Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Guards driving your car?

Options

Comments

• Moderators, Home & Garden Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators Posts: 7,685 Mod ✭✭✭✭delly

I stand corrected Fozzie Bear. :o
    *cough cough*

• Registered Users Posts: 21,465 ✭✭✭✭Alun

It's one thing being allowed to do it, and another completely different thing actually being capable of it. From what I've seen of some modern truck cockpits, you'd be hard pressed to even figure out how to start the damn thing, let alone get it moving in a safe and smooth manner if all you were used to was a standard car.

• Registered Users Posts: 947 ✭✭✭Frank the Manc

a garda, to be legally insured to drive your car to the impound must be in posession of a retrieval warrant, i.e. permission from his super or higher.

you do not have to give your keys to the garda, you simply lock the the door and put them in your pocket, advise the garda that you do not give him permission to drive the car and that you want it towed by a professional, who is competant to carry out same.

youre getting charged the €125 regardless of whether its towed or driven by the garda so why make his life any easier, hes certainy not making yours any.

cars can be seized for tax being out of date by 30 days or more or an expired NCT, unsure of any time scales, but as usual its almost entirely at the guards discretion.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,269 ✭✭✭_feedback_

toco123 wrote: »
    By the way is it legal so for a guard to use her mobile phone while driving through a town such as Fermoy?

I've done a bit of research in to that for you, and it is illegal for a Garda to use her phone while driving, in the following cork Townlands:

Ballycotton Ballylickey Ballinascarthy Ballinhassig Ballinspittle Ballydehob Ballygarvan Baltimore Bandon Bantry Barleycove Blarney Buttevant Carrigaline Castletownbere Castletownshend Castlemartyr Charleville Clonakilty Cloyne Cobh Cork City Courtmacsherry Crosshaven Crookhaven Dunmanway Durrus
    Glandore Glengarriff Goleen Gougane Innishannon Kanturk Kilbrittain Kinsale Leap Macroom Mallow Midleton Millstreet Mitchelstown Mizen Head Monkstown Oysterhaven Ringaskiddy Rostellan Rosscarbery Schull Shanagarry
    Sheep's Head Skibbereen Timoleague Union Hall Youghal.

Fermoy doesn't seem to be on it, bummer.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Alun wrote: »
    From what I've seen of some modern truck cockpits, you'd be hard pressed to even figure out how to start the damn thing, let alone get it moving in a safe and smooth manner if all you were used to was a standard car.
    I'd love to see a Garda getting into a fully laden truck, with a four over four box and splitter parked on a steep incline and watch him 'confiscate' it.
    why make his life any easier, hes certainy not making yours any
    The owner/driver would be making life hard for himself. The garda is merely upholding the law and would have the support of most law abiding motorists.
    I've done a bit of research in to that for you, and it is illegal for a Garda to use her phone while driving, in the following cork Townlands:

Ballycotton Ballylickey Ballinascarthy Ballinhassig Ballinspittle Ballydehob Ballygarvan Baltimore Bandon Bantry Barleycove Blarney Buttevant Carrigaline Castletownbere Castletownshend Castlemartyr Charleville Clonakilty Cloyne Cobh Cork City Courtmacsherry Crosshaven Crookhaven Dunmanway Durrus
    Glandore Glengarriff Goleen Gougane Innishannon Kanturk Kilbrittain Kinsale Leap Macroom Mallow Midleton Millstreet Mitchelstown Mizen Head Monkstown Oysterhaven Ringaskiddy Rostellan Rosscarbery Schull Shanagarry

LOL :D

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 888 ✭✭✭tdc

Sorry, someone mentioned earlier that if you get caught without tax/NCT you are not obliged to hand over the keys - you can just park it and walk. Is this true? Isnt it illegal to park a car without tax and/or NCT on a public road?

tdc wrote: »
    Sorry, someone mentioned earlier that if you get caught without tax/NCT you are not obliged to hand over the keys - you can just park it and walk. Is this true? Isnt it illegal to park a car without tax and/or NCT on a public road?
    They meant park it awaiting towaway as opposed to giving the keys to a Garda. personnally I'd prefer a Garda to drive it rather than have to pay tow fees as well as storage fees

• Registered Users Posts: 3,651 ✭✭✭Captain Slow IRL

So, how come they can take your car off you if you haven't it taxed but can't if it isn't nct'd?!

Should the nct not hold precedence over tax? (road safety, etc....)

• Registered Users Posts: 5,379 ✭✭✭DublinDilbert

land9 wrote: »
    So, how come they can take your car off you if you haven't it taxed but can't if it isn't nct'd?!

We all know that tax / revenue unfortunately takes precedence over road safety ;)

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

yayamark wrote: »
    Wrong your car can be impounded if the nct is out by a day or more

i doubt it as according to penaltypoints.ie it's not even active penalty points offence.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 68,904 ✭✭✭✭L1011

Has anyone verified if this is true? Especially with the 1 week clampdown on at the moment, someone MUST have tried it. :D

Clampdown?

I've hit a thousand miles since Friday now and I've seen TWO gardai - walking down the hard shoulder of the N7. And not one checkpoint!

Presumably because tax is a black and white issue.

NCT is more intricate. You may have failed a test and therefore are entitled to a retest within 21(?) days. Suppose you fail the retest after making a lot of effort etc....

It's not as simple as paying road tax!

• Registered Users Posts: 645 ✭✭✭s14driftking

cars can be taken for no nct tax and insurance seen it happen dozens of times at meets
    as for guard driving your car tat is totally up to u i got one of my cars impounded lately for not having an insurance disc displayed and i refused to let the guard drive it in the end they called a tow truck and i payed nothing extra

i refused to let the guard drive it in the end they called a tow truck and i payed nothing extra
    Was the vehicle reclaimed?

They meant park it awaiting towaway as opposed to giving the keys to a Garda. personnally I'd prefer a Garda to drive it rather than have to pay tow fees as well as storage fees

youre paying it one way or another, so why oblige them.
    if youve ever had your car driven by a muppet who really shouldnt be on the road then you'd understand.

they can and do.
    We all know that tax / revenue unfortunately takes precedence over road safety ;)

damn straight
    cars can be taken for no nct tax and insurance seen it happen dozens of times at meets
    as for guard driving your car tat is totally up to u i got one of my cars impounded lately for not having an insurance disc displayed and i refused to let the guard drive it in the end they called a tow truck and i payed nothing extra

thats the only shots for 'em lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,339 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

Law #1 of the republic of Cork.

Was the vehicle reclaimed?
    yes i got it back the next nite after i produced my insurance and handed over 125euro the robbing basta***

• Registered Users Posts: 1,857 ✭✭✭Bogger77

yes i got it back the next nite after i produced my insurance and handed over 125euro the robbing basta***
    Robbing what?

Maybe next time you head to a meet, you'll make sure your car meets the requirements of the road traffic acts.

Bogger77 wrote: »
    Robbing what?

Maybe next time you head to a meet, you'll make sure your car meets the requirements of the road traffic acts.

fair enough you are asking for trouble not having your docs in order when attendig such gatherings, but it is just petty revenge by the gardai seizing cars like that, it has nothing to do with road safety.

how is the same car that was impounded miraculously roadworthy again, after the payment of a stealth tax sorry i mean release fee.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,184 ✭✭✭Fey!

how is the same car that was impounded miraculously roadworthy again, after the payment of a stealth tax sorry i mean release fee.

Wasn't he refering to INSURANCE documentation, NOT NCT. How does that refer to roadworthiness?

And why couldn't the poster have had something in the car to prove he was insured? The onus at a checkpoint is on the owner to prove that the car is insured, NOT for the Garda to prove that it isn't.

• Advertisement

fair enough you are asking for trouble not having your docs in order when attendig such gatherings, but it is just petty revenge by the gardai seizing cars like that, it has nothing to do with road safety.

For the those not quite able to read, I'll say it slower,
    s14driftking should ensure when he's heading to a "meet" (aka cruise), that his/her car meets the legal requirments of the of road traffic acts. A car that is road legal, is by definition road worthy, a car that has NCT is not by definition road worthy.
    s14driftking states that they had no proof of insurance on the car, by anyones leap of imagination, that car was not road legal.
    The road traffic acts state that a insurance disc must be displayed, and even states where on the car is should be displayed.

Robbing what?

wasnt going to a meet i was driving back to my house in waterford of a sunday nite was after reinsuring the car friday so was waiting on the disc for insurance had taxed it on line over the weeked so was waiting on the disc also before u shut the mouth of u should know the circumstances first

For the those not quite able to read, I'll say it slower,
    s14driftking should ensure when he's heading to a "meet" (aka cruise), that his/her car meets the legal requirments of the of road traffic acts. A car that is road legal, is by definition road worthy, a car that has NCT is not by definition road worthy.
    s14driftking states that they had no proof of insurance on the car, by anyones leap of imagination, that car was not road legal.
    The road traffic acts state that a insurance disc must be displayed, and even states where on the car is should be displayed.
    who said anything about a meet or cruise

who said anything about a meet or cruise
    Hmmmm....

Yawwwn

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

He never said he was at/going to a meet, he said he's seen it happen AT meets before.

Read things more carefully, this is going way off topic anyway.

Are the Gardai insured to drive your car? I don't think they are tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

to be fair now, if you read properly, driftking mentions cars being impounded regularly at meets ...and in another sentence he talks about his car being impounded lately (but not necessarily at a meet) ..so there ...no reason to pick a fight.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭Esel

^ Technically, not 'another sentence', as he didn't use any punctuation. :D

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I have been told that the Gardai are not insured to drive your vehicle on the road if you do not giev them permission to do so.
    As for the poster that said his bro is a garda and has driven artics on a car licence, more fool him, i wonder what would happen if he was in an accident while doing so.
    Gardai often do things they are not allowed to do so just cause he does so, doesnt make it right.
    A while back i was moving a truck for the garage I work for, came to a checkpoint and the Garda claimed I was driving illegally as my trade plates only covered me to drive during buisness hours. He was wrong... way wrong. Took both the plates and the truck, wasn't mine so I wasn't overly bothered, but it had a 9 speed eaton box and from what i could hear as he tried to drive it away... well its a good job eaton 'boxes are tough

• Registered Users Posts: 3,799 ✭✭✭KELTICKNIGHTT

fozzie bear was correct,talked to cop i know in traffic and confirmed what fozzie bear said,but under certain conditions

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

miju wrote: »

Under sec 41 of the rta a vehicle can be impounded for been a day or more without nct.

It doesn't matter whether its an active penalty point offence or not

Advertisement