Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Vehicle tracking device

Options
  • 17-06-2008 2:17pm
    Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭

Hi, I think this is a GPS subject but possibly falls into mobile/security subjects too. Moderator, please move if necessary.

I have a vehicle tracking device installed in my motorhome. It's a UK subscription based service and that I've stopped paying a few hundred a year for.

I opened the unit recently to find that it consists of: a modified Nokia 6210 phone soldered to a GPS card, an external battery pack and GPS & GSM antennas. I've put a Vodafone sim card into it and it powers up, makes/receives calls etc.
    My question is, what kind of signal/text message needs to be sent to the device to retrieve GPS coordinates from it? I'd like to be able to send a txt to it and receive back coordinates so I can track it on Google Earth or the likes.
    Anybody have any ideas?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

The original kit will have been programmed to react to specific SMS text messages and respond accordingly, you'll have to ask the origoinal supplier if they are prepared to reveal this to you.

Asking the question that you did implies that when in the UK you didn't have the capability to query the location of the vehicle yourself and that this could only be done by the service operator so they would probably have the attitude that if they shared the codes with you, you could pass the details to your mates back in the UK who would immediately cancel their subscriptions. For that reason I would not expect them to reveal the details of the SMS codes that activate a response from the tracking unit.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,748 ✭✭✭Do-more

If you don't get the codes you may be able to make use of most of the components to rebuild it like this.

invest4deepvalue.com

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

Thanks for the responses folks. I've haven't bothered to contact the company in question as I wouldn't expect a positive response. At the end of the day they're in business to make money out of subscriptions. They're quiet well known in the vehicle tracking market.
    Do-more, I've looked at the link and that's pretty much the same idea. The fact that mine is a complete unit I'm sure all I need is some sort of software/codes. It will make for an interesting project if I could figure out codes etc.
    Thank's for the imputs so far.

• Registered Users Posts: 25,455 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

You can also buy complete tracker units such as this one....

http://www.globalsat.com.tw/eng/product_detail_00000110.htm

• Registered Users Posts: 1,086 ✭✭✭stapeler

coylemj wrote: »

Ah yes but that would take the challange out of it.:D I see quiet a few on ebay and the likes these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,359 ✭✭✭cyclopath2001

coylemj wrote: »

Being based on SMS could make these expensive to operate. Any versions that could use 3g and post data to an Internet web page?

• Registered Users Posts: 10 halosecurity.ie

Anti theft-tracking is best performed using an SMS-based device.

Sure, SMS is more expensive than GPRS or 3G (Mobile data services) but you should only need to text your device when you come out some morning to find your caravan gone! 10c to recover it ain't bad!

The other reason it's better is to benefit from the coverage SMS has over GPRS/3G and even Voice. SMS is carried on the GSM 'core' so it runs along the voice channel. SMS will work even when voice conversation is impossible -we've all experienced this!

So, when you're stolen caravan is by the beach on the tip of the South Coast you can still track it even though the thief using it cannot perform internet scams using his 3G card!

Advertisement