Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Programming Groups

Options
  • 17-06-2008 1:51pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭

Hey Guys,

I was thinking about setting up a programming group for people who would like to share and work on idea's with other programmers.

The main idea behind this group would be that programmers across all different fields (Java, .NET, linux etc) and different skill levels could come together and come up with projects to work on between them and hopefully learn new skills.

The group would be open to beginers and the more advanced programmers.

I dont know if anything like this already is out there but I thought if not I could be a good idea.

Of course this group meet regularly (in a pub) :D

Well let me know what you all think etc.

Ta,
    D & D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I think this was mentioned before but I would be interested if a group actually formed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Done and dusted

Cool, Well I'm totally ready to push for this group to be formed. I really want to see it through because i think the benifits could be very good for all involved!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,272 ✭✭✭✭Atomic Pineapple

I'd also be interested, just finished an ordinary degree in software development and would love to get some experience in this way

Awsome....looks like where putting the band back together :D

I'd like to hear from some of the first year college students too. Cause I know when I was in college I would have loved something like this. Not to get someone else to do my homework but rather to have exposure to other technologies and ppls methods.

remember the point of this group is to get ppl of all levels of skills! so no1 would ever be turned away

Awsome....looks like where putting the band back together :D

I'd like to hear from some of the first year college students too. Cause I know when I was in college I would have loved something like this. Not to get someone else to do my homework but rather to have exposure to other technologies and ppls methods

great idea i'll mention it in my dkit forum for anyone looking to do software development and anyne i know currently doing it

• Advertisement

Cool thanks!

This could be good.....could be good!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

Are you talking about setting up a group through www.social.ie? I've been thinking about it but don't have the time to run such a group. I'd gladly join one though.

Evil Phil wrote: »
    Are you talking about setting up a group through www.social.ie? I've been thinking about it but don't have the time to run such a group. I'd gladly join one though.

well I hadnt planned on doing it through social.ie but I'm open to it. I was thinking along the lines of having our own site and forums.

With regards to the time running the group I would accept full resonsibility for this or in an even better situation have a group of us who would run the whole thing. I like the idea of having the group run by the group as a whole.

I personally would be willing to pay for hosting etc for a website, altho if ppl wanted to contribute that would be good too :D

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

I would also be interested in this.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

malice_ wrote: »
    I would also be interested in this.

I would be very interested as well

• Advertisement

Excellent,

Well I guess we should start moving this to the next level.

Do you think it would be a good idea to have a small group of organizers / mods for the group? If so volenteers are most welcome

So on another note. Geographically where are ppl situated? Dublin etc

• Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

I'm in Dublin for the next 12 months anyway. Can't help out running it though I'm afraid.

No worries,

I was thinking of even a get together with some of the heads that would be interested and toss around some ideas (get drunk too :D )

I think the next step would be getting a site together etc. I can look after the hosting at the end of the month when pay day comes along. Any ideas of site / group names etc

Geographically where are ppl situated?
    I'm in Galway, hopefully that doesn't preclude me from joining :).

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

Stick my name in the pot :)

I'm in Galway, hopefully that doesn't preclude me from joining :).

Oh your from Galway.....oh well... :D god no it doesnt matter at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I'm in Kerry Weekends, Shannon during weeks and from September onwards will be in cork during week.

Looks like theres a fair bit of interest in this idea :)

So in terms of a site name how about irishcoders.ie?

I was thinking of hosting this with hosting365, I've used them in the past and it all seems to be good. What do others think about 365 any others you could recommend?

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Kevo

I'm in. I have been looking for a group like this. I'm just finishing 3rd year in computer science and I really want to get some more project experience.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

just finished my software engineering degree in DCU, count me in anyway

• Advertisement

Oh your from Galway.....oh well... :D god no it doesnt matter at all.
    Watch out or myself and kayos will start our own Galway-based group ;).

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Dublin for me:D

I would say online group and then we can meet up in our respective regions/counties once a month or second month e.t.c.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,821 ✭✭✭Skud

just finished ucc comp sci degree, would be interested in this also...

I'm from meath!! woo!! :D

the online aspect is a great idea!!

:D Ok I'll be quite :D

To the rest of the posts:

Sorry for not replying until now! Welcome aboard guys.

Once I sort out the hosting etc we can get this thing full underway :D

On that note anyone good with websites / forums? I was just going to use some templates but if anyone would like to manage the site that would be extra cool!

• Registered Users Posts: 2,719 ✭✭✭cronos

Im in! Just finished a higher level degree in comp systems? PM any required info.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Count me in on the group

• Registered Users Posts: 324 ✭✭greyed

I'd like to hear from some of the first year college students too. Cause I know when I was in college I would have loved something like this. Not to get someone else to do my homework but rather to have exposure to other technologies and ppls methods.

remember the point of this group is to get ppl of all levels of skills! so no1 would ever be turned away

This sounds like a good idea. Finished 1st year computer science in may and I'd like to get some more practical experience in, and like you said, exposure to other methods, etc. I dual-boot with linux, but im useless with the command-line, so learning some linux would be good.

And as long as its free :D

• Registered Users Posts: 190 ✭✭gerryR

On that note anyone good with websites / forums? I was just going to use some templates but if anyone would like to manage the site that would be extra cool!

I'd be interested in joining the group, just getting into codeing so I'll be the wone with all the noob questions :D

On your point above, I reckon you'd be better off using a template to get the thing up and running fast. If someone wanted to manage the site later on they could always do that.

gerryR

• Advertisement

I have setup forums in the past so if you are setting one up I can definitely assist.

I've also developed websites but I prefer to focus on development aspects as I am far from a designer :). Templates are useful to get things off the ground quickly but watch out if you're trying to make changes down the line as they often use table-based layouts that are a royal pain in the arse to alter.

Advertisement