Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

TK leaving the blast?!

• 17-06-2008 2:15pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭

Why?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

Alison Curtis is taking over his night-time slot, does he just have a different shift or has he been fired?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,274 ✭✭✭_feedback_

For anyone that doesn't have a notion what the OP is talking about....

Ray Foley mentioned today that Tim Kelly is finished on 'The Blast' which is the night time programme on Today FM (10-12)

It says nothing on the website about it, but presume it must be true if he said it. Strange to have Tom Dunne followed by Alison. Would mean 5 hours of that genre. Although I do like them both.

Presume it would also mean that Alison Curtis would no longer produce the breakfast show?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

A poster on the radiowaves forum attributes the blast-replacing, breakfast show-quitting announcement to Alison herself on her show last night, which, if true, confirms it.

Perhaps it's time for Tim to "Move upstairs" to use a footballing analogy.

Ah right, I just heard the other fella say it today. Came from the horses mouth so. No official word on todayfm.com though. Was she actually on in the 10-12 slot last night?!

Dunno. I was working.

A Post timed after midnight on the aforementioned RW forum was where I got the info.

• Advertisement

Must have been so... I can't access RW here in work.

Wonder who will take over her breakfast show job, and what they'll do to liven up things a bit!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

UPDATE

For the forseeable future all threads about The Blast or Ray Foley will be closed. This is because:

a)Threads about this show always descend into a mess despite repeated warnings from the moderators and nearly always end up being locked.

and

b) Mr Foley has made it quite clear that he doesn't seem happy with people discussing his show on this forum as he is unwilling to accept negative comments. We are merely facilitating this.

Repeated attempts to start threads on this subject will result in a ban for the original poster.

thread temp. closed. I'll check with the other mods that this is the right action. I'm not sure if the blast is rf's old show or how TK relates to it, so I'll get it checked out :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 23,216 ✭✭✭✭monkeyfudge

I think we can let this one slide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

Thank god Timothy is gone.He was a bad presenter that went so awkwardly out of his way not to be a shock jock.
    I have a feeling presenting isn't his best service he could offer Todayfm.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,276 ✭✭✭IRISHSPORTSGUY

For anyone that doesn't have a notion what the OP is talking about....

Ray Foley mentioned today that Tim Kelly is finished on 'The Blast' which is the night time programme on Today FM (10-12)

It says nothing on the website about it, but presume it must be true if he said it. Strange to have Tom Dunne followed by Alison. Would mean 5 hours of that genre. Although I do like them both.

Presume it would also mean that Alison Curtis would no longer produce the breakfast show?

Ta. :p

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

Don't make any referemce to the name.He/she:D doesn't like any kind of criticism so that nobody will burst his overblown bubble.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,683 ✭✭✭Kensington

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,931 ✭✭✭patrickc

no mention of where tim's going though

Im not a fan of Tim's presentation style, (and as I said earlier, I think he could be getting the dreaded "move upstairs",) but I could understand how he could be considered an attractive aquisition for someone like, say, 4FM, the new radio station for the 45+ bracket currently readying for broadcast...

All rumour of course.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

He'd be well suited to Q or 98.
    Wonder who will take over her breakfast show job, and what they'll do to liven up things a bit!
    Maybe another member of the Breakfast Show team...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 131 ✭✭Slicklink

Im not a fan of Tim's presentation style, (and as I said earlier, I think he could be getting the dreaded "move upstairs",) but I could understand how he could be considered an attractive aquisition for someone like, say, 4FM, the new radio station for the 45+ bracket currently readying for broadcast...

All rumour of course.

Rumours on O Connell Street was bad enough!

Tim Kelly, Over 45's ??? Your having a laugh right.

You obviously know something that most PDs dont. I dont think that he would be the type of jock Blocker is taking on. Likewise I dont think that the format would be Tim's cup of tea.

Why is there always one idiot who has to post something potentially hurtful about a jock/newsreader. Tim is a national radio jock, he got there cause he's good. Get over yourselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,914 ✭✭✭✭tbh

slick, anyone is entitled to express their opinions about radio presenters. If it upsets you that much, I suggest you stay out of the forum. Please refrain from personal abuse.

Slicklink wrote: »
    Why is there always one idiot who has to post something potentially hurtful about a jock/newsreader. Tim is a national radio jock, he got there cause he's good. Get over yourselves.

I would usually be the first one to have a go at someone for saying something potentially hurtful about a jock who is doing their job. In fairness, Bondvillain just said that Tim is not his 'cup of tea'. Hardly hurtful.. just an opinion as tbh said.

As it happens, I would be of the same opinion that I don't particularly enjoy listening to him. Don't know is it his style or personality or dry humor, it's just something about him that I don't like. I preferred him when he was on weekends doing the Classic '9 at 11'. Just don't think his attempted funnies like 'Justin Timberface' are that ...well... funny. 'The Blast' didn't suit him. He also seemed to not really give it his all? Take his webpage on todayfm.com for example. Obviously, if he's being moved, Mr PD didn't think he was well placed either. Wouldn't like to see him go completely, but go somewhere more suited to him. It was like he was just there for the sake of it.

On the other hand, will look forward to hearing Alison Curtis on this new show. It'll make a welcome change to a lot of the predictable night-time schedules (including TodayFM's , before this change)

Best of luck Tim & Alison

tbh wrote: »
    slick, anyone is entitled to express their opinions about radio presenters. If it upsets you that much, I suggest you stay out of the forum. Please refrain from personal abuse.

Oh I am the one thats giving the personal abuse am I. Perhaps mod you can read the thread again. There is a difference between opinion and insult as the following post shows (from this very thread). By the way it wasnt Bondvallains post.
    Thank god Timothy is gone.He was a bad presenter that went so awkwardly out of his way not to be a shock jock.
    I have a feeling presenting isn't his best service he could offer Todayfm.

Beautiful, ****ing Beautiful

Yes it does upset it, if you worked in radio, ever, you would appreciate that. So I will feck off to a more positive vibe. I'll leave you to mod the could have beens.

Oh I am the one thats giving the personal abuse am I.
    Yes, by using the term "idiot" in reference to the poster or posters who said "hurtful" things about Tim Kelly.

And yes, they simply expressed their opinions - and did so using far less vitriolic language than you. Are you expecting them to say nothing if they dislike his presenting style? Going by your previous posts, you seem very angry about anyone being critical of the Irish radio industry. You also described Marty Whelan as "cheesy". It's all right to criticise some presenters as long as they're not you/your mates eh?

And I've worked in three radio stations - five if you include community/college radio - but I don't appreciate how it's "upsetting" for people to merely express negative opinions, provided they don't use offensive language.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,293 ✭✭✭Fuzzy Clam

You obviously know something that most PDs dont. I dont think that he would be the type of jock Blocker is taking on. Likewise I dont think that the format would be Tim's cup of tea.

So what you are saying is that Blocker and you are allowed to form an opinion about Tims jocking style but nobody else is???
    Slinklink wrote: »

That is your opinion which,and I don't agree with it,but you are entitled to,as is everbody else to theirs.
    There are some good presenters who are not on National radio,likewise there are presenters whome many believe are not up to standard(whatever that is)yet have managed to make a career on our National airwaves.

Once again you have gone out of your way to criticise other people and yet you feel that you and your friends in radio are beyond reproach.

Slicklink, I get the impression from your other posts that you feel nobody is entitled to express an opinion on any aspect of radio (well a negative one at least) unless they work or have worked in the industry - thus "qualifying" their opinion. If that were enforced there would be no film critics, music reviewers, theatre critics, TV critics etc. Do you get riled up every time you read a bad review of any of these? I find your view quite arrogant frankly.

Okay... can we get back on topic please.

The topic at hand not being Slicklink's attitude...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,722 ✭✭✭anotherlostie

My abiding memory of Tim Kelly was when he presented the Sunday Chart Show. He played the track 'Thank You' by Jamelia, and after it finished spouted some nonsense about her thanking her fans.

He clearly had not listened to the lyrics in which she was 'thanking' her ex!
    You hit, you spit, you split, ever-y bit of me, yeah
    You stole, you broke, you're cold
    You're such a joke to me, yeah

For every last bruise you gave me
    For every time I sat in tears
    For the million ways you hurt me
    I just wanna tell you this
    You broke my world, made me strong
    Thank you
    Messed up my dreams, made me strong
    Thank you

It was at that moment, I decided he was an inane jock and my opinion has never changed!

Anyway, the topic is "TK leaving the Blast?"
    Maybe TK himself will tell us(at least those that care,'cos I don't) what the story is.If not then speculation will just continue and thats NOT a good thing as it can get ugly.

Now i'm off to set up a board to rival this one. WWW.WhyIlLoveIrishDJs.ie
    Not sure how popular it will be though.

Fuzzy Clam wrote: »
    Now i'm off to set up a board to rival this one. WWW.WhyIlLoveIrishDJs.ie
    Not sure how popular it will be though.

This is Ireland... the only thing we love is hating things.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 Bum Boy

Have to say one time at band camp during the course of a three song music sweep from the top of the tim kelly building, two out of three were the same. Yes you guessed it, he had taken his eye off the ball and forgot he had forgotten to cue up the next track. He didn't appear to even notice! Will.I.Am fancied a bit of strange...

Anyhow, he's not going anywhere, he's just having a kit-kat and will return in the am......am......am......enough said.

Damn leotard is too tight now.

• Registered Users Posts: 126 ✭✭windowcleaner

What presentation style did TK have? Listened to the show a lot in the last 3 months and if he spoke three times in a hour, it was good going. And it was the SAME playlist nearly every night - Estelle could probably buy a new handbag with the royalties from this show alone at this stage

Bring on Alison! Her Last Splash is excellent and I'd say she will be the ideal bridge between Tom Dunne (who has really gone downhill in the last 6 months - whats with having his terrible producer on the show every night, moaning and grumbling away in his Nordie suicidewatch accent?) and Donal Dineen (whose show keeps getting better and better). Good to see Today FM rewarding her - now if they could do some remedial work on Tom Dunne.....

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,504 ✭✭✭bbability

Bring on Alison! Her Last Splash is excellent and I'd say she will be the ideal bridge between Tom Dunne Donal Dineen

Oh God no...Yesterday Fm have made a big mistake by removing that show and replacing it with ANOTHER XFM/Phantom type show. The Blast was the only thing that attracted the teeny bopers to that station. Instead of building on what RF and co had done. They should have really made more of an effort to replace the previous night time crew. I felt sorry for TK. I felt he was pushed into it rather than want it. A bit like a certain jock prentending to be Desparate Dan a few years back on 104's funny farm.

There are more jocks out there other than what they have in house. There hasn't been a fresh voice on Today Fm in years.

And I'd also like to state that TK did a fine job with Friday Night 80s before they handed it over to that Cawley fella. At least you knew that TK would be presenting the show nearly every Friday and played proper 80s music. Now we have to listen to songs that barley made it into the charts here and there. Its gone downhill since he left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭Manimal

bbability wrote: »

And I'd also like to state that TK did a fine job with Friday Night 80s before they handed it over to that Cawley fella. At least you knew that TK would be presenting the show nearly every Friday and played proper 80s music. Now we have to listen to songs that barley made it into the charts here and there. Its gone downhill since he left.

Tell me you're kidding me right? Tim Kelly would play the same ****ty twenty songs every week, no imagination or creativity. Is that Walk Like an Egyptian I hear coming around again? Yes it is. They also did this very strange thing with their audio when Tim was on which involved compressing the **** out of it, but seemingly not compensating by increasing the output gain at the end, so everything seemed to be

a. in mono
    b. Squashed down to ****
    c. Lower than any other station on the dial (including Lyric)

Creepy Crawley at least plays a few good songs, although he does have a tendancy to go for the awful Rupurt Holmes stuff sometimes

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

+1. I've started listening to Friday Night 80s again since Philip Cawley took it over. Before that, the playlist was predictable as hell. I for one genuinely enjoy hearing songs on the radio that I haven't heard since my Smash Hits reading days.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29 Dave 2008

Must agree that Friday Night 80s is much better with Tim Cawley. Much bigger selection of music. Nothing like hearing a classic from the 80s on the radio that has'nt been played in a while.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

Manimal wrote: »
    They also did this very strange thing with their audio when Tim was on which involved compressing the **** out of it, but seemingly not compensating by increasing the output gain at the end, so everything seemed to be

a. in mono
    b. Squashed down to ****
    c. Lower than any other station on the dial (including Lyric)

That was probably setting the Orban to, ahem, the "EC" settings. Those who know of Today FM in the last few years know "what" I am referring to ;)

i heard floody on the blast tonight is TK gone?

Hamndegger wrote: »
    That was probably setting the Orban to, ahem, the "EC" settings. Those who know of Today FM in the last few years know "what" I am referring to ;)

Yet another fool who thinks he knows about audio processing!
    The world is full of 'em.

• Advertisement

:)

Bit like the arcmchair radio critics isnt it.:rolleyes:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,025 ✭✭✭Ham'nd'egger

:)

Bit like the arcmchair radio critics isnt it.:rolleyes:

In fairness, what I referred to in saying the "EC" settings is not really a judgement of taste or opinion; it was acting the goof and in an unprofessional matter, no matter how well meant it was.

I would like to state that I didn't know who "EC" refered to when I made that post and I was making (badly) a point about those in general who think they know about audio processing and subsequently make a station sound worse. "EC" is a top broadcaster, admired by myself and many in the industry and I intended no slur on him personly.

on sunday night when Tim was supposed to be on I heard two guys and Maeve Higgins on , it was painful to listen to for the few that I did. is TK gone altogether now?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 jasper9

any further news on where he has gone/or is going

• Advertisement
Advertisement