Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Golf V6 R32

Options
  • 17-06-2008 12:23pm
    Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Golf/3.2-V6/1012732/

Anybody got any experience of this particular car? As in having owned or driven one for any length of time?
    Thinking of changing for something with 5 seats instead of the current 2 and also something where I can fit the golf clubs in the boot (without having to take all my woods out as I currently have to!)

Will take one for a test drive when I've time over the next few weeks but any feedback appreciated in the meantime!

Comments

Personally speaking, I could think of many better ways of spending €43k than on a golf. You could get yourself a later nicely sorted m3 for that sort of money.

Its a golf GTI with a bit more power and low down grunt and 4 motion. Save yourself €10k get a GTI. If you chip it, it will be more powerful than an r32 and save on VRT, road tax and petrol.

Prehaps I'm being a bit biased but is there a good argument for spending that extra €10k? Is the AWD system worth it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Nearly 44k for that.........I agree with Ronoc.
    And its not even in a good colour.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,534 ✭✭✭SV

No idea about the automatic(DSG)

but the manual is an absolute beast of a car and makes a holy show out of the GTI.
    not even comparable tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

I think someone here had one at one stage , maybe MSporty. I think they are a class motor and relatively rare on the roads. You could get an M3 for that money and if you were not concerned with the age maybe that might be an option. However if you want to go for something max 2yrs old I think it is a decent choice. I do agree tho' that there is better value to be got, and in nicer colours.

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Golf/R32-DSG/887146/

well okay that one has high mileage, but there are others cheaper than the one you are looking at

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,538 ✭✭✭niceirishfella

Now thats a better Colour!
    nice plate too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,306 ✭✭✭Homer

Yeah I didn't necessarily mean that exact one in that colour.
    More the car itself as a whole. Hopefully somebody on here will have owned one and give some feedback.
    That one in blue is sweet and nice reg too!
    Would also consider an M3 of course just think the R32 is a much rarer car?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

industria wrote: »
    I can fit the golf clubs in the boot (without having to take all my woods out as I currently have to!)

Don't some of the VR6 models have a smaller boot to fit the 4-motion hardware under there?

Zube wrote: »
    Don't some of the VR6 models have a smaller boot to fit the 4-motion hardware under there?

Doh! Never knew that! Cheers for that

• Registered Users Posts: 3,135 ✭✭✭flanzer

Thinking of changing for something with 5 seats instead of the current 2 and also something where I can fit the golf clubs in the boot (without having to take all my woods out as I currently have to!)

As a former MK V owner, you'll still have to take out the woods. A bloody annoyance, hence, forced me to get a Passat (plus a baby on the way!)

• Registered Users Posts: 9,590 ✭✭✭tossy

Its a common misconception that the smaller boot is to accommodate the 4motion set up,the smaller boot is actually to accommodate the rear independent suspension (nerd bit over :) )

As an owner of a V6 4motion car (albeit not an R32) you can't compare it to a GTI (remapped or not) its a totally different driving exp,no turbo lag ever and no wheel spin ever! have you ever tried to get the power down in a remapped MK5 GTI,unless the road is 100% dry and gravel or dirt free then forget about it,you will find yourself feathering the throttle right up till half way through second gear.

The power delivery is 100% instant and the engine never runs out of steam,plus there is the sound,no GTI or M3(e46) factory spec sound can hold a candle to it.

• Advertisement

The R32's boot measures 245 litres; which is almost 100 smaller than the standard car due to the four-wheel drive system. That means space is on par with the much smaller Polo.

Ah poo!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,502 ✭✭✭Zube

tossy wrote: »
    Its a common misconception that the smaller boot is to accommodate the 4motion set up,the smaller boot is actually to accommodate the rear independent suspension (nerd bit over :) )

All Mark V Golfs have independent rear suspension already!:confused:

true about the MK5 golfs,i was in a MK4 chassis frame of mind sorry :)
    (id say anything to keep another BMW off the roads he he)

All the rest of my points are valid though :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭paddydriver

The R32's boot measures 245 litres; which is almost 100 smaller than the standard car due to the four-wheel drive system. That means space is on par with the much smaller Polo.

Ah poo!

Industria, we have a GTI and but for the smaller boot and "extra" road tax I would have got the .:R32. Have two prams to put in boot so no fitting them in the .:R's boot.

GTI has become very common now but still a great car and it fit's us 4 just grand.

Not sure that they say in the OP ad re warranty till 2010 - it must be imported as standard warranty is 2 years in Ireland so 2009 on an 07. We bought an extended extra 3 year's but it was not VW.

Best of Luck in the hunt. Personally now (with no kids) I would go for the M3:D but that's nothing against the GTI.... all said, if I could afford it I would get an M5:D

Paddy

• Registered Users Posts: 7,687 ✭✭✭whippet

tossy wrote: »

have you ever tried to get the power down in a remapped MK5 GTI,unless the road is 100% dry and gravel or dirt free then forget about it,you will find yourself feathering the throttle right up till half way through second gear.

even in the standard mkV GTi without a remapping, getting the power down can be a tricky affair, feathering the throttle is common unless you have warm tyres and a good surface, even flooring it in 3-4th on some not so perfect surfaces can bring the flashing TC light on.

That is one reason why I havn't bothered remapping!! I can only imagine what the ST or OPC would be like !

thats the trouble with front wheel drive hot hatches,my bora is putting out just over 220bhp and i've never once seen the ESP light flash- 4motion every time for me.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

OPC actually deals with the torque steer ok. Quick car too, a mate who has had 2 could always stick fairly close to my S3 unless it was wet. :pac:

I think United grey is a gorgeous colour, nice and subtle but each to their own.

The car in the OPs post is overpriced and it doesn't have a 3 year VW warranty as it states so to me, that particular one screams bullsh1t to me.

The car has the bucket seats and an ipod connection - that does not bring it to nearly 70k - again bull.

Nice car, lovely engine note (I wouldn't compare it to an E46 M3 note though - the M3 is just insane screaming!) the R has a lovely deep note. I nearly went for one instead of the S3 but over the GTI it's probably not all that worth it.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,462 ✭✭✭TheBazman

MarkN wrote: »
    OPC actually deals with the torque steer ok. Quick car too, a mate who has had 2 could always stick fairly close to my S3 unless it was wet. :pac:

Agreed I had a burn up with one on the motorway in the 535 and it was touch and go. The OPC is much faster than a GTI so I can imagine giving the S3 a close run aswell. Anyway sry off topic ish

its not so much torque steer that would bother me as initial traction in our lovely climate and on our fine roads.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

I like these a lot, pretty rare really on the roads around here, noise off them is niiicee!

There are cheaper ones than that on carzone though, its scary really how much depreciation these cars have been hit by and I reckon once the new VRT comes into play you won't see many more new ones on Irish roads again....

http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Golf/R32-DSG/887146/
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Golf/R32/1092877/
    http://www.carzone.ie/used-cars/Volkswagen/Golf/R32/1083310/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,197 ✭✭✭MarkN

Perhaps VW will tweak the emissions on either this or the next R - a new version of my car with ED is actually dropping in tax - a 3.0L petrol ! :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 7,442 ✭✭✭JoeA3

MarkN wrote: »
    Perhaps VW will tweak the emissions on either this or the next R - a new version of my car with ED is actually dropping in tax - a 3.0L petrol ! :eek:

VW / Audi are also about to introduce a new 2.0 TFSI, 211bhp and much lower emissions (in the €290 pa tax bracket) than the current 2.0 Turbo in the GTI and various other VAG's. I reckon the days of the 3.2V6 could be numbered...

Advertisement