Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Programming Groups

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,494 ✭✭✭kayos

lol I guess someone reported my post.....:P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Done and dusted

well alot seems to have happened since i was last here :)
    So here's my €1 * .02: Done and dusted you (as OP) or somebody else needs to be a driving force in this. Stuff needs to get done - go do it. Discussing it will result in discussions and nothing more.

I have to apologies for not getting anything done on this in the last while. My work commitments have been overwhelming, I've been working 9-9 7 days a week and hence havent had time to respond / read most of the comments on this.

First off I will be purchasing a domain name on the 27th of this month. I was thinking of irishcoders.ie but if anyone has any better suggestions please do submit them. Alt I can ask the mods on boards for our own section tbh I dont really care weather or not we have our own site etc, its up to you guys.

Second, the groups will not be tied to any specific language or dev tool etc. The whole point of this group was that ppl with diffrent skill can meet, work on projects and hopefully learn some new technologies etc.

So in short closing date will be on the 27th. Please put forward a final say on if we should
    • Have our own Domain name
    • What domain name we should have. Is irishcoders.ie good for everyone??
    [/LIST]

Once we have the above sorted we can go from there.
    Thanks Guys!

Once again I'm very sorry for not getting back to you soon on this!

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

irishcoders.ie is fine with me

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,039 ✭✭✭rmacm

Evil Phil wrote: »
    Stuff needs to get done - go do it. Discussing it will result in discussions and nothing more.

Just to reiterate Evil Phils point, stuff like picking a domain name isn't something that needs a huge amount of discussion. Sometimes you're just better off going ahead and doing something rather than getting bogged down waiting for everyone to get their .02 cents in.
    Is irishcoders.ie good for everyone??

Yeah sounds good.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 9,689 Mod ✭✭✭✭stevenmu

+1 on the domain name, altough a .com might be slightly quicker/easier to get hold of (and cheaper). But like above, I don't think it will matter hugely.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,835 ✭✭✭StickyMcGinty

yea, maybe even just coders.ie if your going the .ie route

but as someone said, its better to just register what you want yourself and once the a/c is set up allocate different people different sections to set up. and setting a deadline mightn't be a bad idea either, something to work towards...

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

I'll take any decent domain - someone register it! - I can provide hosting if it helps -

Webmonkey wrote: »
    I'll take any decent domain - someone register it! - I can provide hosting if it helps -

Oh yeah?? do tell more :D

Well can use a friends dedicated server - Its a xeon quad core 2.6ghz, 4gb of ram and 250GB HD (raid). its running centos linux 5 with cpanel/whm. Its also running php5 and mysql5.

At least its a start anyways, I don't even see point in a dedicated server for now but can use it anyways.

• Registered Users Posts: 170 ✭✭coolguy

I would also be interested in joining the programmming group

• Advertisement

Since some ppl think there would be no point in having a dedicated site / server whats the chances of the boards giving us our own section? Admins?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,398 ✭✭✭MIN2511

Really? I don't mind any tbh, i think having a dedicated site might be more beneficial...

my 2c ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 249 ✭✭TheGreatest

I'd like to take a part in this too!

I've that server set up anyways with a dedicated static IP so if anyone wants to go making a site for it and put it there and reg domain do so and I can give details.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,301 ✭✭✭twinytwo

im in, just finished 2nd year in IS

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Kevo

So whatever happened to this idea?

I have some time to spare right now and I am willing to try put something together, with a little help from others too.

Is anyone still interested?

What we need to start:
    Hosting - Can anyone provide hosting? Otherwise we could all donate some money and continue to do so if the site gets off the ground.
    domain - irishcoders.ie (or whatever people want).

I think we will need a standard website, wiki (with login), repository and our own forum. Can't be too hard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23 Master-Geek

Kevo wrote: »
    So whatever happened to this idea?

I have some time to spare right now and I am willing to try put something together, with a little help from others too.

Is anyone still interested?

What we need to start:
    Hosting - Can anyone provide hosting? Otherwise we could all donate some money and continue to do so if the site gets off the ground.
    domain - irishcoders.ie (or whatever people want).

I think we will need a standard website, wiki (with login), repository and our own forum. Can't be too hard.

Creating secure forum software would take months. Applying ready available forum software would have to do. Would be easily enough to integrate a home portal from Vbulletin.

Have 3 different hosting packages. All shared, non dedicated.

But as far as getting this project off the ground, is next to impossible as people come and go. Reliability is very absent.

Nice to see it happening, but the scale of development would be too large for a singular person.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

hey , just been reading through this thread and i think it's an excellent idea , i have a very clear idea what we can do with this.

I have just registered the domain www.coders.ie , The following structure should be used in order to make this work.

Each programmer signs up to an account on the coders.ie website , and includes on overview of their exp , education and skill set.

Each programmer then signs up to a group which best suits their skills - PHP/.NET/JAVA etc

Each group then Votes a group head or project leader / this can be changed on a per project basis
    (more than likely the programmer with the most experience.)

Group users submit project idea's , which are then voted by the project group
    Once project is selected , the project leader divides up the work between group members.

Each group will have their own user section for project planning , discussions
    internal mail , Pm's etc.

Project leader will confirm when project is completed , and which members in the group should be credited with it's completion - to stop programmers who drop out or don't fulfill their work load getting credited.

Completed and pending projects can be viewed in the each users account, to measure successes rate and most productive programmers as well as amount of times selected as project leader.

Every completed project added to the account of group members who took part in the project.

All projects hosted under the generic coders.ie name , and source code freely available to download.

Feedback?

Sposs wrote: »
    hey , just been reading through this thread and i think it's an excellent idea , i have a very clear idea what we can do with this.

I have just registered the domain www.coders.ie , The following structure should be used in order to make this work.

Each programmer signs up to an account on the coders.ie website , and includes on overview of their exp , education and skill set.

Each programmer then signs up to a group which best suits their skills - PHP/.NET/JAVA etc

Each group then Votes a group head or project leader / this can be changed on a per project basis

Once project is selected , the project leader divides up the work between group members.

Project leader will confirm when project is completed , and which members in the group should be credited with it's completion - to stop programmers who drop out or don't fulfill their work load getting credited.

Completed and pending projects can be viewed in the each users account, to measure successes rate and most productive programmers as well as amount of times selected as project leader.

Every completed project added to the account of group members who took part in the project.

All projects hosted under the generic coders.ie name , and source code freely available to download.

Feedback?

Sounds good to me. I'd imagine that there is existing software which can do most of this but I am unaware of any which provide all the necessary features.

Is anyone familiar with a specfic content management system. A good one should provide what we need if it is configured correctly.

Sposs wrote: »

Feedback?

Sounds good to me. I'd imagine that there is existing software which can do most of this but I am unaware of any which provide all the necessary features.

Is anyone familiar with a specfic content management system. A good one should provide what we need if it is configured correctly.

Drupal?

• Advertisement

Drupal?

Sounds like your average social network profile CMS of freelancers. rentacoder.com

Cannot see the logic of international people renting Irish Coders considering the currency exchange rate (especially American, usually the top statistic to request freelancing work).

As for the source code of the projects to be open source, would provide many security issues, regardless of intense security principles. Constant updates would be required. Encoders should be utilized by the coders to ensure protection.

It is a nice idea for a Irish equivalent of rentacoder.com but something a bit more creative should be achieved.

Maybe a platform for social networking could be integrated. With full GUI customization for the coder (there homepage) and restricted GUI customization for the client (there account) of the coder.

The more original the website, the more of a response.

Sposs has a grand idea of the structure and management of the platform.
    Coders should have a platform to also "coach" people to a new language. Such as real time lessons, (AJAX can be utilized beautifully here) The more resources a coder can give, the more unique the project will be.

But there has to be a staff infrastructure.
    2 Lead developers
    3+ Lead follow developer
    1 Graphics Designer
    Pen Tester
    GUI developer
    Server Administrator.

Zend Studio (If any of you have it, has remote connectivity for team building projects)

Cannot see the logic of international people renting Irish Coders considering the currency exchange rate (especially American, usually the top statistic to request freelancing work).

IMO the purpose of this is to develop our skills and maybe make some cool software at the same time, not to allow customers to rent us to code a project. This may be an option for the future but IMO we should not do it now.

I guess it will be what the majority of people want it to be so I may be wrong.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I'd be interested I guess, just finished the LC, would be going into 1st year DCU Computer Apps. hopefully, pending LC results.

IMO the purpose of this is to develop our skills and maybe make some cool software at the same time, not to allow customers to rent us to code a project. This may be an option for the future but IMO we should not do it now.

I guess it will be what the majority of people want it to be so I may be wrong.

If it is well then go for it. Maybe if this is the idea, then the website should be started off on a child domain of its' parent, resources.coders.ie
    Using the same idea as Sposs, the resource domain can hold the coders "tutorial lessons" and progress. Each coder can interact with each other when help arises. And if need, a coder can add another coder to their project if the original coder is having trouble with difficult parts of their project.

Then the coder.ie parent domain can be for Coders who are proven enough that they can code to acceptable levels. It would provide some what competition. And maybe put their skills to some use, as selling their software.

Maybe a new thread should be set, so people interested can give their experience of what they know. And what language they are fluent in.
    And in time an IRC conference can take place.

ex.
    Master Geek:
    XHTML compliant
    XML
    PHP (Game programming, CMS, security)
    MySQL (PHP, AJAX, Ruby On Rails; integrator)
    Ruby On Rails (AJAX CMS; integrator)
    AJAX (PHP, Ruby On Rails; Integrator)
    Javascript [framework/jQuery] (GUI's)

Profession:
    Web Developer [7 years]
    Self Employed.

Good Points Master , in terms of breaking out the site depending on what level people are at. The general feeling im getting is the site should be more of a resource to help people get started, or stuck on certain issues as well as the ability to work together on projects.

Ideally so that i know im not wasting my time :) , i'd need to know it's something people would actually be interested in , in as much as offering their time to add to the resources pool and help people out.

Maybe a sticky thread for people to outline , their exp as master has above.

An agreement to the structure of the site.

Just an update on this , there is now a holding/reg page on www.coders.ie , anyone interested please add your details.

Good work.

I would like to contribute to this.

Have you thought of setting up a blogging system where the coders registered to do so can submit blogs/tutorials.

Good work.

I would like to contribute to this.

Have you thought of setting up a blogging system where the coders registered to do so can submit blogs/tutorials.

It's all in the suggested entries for the site structure.
    Have people been assigned to any particular role yet?

Nope, may be bit busy over next month but I'll help if I can.

Skills:

* XHTML (complient), PHP, MySQL, AJAX, Javascript, XML
    * Fluent: C/C++/QT/C#/Java/Perl/
    * CCNA almost
    * Windows Mobile Development, Windows API
    * Realtime programming
    * Linux
    * Graphics Programming - OpenGL
    * Graphic Design - Photoshop. Im very creative :pac:

and much much more :)

• Advertisement

Nope, may be bit busy over next month but I'll help if I can.

Skills:

* XHTML, PHP, MySQL, AJAX, Javascript
    * Fluent: C/C++/QT/C#/Java/Perl/
    * CCNA almost
    * Windows Mobile Development, Windows API
    * Realtime programming
    * Linux

and much much more :)

good good

Advertisement