Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Should I believe Eircom?

Options
  • 17-06-2008 2:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 187 ✭✭

I'm building a new house at the moment just north of Gorey. Now as far as I know there is no broadband in the village and the only viable sources are O2 and a local fixed wireless operator.

While ordering up my new phone connection I decided to ask about BB availability; I told my exchange would be InchB and to check with Eircom Broadband.

Eircom Broadband needed a nearby number to check, so I gave my number (who is only a few houses away from my new house) and they came back saying that there was BB on the exchnge and that I should have no problem.

Now my Sister in Law just cannot get Broadband at all. When asked Eircom said that her line wasn't suitable and wouldn't say why.

So my questions are:

Why can't my Sister in Law get BB if it's in the area?

And if she can't get BB how believable is it that I will be able to?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

Mlo wrote: »
    I'm building a new house at the moment just north of Gorey. Now as far as I know there is no broadband in the village and the only viable sources are O2 and a local fixed wireless operator.

While ordering up my new phone connection I decided to ask about BB availability; I told my exchange would be InchB and to check with Eircom Broadband.

Eircom Broadband needed a nearby number to check, so I gave my number (who is only a few houses away from my new house) and they came back saying that there was BB on the exchnge and that I should have no problem.

Now my Sister in Law just cannot get Broadband at all. When asked Eircom said that her line wasn't suitable and wouldn't say why.

So my questions are:

Why can't my Sister in Law get BB if it's in the area?

And if she can't get BB how believable is it that I will be able to?

IF your sister in law lives in an area that is enabled at the exchange then it is possible that

1) she is on a shared line (means her line will not support broadband) or
    2) her line quality is poor or too long to support broadband

Until your line is installed it is very difficult for eircom to confirm if the line will support broadband or not.

Not an ideal answer but not an ideal world!!

• Registered Users Posts: 14,336 ✭✭✭✭jimmycrackcorm

If you are only a few houses away you could share the broadband there using an exterior antenna. By sharing the costs you cold also afford faster BB together.

You could also save by not getting an Eircom line in at all and getting a Blueface or Freespeech landline number and using VOIP. I've replaced my eircom line with a voip service and never looked back.

Advertisement