Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Old RC electric Racer wants to get back in Action.. needs advice.

Options
  • 17-06-2008 11:40am
    Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭

Hey everyone,

It's been a while since I races 1:10 electric buggies. Probably over 10 years ago

Clonakilty had a RC meeting every week run by a man who will remain nameless.
    We use to meet every week, Summer outdoors and WIinter indoors. However it went by the wayside after the local model shop guy left (still owes me a championship trophy and left the group with a load of questions, where did all the money we earned go from all the displays we did).

Anyway, after being left disillusioned after this guy, I hung up the crystals.
    I use to race some kyosho Citroen ZX (piece of crap) a Cobra TQ buggy and then upgraded to a Shumacher Fireblade.

Thing is I miss it immensely.

Recently I stumbled across this site, http://www.amainhobbies.com/product_info.php/products_id/10951

and have been thinking of buying the Team associated RTR RS T4 and B4 (when I raced, the car I always wanted was the B3 or was it the B2 Stealth!!!)

i am not going to buy the Factory team spec kit just yet, wouldn't have the confidence of building the kit after all these years away, but after I have reintroduced myself I will upgrade.

However, I'm very competitive in nature and dont really see the point of purchasing these If i cant race them locally.

So Im just wondering is there any RC car clubs anywhere near my hometown or anywhere in Cork?

Plus any other advice would be well received.

thanks everyone

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭bonisio

Always good to hear of an ex-racer looking to make a come back.

The nearest club to you that I am aware of is the Fermoy Model Car Club which run indoor racing each Wednesday night but unfortunately they only run touring cars.

Touring cars is the main EP class in Ireland but 1:10 off road looks to be making a bit of a come back with a number of us having just ordered AE B4 to race in Lucan and Navan.

I heard of the club in Clon before as my brother did a nitro race down there many years ago and was only recently wondering if it was still going. Would be great to get a club going again down there and I'm sure there are plenty of people would be happy to help, myself included, to get it back up and running again.

• Registered Users Posts: 254 ✭✭trendkill

It would be great to get it back up and running. One of the founders of the clonakilty RC CLub was a man named Martin McCarthy, my uncle.

The problem we were told with it was the insurance it cost the man from the model shop to hold the meetings.

the money we would earn from doing displays was apparently meant to pay for this. However, one summer, we did not have 1 race meeting, as every sunday we were doing displays all over the county. the displays would earn about 250 -350 punt a day. So for a whole summer of displays every sunday there was alot of money earned, and then the model shop man just upped and left.

WHere did all the money go!!!!!.

Mutha F!!!!.

Anyway, it would be great to get it up and running again. Might check it out with a few of the old heads that I use to race with, some of them may still be interested.

if anyone can help it would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 906 ✭✭✭FuzzyWuzzyWazza

Good to hear more people interested in setting up more clubs.

I have a B4 myself, new to this whole RC thing, but I must say the B4 is great. I bought that exact model from AMainHobbies, for an Off-road elec club in Lucan http://www.dublinmodelracing.com/. I have upgraded a few things on it so far, new ESC, new shock springs, wheels and tyres and it is going great. One of the guys in the club is selling the B4's pretty much setup for running in Ireland. You can mail him about it if you like, info@dublinmodelracing.com. His name is Mick.

The tyres that come on it are grand for runing on tarmac but useless on grass, more so if it is wet grass.

well good luck with it.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,043 ✭✭✭2 Espressi

There was a shop in Skibb as well, I remember passing it one rainy Sunday, but it was closed for good when I went back later.

The lads in Fermoy are the only active club in cork, with people driving from as far as Limerick to race. PM vectra to get more info, they usuallu race 1:10 EP touring cars in St Colemans Hall in Fermoy. (At least, they used to...)

Only time for a quick reply at the moment, but Fuzzy, how much did you pay on the import duties??

• Advertisement

think it was around the €60 mark

• Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭vectra

Just running out the dor now to go to the club but if you need any more info regarding our club you can have a look on our forum in my sig or pm me with and Q's. ;)
    Talk Later :cool:

well I've had a chat with a couple of the old racers and they are all interested in setting the club back up.

Which is really cool.

So now a bit of field work to find a good location to maybe race.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,540 ✭✭✭✭vectra

trendkill wrote: »
    well I've had a chat with a couple of the old racers and they are all interested in setting the club back up.

Which is really cool.

So now a bit of field work to find a good location to maybe race.

Excellent news..!

Will you concentrate with Onroad (touring car) or
    Offroad ( Buggy )

Nice one

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 98 ✭✭bonisio

Brilliant news. Anything we can do to help just get in contact.

vectra wrote: »
    Excellent news..!

Will you concentrate with Onroad (touring car) or
    Offroad ( Buggy )

Well the old race meetings use to be mardave TQ cobras but we use to race on tarmac, the only time they got off-road was at displays on grass.

It would be nice to have a variation , say one week on-road, one week off-road. The majority of the old racers still have their Cobra's and are 10 years behind the technology so it could be a hard start if we get back into it.

SO alot of advice from ye will be needed.
    Will post again tomorrow after work.

Thanks for the support anyway guys, greatly appreciated.

Advertisement