Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Programming Groups

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

well if we can get everyone interested sign up on the www.coders.ie holding page , i can start a mailing list where all interested parties can discuss the structure and start dividing up the work load/ allocating roles.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,379 ✭✭✭toiletduck

Good idea. Signed up.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,771 ✭✭✭jebuz

I like the idea guys, signed up! Given the current situation I think it's ideal for people to be expanding their skillsets and polishing that CV up!

• Registered Users Posts: 315 ✭✭john__long

Am very interested myself. I'm a beginner to ObjC and have dabbled a little in Perl.

I'm also one of the server admin's for IT Sligo CompSoc. I'm responsible for the current website, forums etc.

Willing to aid in any way I can.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,482 ✭✭✭Kidchameleon

This is great idea,

Sign Me Up!

(Oh just saw the link, singed up now!!)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,234 ✭✭✭techguy

I'm also interested in this... I'm heading into 3rd year Comp Sci in September.

I have signed up on coders.ie .. can't wait to see what comes out of this thread!!

• Registered Users Posts: 15,065 ✭✭✭✭Malice

How are things progressing with getting the site up and running? I've actually only just signed up via the holding page so apologies if I've missed something from the mailing list.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,800 ✭✭✭voxpop

Just signed up now myself - any updates ? Also willing to help out.

voxpop wrote: »
    Also willing to help out.
    I can't remember if I've mentioned it in a previous post but I'm also willing to help out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,082 ✭✭✭Pygmalion

I'd be willing to help out, though I don't have a huge amount of experience, and the experience I do have is mostly desktop apps and not web apps.

• Advertisement

Guys,

I think its a real task to get somebody to actually start something up..

Tog is probably the closest your going to get to a programming group I think.

Tog is a hackerspace that has a rented office space on Arran Quay in Dublin. There are ~24 members IIRC and membership runs at €50 p/mnth

There is a programming meet on wednesday evenings but you can also go there any evening and work on a project with others aswell.

I think this is your best bet if your serious about a programming group..

I'm going to start going there when i'm back up in Dublin in September. My main aim is to learn a few extra technologies like AJAX/C# etc because I will be going on placement next February.
    --

Would anybody give this place a go? I haven't even been up there yet but you can visit a few times before you commit to the monthly fee.

techguys €0.02

• Registered Users Posts: 427 ✭✭Kevo

Looks interesting. I'm gonna drop in at some time today.

techguy wrote: »
    Guys,

I think its a real task to get somebody to actually start something up..

Tog is probably the closest your going to get to a programming group I think.

Tog is a hackerspace that has a rented office space on Arran Quay in Dublin. There are ~24 members IIRC and membership runs at €50 p/mnth

There is a programming meet on wednesday evenings but you can also go there any evening and work on a project with others aswell.

I think this is your best bet if your serious about a programming group..
    Sure it's a difficult task when viewed at a high level. The trick is to break it down into smaller, more manageable goals e.g.

Step 1 - Register domain
    Step 2 - Buy hosting package
    Step 3 - Create forum
    Step 5 - Profit!

As for Tog, it's not going to be any use to anyone who's not based in Dublin is it?

• Registered Users Posts: 9,579 ✭✭✭Webmonkey

True not much good to me down in Cork.

What's the progress anyways.

Webmonkey wrote: »
    True not much good to me down in Cork.
    Phew, I'm glad I'm not the only person on the thread from outside Dublin :).
    Webmonkey wrote:
    What's the progress anyways.
    I'd say an update from Sposs (who registered the coders.ie domain) would be good to let us know how things are progressing.

Sorry guys, just trying to help..

I was only suggesting this place because its not far off what ye are trying to achieve and its already up and runnning..

I know how annoying it is to be always reading about things that are on up in DUBLIN!! i've only been up there for the past 2 years..before that I was in Tipp and everything was up in DUBLIN!!

Any news guys ?

voxpop wrote: »
    Any news guys ?
    'Twould appear not.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭markpb

Pygmalion wrote: »
    'Twould appear not.

FWIW (and I'm not trying to diss the work that's already been done) I think something like TOG (but less productive :) ) would be more useful than another online forum/resource. I've been a developer in Dublin for five years and I love meeting my friends and discussing the projects we're working on.

There's a lot of cool work going on in Dublin that most people aren't aware of (and probably don't care about) but it's hard to find out. I think the work I do in Payzone (designing systems that handle millions of transactions per year) and in my previous company (a small smartcard payment company) are pretty good. Two years ago I got a tour of Magnet's datacentre which was pretty impressive and unlike anything I've ever seen before - how many people in Ireland have seen the backend of a transcontinental submarine cable?) I'm sure others have similar tales.

The possibility to meet up once a month and hear other developers talk about interesting things they're doing would be pretty cool. OpenCoffee have something similar going on but it's mostly for business types. There's no reason why we couldn't do something similar in different areas.

markpb wrote: »
    FWIW (and I'm not trying to diss the work that's already been done) I think something like TOG (but less productive :) ) would be more useful than another online forum/resource. I've been a developer in Dublin for five years and I love meeting my friends and discussing the projects we're working on.
    Problem is that anyone in a rural area can't really do this, I'd be willing to bet that outside of Dublin, Cork, Limerick and maybe one or two other cities you'd be hard pressed to find enough people for it.

I'd say set up a website for it and organise some meet-ups in the major places there, you'd probably get some people willing to travel there if they already know a lot of the people online, which wouldn't really happen if it was a Dublin-centric group.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,312 ✭✭✭markpb

Pygmalion wrote: »
    Problem is that anyone in a rural area can't really do this

Out of curiosity, would there really be many programmers in rural areas in Ireland?

Out of curiosity, would there really be many programmers in rural areas in Ireland?
    Well I live in a rural area, so there's one. Though I'll be starting college soon.
    There probably wouldn't be many, but even then I think it'd be best to have a website/IRC channel as well as just meetings.
    That way ones from Cork and Dublin and <wherever else has programmers> can speak to each other as well as including any rural ones.
    It also kinda lowers the barrier for starting to attend, a lot of people would be more willing to join up if there was a website for it and some active conversation going on.

Well I come from a farm in Kerry, most rural area in Ireland! - however to be fair, I'm in Cork City now and most programmers will end up in some city as that's where the jobs are.

It depends what you define as a rural area. If you take Pygmalion's position that rural areas are anything outside of Dublin, Cork and Limerick then I would say yes, there are. Galway has a few tech firms and two third level institutions that offer programming courses and modules for a start.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,472 ✭✭✭Sposs

Hi sorry for the delay in updates , this is still currently being worked on , there is a far more professional looking holding page up there now.

The structure is being finalised and im approaching companies with regards sponsorship. This all takes time , and when i have the structure/layout completed i will post for review/comments , it can then enter the build phase.

Agree with the comments in terms of meet ups , once we build the community online we can start to build it offline aswell.

Fair play Sposs.

• Registered Users Posts: 339 ✭✭duffman85

Thanks for the update Sposs. The holding/signup page looks great!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭toHex

bump. did this die?

Looks like it - actually though about this on Friday - it never really got going.

Im still interested in getting some groups together, maybe to work on projects around ebj and/or android and maybe use some collaboration software to dole out tasks and keep things moving ?? If there is any other interest, I'll put something together and get the ball moving.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 179 ✭✭toHex

I'm looking to collaborate with anyone working with DotNetNuke (and open web studio). Seems to be a pretty small DNN community in Ireland at the minute.

Advertisement