Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Been hit - what next?

Options
  • 17-06-2008 11:21am
    Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭

Right, this is a first for me so I've actually no idea whats the best way to proceed... quite good to have ~100,000 miles driving and only one accident where the other party didn't flee the scene...

Got rear-ended on a motorway slip today, van driver, he admittedly liability instantly and I got name, employer (their van), phone number, insurance details. He offered to pay himself but his employer wants to go via insurance so they can get their vehicle repaired

I've reported to my insurers and thrown the car in to the dealers for an estimate, what do I need to do next? Didn't go to the Guards at the time because both vehicles were only minorly damaged and we were blocking the slip road, knowing the local guards they'd have been rather unimpressed to have to attend to a call there at 7:50am! The other party has all my details and has said he's going to report it.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 492 ✭✭Hennybug

Best advice is to keep on to your own Insurance Company to make sure they are claiming from the other guy. Alot of Companies (one in particular ;) ) now will say it's not their problem and leave it up to you to chase it. You need to know this asap so you can contact your own Solicitor and have them claim on your behalf.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

report it to the guards ASAP, to get your side reported. even if they agreed liability, always report it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

MYOB wrote: »
    Didn't go to the Guards at the time because both vehicles were only minorly damaged and we were blocking the slip road, knowing the local guards they'd have been rather unimpressed to have to attend to a call there at 7:50am! The other party has all my details and has said he's going to report it.

To be fair, the Gardai can't attend the scence of every minor accident and scrape and if they did, then they'd never get anything done.
    The way it was explained to me is only call them if somebody is hurt or the road is blocked or it was a serious crash. So, you were fine to do what you did.

The other party is going to report to the gardai? Maybe follow up and ask him if he gets a reference number. If not, maybe drop into the station and report it yourself, takes just a few minutes.

It's likely this will go through the employers insurance since it's a work vehicle

So, report to Gardai asap and give your insurance company a heads up.
    You are supposed to report all accidents to your insurance company anyway. It’s on Page 1 of the booklet I got from mine

• Registered Users Posts: 68,902 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I'll drop in to the Guards when I'm at home tonight - work in a different area so can't go to the local station, they won't log it.

I already have let my insurers know, first thing when I got to the office.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,262 ✭✭✭Vertakill

Sorry to hear about this. Anyway, I think you've covered all your bases. Someone rear-ended me on a motorbike recently as well so I'm going through the process also. As far as the guards... they're only really concerned about dangerous driving or anything that might result in a criminal offence but it's probably worth just reporting the incident anyway, in case there's a dispute. Once you have all his details and you've reported it to your insurance company you should receive a callback explaining the situation.

Once you've faxed off your license/logbook/estimate to your insurance company, they'll be able to carry out the rest of the process. The quicker you send those details off the quicker you'll have your car repaired.

Well, unless you're in my situation of course and hes from the Czech Rep. and on a Czech reg bike.. :rolleyes:

• Advertisement
Advertisement