Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Programming Groups

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

Id rather have no site than have a template one - no offence.

It doesn't paint a very good picture for the group. If I had time id put up something but I'm quite busy at the moment :(

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

The combination of coding and alcohol intrigues me, count me in too.

Can probably help out regarding the website too if needed, but like malice_ I'm not much of a designer

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

stevenmu wrote: »
    I'm not much of a designer

Can't we brainstorm this and do it in a group? I know the chances of all of us under one roof is near impossible but if there are more than 3 in a region who can meet up and do it.

All we want(speaking for myself) is a working website that would describe us.
    Or can we get a sub forum from boards dedicated to this?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

I'd be interested in this too, I'm a year out of a Computer Systems degree in UL and working in a telecoms company. Most of my day to day work doesn't involve programming but I do a bit in my spare time.

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Kevo

I'm willing to work on this on weekends. Let me know if you want me to do anything.

• Advertisement

MIN2511 wrote: »
    Can't we brainstorm this and do it in a group? I know the chances of all of us under one roof is near impossible but if there are more than 3 in a region who can meet up and do it.

All we want(speaking for myself) is a working website that would describe us.
    Or can we get a sub forum from boards dedicated to this?
    I'd been thinking a sub-forum/social.ie group would be good too, but thinking about it more I think there's potential there for a good site too, forums of course, articles if people were in writing them, maybe some tools for people working on small projects together, I'm sure some prizes could be dug up for competitions etc. Maybe I'm thinking too much though, not sure what Done and Dusted has in mind.

Well if its a place where people want to submit articles or something I can donate a old site I done a few years back, don't know where the customer dissapeared to though!

http://killarneyonline.eu/fightterror/

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Webmonkey wrote: »
    Well if its a place where people want to submit articles or something I can donate a old site I done a few years back, don't know where the customer dissapeared to though!

http://killarneyonline.eu/fightterror/

Just checked it out, fair play to you;)

We can tweak it and improve it

stevenmu; nah you are not think too much about it, we all are!:D

Am not much of a programmer myself, actually teaching myself J2ME(small project going on) my use ye as lab monkeys(please & thanks)
    But it's all about learning and developing and having fun!

I don't feel it suits what kind of site we should have though but it better than nothing I suppose :)

We should also list all our skills and compile it together to see what we can actually accomplish.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Is a cheap virtual server hosting an option? That we could setup some open source forum software and any databases / webservers we need?

Or is that way too much like work?

Something like this for example.

http://www.jforum.net/

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

marco_polo wrote: »
    Something like this for example.

http://www.jforum.net/
    That looks interesting. Pity I know very little Java so Tomcat, Resin and JBoss are meaningless to me :).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Master-Geek

Logic seems to have left this conversation?

Open source forums, are deemed to hack intrusions. We all know just how many SQL injections are easily done through them.

Jelsoft vbulletin would be the best option. There is a massive modding community for them also. And is far more powerful in terms of user ability. And it would save endless hours having to develop add ons that are widely available at vbulletin.org
    A lot of them, very secure. But most are contributed by script kids.

From a person who runs and co-owns a forum board/chat site, I would recommend vbulletin as the chat discussion software. To set up your own lite forum software would take many months of development.
    And it is quite easy to develop and set up a CMS portal template as the root access for the discussion based website. The admin could utilize the CMS portal to display certain aspects of the discussion website, as well as other nice features that would be useful.
    I'm currently doing one for online shoutcast broadcasting DJ's

Using pre-made templates are a no go, most of them are not XHTML strict, and it would take some time to professionally re-do the CSS to a do-able level. In terms of cross browser compatibility.

I do freelancing web design and development, with a basic use of photoshop.
    If I can be of any help, put me on the team.

lunar pages would be the best option for virtual/dedicated servers.
    But you should consider the option, do you actually need shell access to the server? And do you have the security and administration to maintain it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Done and dusted

Thanks to all who have posted over the last while. My appologies I havent been back to this thread in a while (been mad busy at work)

I shall be back after lunch to post more (just wanted to let ppl know this was not dead :D )

• Closed Accounts Posts: 81 ✭✭dzy

Did anyone ever attend the PHP user group meeting? I did once. A bunch of pedantic nerds sitting around supping on Guinness and discussing whether to use camel case or underscores. Most depressing hour of my life.

If you do manage to get it together, steer clear of their model.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

dzy wrote: »
    A bunch of pedantic nerds sitting around supping on Guinness and discussing whether to use camel case or underscores.

Sounds like a fun evening to me :).

Did anyone ever attend the PHP user group meeting? I did once. A bunch of pedantic nerds sitting around supping on Guinness and discussing whether to use camel case or underscores. Most depressing hour of my life.

That made me and a few guys from Intel laugh :)

I don't drink Guinness and I'm not a big fan of PHP so that definitely passed me by ;). Having said that, did they manage to get anything done?

malice_ wrote: »
    Having said that, did they manage to get anything done?

Not that I could see. It was just a d*cK measuring contest. One guy said to me that he had been coding in PHP since before it was called PHP. He was Ireland's longest serving PHP coder. He seemed quite proud of that.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭adm

on forums.
    vbulletin is the best , no doubt.
    The only issue is it costs money.
    phpbb is the probably the biggest open source one but is prone to security problems.
    simplemachines.org have a good one too. Not sure of their security history.

I'm a php guy and would be happy to help out if needed.

Who would have thought a group of programmers could turn this into such an in-depth discussion on what forum software to use :pac:

The real issue is what language should software be based on, .Net/PHP/Java, and of course if the server should be windows or linux :pac:

Being serious, I don't think a huge deal needs to be made out of what software things run on. Initially at least. phpBB is fine software, as is vBulletin (which isn't expensive), alternately I've tried out a few of the common CMS systems (joomla, drupal, dotnetnuke) in the past, any of them would do a great job, and iirc they all have forum plugins available.

Similarly cheap shared hosting should be fine aswell (and I have an account I'm not really using that I'd be willing to donate). I think virtual/dedicated servers might be overkill?

• Advertisement

When great minds of a collect logic joins a group, it is then that ideas are born.
    And I am sure if people who have no interest in PHP would not sit in a group of such logical people.
    Just like some people would not like to sit in a conversation about non-logical politics.

And it isn't procedural to outcast people based on a particular, it is us nerds/geeks that bring technological marvel to the world.

As an example, your using software that was created by the definition of those people. :pac:

PHP should be used, it has a more popular usage.
    Linux should be used. It uses less resources than a windows.
    Virtual/dedicated would be nice just to control the configuration of PHP, instead of having to do over kill with .htaccess's
    ????

• Registered Users Posts: 2,191 ✭✭✭Feelgood

Tried to get something like this together a while back and it went down like a led ballon :(

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055215864

When great minds of a collect logic joins a group, it is then that ideas are born.
    And I am sure if people who have no interest in PHP would not sit in a group of such logical people.
    Just like some people would not like to sit in a conversation about non-logical politics.

And it isn't procedural to outcast people based on a particular, it is us nerds/geeks that bring technological marvel to the world.

As an example, your using software that was created by the definition of those people. :pac:

PHP should be used, it has a more popular usage.
    Linux should be used. It uses less resources than a windows.
    Virtual/dedicated would be nice just to control the configuration of PHP, instead of having to do over kill with .htaccess's
    ????

Master Geek has spoken.

I have spoken, spoken clearly.

I hope this goes off successfully.

I hope I'm not going to get flamed for this but are you not getting very bogged-down in details that are outside the remit of the original post?
    I was thinking about setting up a programming group for people who would like to share and work on idea's with other programmers.

The main idea behind this group would be that programmers across all different fields (Java, .NET, linux etc) and different skill levels could come together and come up with projects to work on between them and hopefully learn new skills.

The group would be open to beginers and the more advanced programmers.
    As programmers, would it not be best to focus on what the group should provide rather than what infrastructure it's going to be hosted on?

For example. I'm working in ASP.NET at the moment but I'm interested in learning about topics such as DirectX, OpenGL and other languages such as Ruby. Discussions on those kinds of topics are what would get my attention rather than debating the merits of vBulletin over PHPBB or Windows over Linux.

I wonder then would it be worth simply trying to have a private forum here on Boards rather than attempting to build a separate community? Then of course the obvious question is what would the private forum provide that the existing web and programming boards don't?
    Feelgood wrote:
    Tried to get something like this together a while back and it went down like a led ballon

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showt...p?t=2055215864
    I'm not sure how I missed that one :o.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

I have spoken, spoken clearly.

And forgot to wipe the brown stuff off your teeth.

As malice has said a group for programming should not be debating the pros and cons of one forum software Vs another. Programming does not just revolve around PHP/MySQL web dev.

kayos wrote: »
    And forgot to wipe the brown stuff off your teeth.

As malice has said a group for programming should not be debating the pros and cons of one forum software Vs another. Programming does not just revolve around PHP/MySQL web dev.

I don't see the logic to that insult. But If you want to be that way,
    The brown "stuff" is a reflection of your ignorance. Or maybe a lack of interpersonal perception.

I think the forum should not be placed to a specific language. The more programmers there are, that have experience in different languages the more popular the forum would be. There isn't many forums that have great discussions on Ruby On Rails.

The forum should be universal in terms of languages. As it would attract more, and more members.

Having a specific forum of topics only attracts those of that interest.

I am sure that this is logical to understand.

I don't see the logic to that insult. But If you want to be that way,
    The brown "stuff" is a reflection of your ignorance. Or maybe a lack of interpersonal perception.

I think the forum should not be placed to a specific language. The more programmers there are, that have experience in different languages the more popular the forum would be. There isn't many forums that have great discussions on Ruby On Rails.

The forum should be universal in terms of languages. As it would attract more, and more members.

Calm down with the whole logical stuff - I'm a logical person but I don't feel the need to have to use the word in every line.

I agree with this which is why I hope we can avoid getting stuck on implementation details when it's not all that clear what exactly we are implementing :).
    Webmonkey wrote:
    We should also list all our skills and compile it together to see what we can actually accomplish.
    I forgot to respond to this previously so I will respond now and hopefully others will as well.
    I have a BSc. in Software Development. I graduated in 2001 but for various reasons I didn't actually get around to taking a programming job until 2005. At the moment I work primarily with web-based technologies, specifically ASP.NET (C#) and PHP. I also develop desktop applications again mostly in .NET although occasionally I have to support older MFC or VB 6 applications *shudder*.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,468 ✭✭✭Evil Phil

First off there's no need for insults, you have an ignore list. I suggest you use it.

Secondly, if you're new to a community then you should probably try to fit into that community instead of assuming they need you to tell them how to do their jobs, and then going reporting posts when somebody takes offence to this.

So here's my €1 * .02: Done and dusted you (as OP) or somebody else needs to be a driving force in this. Stuff needs to get done - go do it. Discussing it will result in discussions and nothing more.

Somebody needs to bite the bullet and register a domain name, get hosting, install *anything* that you can use to organise a community around. Book a couple of tables in a quiet enough pub for a Thursday night and then announce it to the world.

If you want to send me a p.m. I can put up a forum announcement for you. We may even be able to get Cult to do a boards.ie wide announcement (but I'm not promising that).

Advertisement