Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Applying For Retention For Garage

• 17-06-2008 11:47am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭

Hey folks
    Just looking for some help if I may. 2 years ago I started building a garage and the contractor at the time said not to bother with planning to apply for retention at a later date and he built the garage very quickly and all was well & good. if I had of waited for planning application etc at the time i'd have never got it off the ground as this contractor is very hard to get and is the best around. btw I live in a rural part of Ireland and the garage is not an eyesore nor does it affect neighbours as we don’t really have any. so my question is what’s the procedure now? I need planning on this asap as I applied for a top up mortgage and long & behold they want to see planning for the garage which I'd totally forgot about. the garage is 30 x 20 feet and a standard height, which is rather large so it would need planning. can anyone tell me how i'd get planning on this garage quickly and cheaply and what is the procedure as ive never done anything like this before.
    Many thanks

Comments

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

Westwood wrote: »
    Hey folks
    Just looking for some help if I may. 2 years ago I started building a garage and the contractor at the time said not to bother with planning to apply for retention at a later date and he built the garage very quickly and all was well & good. if I had of waited for planning application etc at the time i'd have never got it off the ground as this contractor is very hard to get and is the best around. btw I live in a rural part of Ireland and the garage is not an eyesore nor does it affect neighbours as we don’t really have any. so my question is what’s the procedure now? I need planning on this asap as I applied for a top up mortgage and long & behold they want to see planning for the garage which I'd totally forgot about. the garage is 30 x 20 feet and a standard height, which is rather large so it would need planning. can anyone tell me how i'd get planning on this garage quickly and cheaply and what is the procedure as ive never done anything like this before.
    Many thanks

theres nothing special about the procedure...

engage someone to do the application for you, it would be a very basic application.

dont pay any more than 1500

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 535 ✭✭✭Westwood

Thanks for the reply, so if I engage an architect he’d do everything for me? I have a number here of a local guy who originally designed our house and done some work for my mother so hopefully he’ll be reasonable. Are my chances good on this, there shouldn’t be a problem really should there? And how long would it take do get approved? cheers

• Subscribers Posts: 41,863 ✭✭✭✭sydthebeat

if this is some guy doing it as a nixer, id say the cost would be about 600-700 maybe....

the council fee is 2.50 a sq m so a 20' x 30' is approx €140...

chances are generally very good,i havent seen a refusl yet.
    the time period is the same as any application.. earliest you can have permission is generally 12 weeks...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭Jimbo

As Syd says retention for a domestic garage is highly unlikey to be refused.

Your architect will generally tak care of everything. He will obviously have to measure up the garage, take levels, draw up plans, site layouts and maps, advertise it, fill in application form, site notice, etc, etc, so there is a bit of work in it.

There would be some other expenses also such as Press notice and planning maps if required (~€90)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 39,615 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

Even though its unlikey to be refused, its a very stupid way of going about it imo.
    Retention is for oversights, not lazyness

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,292 ✭✭✭RKQ

Seen a garage demolished recently after a large fine.
    Judge was not very sympathic!

Numerous applications for retention were refused.
    It was a very large garage and its the second demolished in last couple of years!
    Terrible waste of time, materials and money.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,324 ✭✭✭✭muffler

RKQ wrote: »
    Seen a garage demolished recently after a large fine.
    Judge was not very sympathic!

Numerous applications for retention were refused.
    It was a very large garage and its the second demolished in last couple of years!
    Terrible waste of time, materials and money.
    In fairness thats more the exception than the rule. The OP's description would lead most people to believe that it should be a fairly straight forward job.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭SillyMonkey

Ye are saying that its normally no probs for a garage, what about a house. I have a mate who finished his house last year. (BTW he got PP for the house)He went over his height restriction by about 0.4 of a metre. He said that, that was the way it ended up because of the way the guys did the roof. I don't really understand how they went over the height that was on the plans but they did (if he's being totally honest with me).

Now he doesn't really seem to care but if it came up would he have hassle getting retention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

He could do . Depends on site specific details

Sinnerboy what kind of site details, Could you elabourate. thanks.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 5,433 ✭✭✭sinnerboy

depends on what attention was given by planners during considreration of permission

the ridge height is often of particular interest to the planner and may be specifically referred to in condiions of grant of permisission

400mm over is quite a lot

applies more so in urban areas but sometimes in rural too

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 46,324 ✭✭✭✭muffler

Just to follow on from sinnerboy's post one of the things to look out for would be if there was an established ridge height on other houses in the immediate vicinity. For example if there were 5 houses beside your friends house and all had the same ridge height then a house with an increase of 400mm would be a bit dominant and could incur the wrath of the planners.

In saying that its generally not a major issue if its in a sparsely populated rural area with good separation distances between any other houses in the locality. Just like the OP's case here in relation to the garage a lot of this type of development is never a problem until someone goes to sell their house and then the shit hits the fan.

Yeah my mate couldn't understand why he got the restriction on his height. All the houses around him are two storey and are at least 8M high at ridge level. He had to build a dormer of "no more than 7M high" thats why he went over.

To make it worse on the original plans he submitted he went 2M below road level just so the house wouldn't be that high. The original plans were for a 2 storey house 8.5M high. With the house cutting into the site it would stand 6.5M from the road. When he got his PP they put the restriction of 7M and said he had to stay 2M below the road level. I personally thought this was ridiculous.

Advertisement