driven for a long stretch through normal traffic I would expect that the driver would have to have the appropriate licence.

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

Which would achieve what, exactly? It would be a little difficult to then get it NCT'ed if it was sitting in a pound somewhere, wouldn't it? With tax, at least you could go and get it taxed in the meantime and return with the paperwork, but with an NCT you couldn't do that. I call your bluff.

• Advertisement

I stand corrected Fozzie Bear. :o

They are indeed exempt from the requirement to have a licence if required in the course of their duties (Section 38, sub-section 6 of the Road Traffic Act 1961).

I presume it must be by choice of the individual member though. The reason I thought it was mandatory is that I regularly hear the controllers on the Garda Traffic Channel seeking a "member with an EC/D/C licence required as soon as possible at..........".

Now I know! :)

Advertisement