Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Guards driving your car?

Options
13»

Comments

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 8,486 ✭✭✭miju

cheers didnt actually know that. had a look at www.irishstatutebook.ie and couldn't see a reference to it (though its late and i've prob missed it) you wouldnt have a linky handy?

• Registered Users Posts: 2,013 ✭✭✭yayamark

dont have a link but about a year ago the latest road traffic act was amended to allow that.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

slideways wrote: »
    I have been told that the Gardai are not insured to drive your vehicle on the road if you do not giev them permission to do so
    Gardai are 'covered' by the state for insurance purposes.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Gardai are 'covered' by the state for insurance purposes.

Interesting, I remember a few years ago Bertie was down here for something, and was illegally parked - blocked my mother in. So she kicked up a fuss (:D) and two gardaí who were with Bertie's car came over, and said they'd move her car (this involved driving onto a curb about 5 inches high) - She asked were they insured to drive her car - answer was no.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,663 ✭✭✭Beta Ray Bill

I'll tell ya a funny Story about this

A few years back a friends of mine was pulled over just outside arklow. he had a nice car type-r integra

anyway it had no NCT so they took it. when he was taking the belongings out of the car he took note of the mileage.

when he paid the fine to get it back there was an additional 140 miles on it!

he recons they were out rallying it, he said he found lipstick in it too... and he didn't have a GF at the time

Some Garda was prob makin sweet love down by the fire or in this case the back seat of his car while they had it!

he questioned the Garda about it, they basically told him to clear off. we gave him such a whipping over it.

Anyway car passed the NCT around 2 weeks Later and he sold it!!!! HAHAHA!

GAS!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 23,694 ✭✭✭✭L-M

Lol i've a funny one as well. A fella told me this.

All these lads were down in a local car park with all their modified cars, some of them doing donuts etc. The guards came along and took a twin cam on one of them, did a donut in it, and drove off beeping the horn...

Comical stuff:D

• Registered Users Posts: 296 ✭✭Irish-trucker

I've a funny one aswell.

A lad i know who's a lorry driver got pulled over by the force for something silly like not having a no. plate on the trailer.

The guard tells him he's gonna have to impond the lorry until he gets a plate.

Yer man says right , throws the guard the keys and starts walkin up the side of the N7 :D

Guard comes running after him , hands him the keys and tells him to get out of his sight :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭Slidey

I've a funny one aswell.

A lad i know who's a lorry driver got pulled over by the force for something silly like not having a no. plate on the trailer.

The guard tells him he's gonna have to impond the lorry until he gets a plate.

Yer man says right , throws the guard the keys and starts walkin up the side of the N7 :D

Guard comes running after him , hands him the keys and tells him to get out of his sight :D
    Similar story myself except the garda did try and drive the truck but it had a crash eaton/fuller box and the grinding was terrific.
    I was sitting on the ditch waiting for my lift when he came back and handed me the keys telling me to get the owner to tax it!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,557 ✭✭✭DublinWriter

JoeySully wrote: »
    that may be true but can they drive an untaxed vehicle onthe road. all garda cars must be taxed and its an offence to drive a car without tax?
    Garda cars are state veh-he-cals, and as such, are zero rated for Road Tax and do display a Road Tax disc showing this status, but do not display an insurance disc.

Most Garda Divisions have tenders in place with towing companies. I think your average member would prefer to put a call in to get the towers rather than run the risk of Johny-Public suing the state because of the scrape put on his new Lexus.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I wouldn't let the guards drive my car, unless i was in the car with them. Most of the guards are fine....but as can be seen from the stories in this thread, there are a few dodgy one's who i wouldn't like driving my car!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

I'd rather eat my own keys rather than let some <SNIP> sit in the driving seat.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

Warning for Johnny Utah ...language, my friend, language !

• Registered Users Posts: 2,497 ✭✭✭optiplexgx270

I remember watching Road Wars a while ago, and the cop decided to drive a very expensive Merc Sports-car (could be an SL 500 I think) back to the station.:D

That be a SL55 AMG he was in, not a cheap-ass SL500

• Registered Users Posts: 2,157 ✭✭✭Johnny Utah

peasant wrote: »
    Warning for Johnny Utah ...language, my friend, language !

My bad, but the point still stands :D

That be a SL55 AMG he was in, not a cheap-ass SL500

Yeah, it was a while ago so I couldn't remember exactly what it was. I remember the cop got in, and said it was like driving an aeroplane- which didn't really fill me with confidence :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

I recall Garda driving qualifications being discussed a little while ago after a number of accidents.
    AFAIR there are a considerable number of drivers who should have completed the garda driving course, driving on Commissioners (Chief Superintendents) permission for a very significant time as they hadnt done this course.
    It is likely the same permission extends to any vehicle they arent officially qualified to drive.

members of the Garda Síochána are allowed to drive official vehicles in two circumstances, namely, where they hold at least a class B driving licence and have been authorised to drive by the Chief Superintendent, or they have completed an official driving course.

I am aware that garda drivers are likely to be taken off the road for 6 weeks for any knock while on duty and some end up paying for it out of their own pocket rather than be put off the road.

• Registered Users Posts: 22,318 ✭✭✭✭Esel

Seeing as we're doing 'funny' Garda driving stories - about 16 years ago, a guy I know had a Kawasaki 1000 stolen. It was found in a Roadstone quarry by some kids, whose Dad called the Guards. He was there when they arrived, and was a witness to what happened. One guard wanted to ride it back to the station, while the other one wanted to get a motorcycle-qualified member out from the station. First guy insisted on riding it, and promptly lost it on the first bend (gravel road). Owner was getting no joy on compensation for the damage, tried a few solicitors, none of whom wanted the case. I put him onto a biking solicitor, who had no problem taking and winning the case.

Not your ornery onager

• Closed Accounts Posts: 45 LoopyBum

I would think there is a total lack of gardaí with artic licences... so 99.999% of the time they get out an artic towing company to impound artics... afaik...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 363 ✭✭April Raine

The reason I thought it was mandatory is that I regularly hear the controllers on the Garda Traffic Channel seeking a "member with an EC/D/C licence required as soon as possible at..........".

Now I know! :)
    Is that legal and is it the same as listening to their comms?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,326 ✭✭✭Bearcat

they r a law onto themselves the gardai.......i have yet to come across a decent one in a while.....I only speak of the traffic fellas.....I have been stopped tons of times in the last year with checks.....agressive, disrespectful and very in your face. Maybe its just the ones I've encountered. They stopped me one day and said their mates from customs were on the way to check my diesel.....delayed me 40mins farting around....serious.

Advertisement