Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Pulling a trailer?

Options
  • 17-06-2008 12:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭

Hey folks,
    I'm just wondering about the intricacies of driving with a trailer, are there any tips or pitfalls to watch out for when driving with them. The trailers I'll be pulling are small single axle ones that don't restrict my rear view mirror, but I've never pulled one, and thought it prudent to ask around first what the deal is, especially with reversing and such.
    Any trick to it, or is it just practice practice practice in a car park or something?
    Cheers,
    WP.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

It's easy to go forward but reversing can be <difficult> with them single axle yokes. Whenever you park or so, make sure you don't have to reverse to get out.
    Also when turning, keep checking in side mirror you don't fold it too close to the car.

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Just bear in mind that, if you have a category B licence, you may only tow a trailer on a public road which has a gross weight of 750kg or less.

If you are driving on a category B Provisional Licence/Learner Permit you are not legally permitted to tow a trailer on a public road.

Long trailers are much easier to reverse. The trick to reversing a short trailer is to turn the steering wheel ever so slightly and monitor the trailers progress. Always be prepared to move the steering wheel back again.

As they say in truck circles - "a little on, a little off, a little on, a little off etc...".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,323 ✭✭✭wet-paint

I've a full B licence, and the trailer won't be more than 400KG at most. CHeers for the replies.

• Registered Users Posts: 413 ✭✭dsane1

when reversing just take it very slow then light adjustments on the wheel allow you to correct any mistakes etc .good luck

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

A few tips
    If you are stuck in a tight spot and need to reverse or u-turn but haven't quite got the hang of it, you are often better off to unhitch the trailor and turn it by hand than risk doing damage or causing an accident. Move the car then re-hitch the trailor.

If it is very small, I am not sure if you are obliged to have signals and lights on the trailor, but I would certainly recommend you do, because if you are driving at night, it is especially dangerous.

Be careful pulling off, learn to do it very gradually as sudden speeding up or slowing down is more hazardous, especially with a heavy trailor. You may feel quite a bit of jolting on the car.

Braking distances are much longer with a heavy trailor, especially in wet.
    Keep well behind the car in front.

If the trailor is front heavy and weighing down on the car, you will notice your steering much lighter and you probably have less grip on your front tyres.

At speed, trailors can easily become unstable. Dont feel obliged to charge along regardless of the trailor bouncing along behind you.

Keep a good check on your RVM and be aware that if you are travelling a bit slower than general traffic, to make allowances and give people opportunity to pass where safe.

Always check the hitch is correctly locked on and use a safety chain.
    Make sure your load is well secured.

Be more conscious of cyclists or pedestrains especially as you turn corners or overtake them
    Generaly take more care than usual and you should be fine.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭miceal

In response to the above post it makes sense to have lights on the trailer you may know where you are going but the person that could be up your a**e might not know.

Mind the speed when towing. If you are on an open road in the wind and the trailer is enclosed box trailer slow down and watch for the crosswinds

Watch while turning with a trailer. You don't want to take the traffic light out at a junction in turning, just go out wide i am sure you have seen a 40ft do this before. You don't have to go as wide as them but you will need to go out a bit.

If the load is heavy you might think you are driving a go kart so watch the steering.

Make sure you put a number plate on the trailer (Cheap way is to get some white card and a permanent Black marker works a treat) Gardai don't may much attention if you make an effort where i live.

Other then that have fun!

miceal wrote: »
    Make sure you put a number plate on the trailer (Cheap way is to get some white card and a permanent Black marker works a treat)
    I can never understand that mentality! :confused:

For the price of about 3 pints you can get a proper legitimate plate made!

*sakes head*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 361 ✭✭miceal

I can never understand that mentality! :confused:

For the price of about 3 pints you can get a proper legitimate plate made!

*sakes head*

If it is for a couple of hours i would not waste the money on buying a number plate!

I did use a light bar before and it was designed for you to write the number plate on it!

Advertisement