Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Thoughts..?

Options
  • 17-06-2008 2:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭

GF is buyin me new PC for Bday! Woot :D

Thoughts on the below spec?

Will be used for gaming and photo editing.

Any suggestions welcome!!

Corsair Powersupply 550W Bulk, black,
    MSI P7N SLI Platinum, nForce-750i SLI,
    Intel Core 2 Quad Q6700 2.67GHz
    OCZ DDR2 PC6400 4096MB KIT, Reaper HPC,
    Point of View GeForce 8800GTS 512MB,
    Western Digital Raptor 150GB SATA
    Western Digital Caviar GP 750GB SATA2
    NEC DVD±RW burner AD-7200A, IDE,
    Microsoft Windows XP Home SP2b
    Creative SB X-Fi Xtreme Audio
    Creative I-Trigue 3000i, 2.1 Speakerset,
    Belkin Concealed Surge Protector, 8-Way

along with monitor --> http://www.komplett.ie/k/ki.aspx?sku=341342

yay? Nay? :)

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

Ditch the two western digital drives (yes the raptor too) and get a 750GB or 1TB samsung spinpoint f1. They are faster and cheaper than the raptor.

You should probably go with Vista home premium 64bit as a 32bit os won't be able to use all that ram.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,630 ✭✭✭Einstein

ugh, vista? really? me no likey.

Would i notice that much of a difference in performance with 2GB comared to 4GB?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 35,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭AlmightyCushion

A 32bit os will recognise around 3.25GBs of ram and you're essentially limiting the system to 3.25GBs (maybe less if you add another graphics card in there) for the life of the system. Decide what it is you hate about vista the most and see if it can be turned of or if it has been fixed.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

also drop the Q6700, get the cheaper and 5% slower Q6600

coolio, I guess I don't hate Vista that much, just think it's full of junk that we dont need. XP is reliable and what have ye...
    Q6600...check...
    I wanna order it now, but she wont let me use it till July lol...

• Advertisement

Einstein wrote: »
    coolio, I guess I don't hate Vista that much, just think it's full of junk that we dont need. XP is reliable and what have ye...
    Q6600...check...
    I wanna order it now, but she wont let me use it till July lol...

Use vlite to make your own vista installation and just remove all the things you don't want/need.

New graphics cards are out in a week or so, so they should knock the prices down a little. Means you can get a better card for your money.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,930 ✭✭✭✭TerrorFirmer

Anti wrote: »
    also drop the Q6700, get the cheaper and 5% slower Q6600

His girlfriends paying for it, why bother? Rape her (financially, just to do away with any ambiguity) for all she's worth on your special day. :D

Ditch the Xtreme Audio, piece of Junk, re-named Audigy - not a real X-Fi. The Xtreme-Gamer isn't actually that much more if you're on a budget.

If it was being bought for me, I'd get something like this:

Q6700
    4Gb Ram
    Asus Xonar
    9600GT x 2 (maybe 8800GT x 2 seeing as they're so cheap now)
    Blu-Ray reader

You can always buy stuff like Ram yourself seperately if you're on a budget...

Monitor looks OK, have you looked at Dabs Value and Pixmania's 'value' 24"? 1920x1200 24" monitor for 260.....naturally you'd be suspicious but from all the reviews I've read it's surprisingly decent, low response time, good for gaming, good picture etc. Might be worth a look!

cool terror, will def check it out!
    still not sureo n the whole Vista/XP thing tho...:(

My 24" DGM 'Value' monitor arrived today. 260 euro for a 24" 1920x1200 monitor - so far, seriously loving it. Great color, excellent for games, seriously impressed. The only strange thing is that the monitor is strangely lightly - practically weighs nothing at all to pick up, about 30% the weight of my 20" samsung!

Haven't tried the inbuilt speakers yet though, but hardly a big concern. Black finish and blue LED power button matches my 900 case and leds. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,401 ✭✭✭✭Anti

His girlfriends paying for it, why bother? Rape her (financially, just to do away with any ambiguity) for all she's worth on your special day. :D

Ditch the Xtreme Audio, piece of Junk, re-named Audigy - not a real X-Fi. The Xtreme-Gamer isn't actually that much more if you're on a budget.

If it was being bought for me, I'd get something like this:

Q6700
    4Gb Ram
    Asus Xonar
    9600GT x 2 (maybe 8800GT x 2 seeing as they're so cheap now)
    Blu-Ray reader

You can always buy stuff like Ram yourself seperately if you're on a budget...

Monitor looks OK, have you looked at Dabs Value and Pixmania's 'value' 24"? 1920x1200 24" monitor for 260.....naturally you'd be suspicious but from all the reviews I've read it's surprisingly decent, low response time, good for gaming, good picture etc. Might be worth a look!

I see where your comming from, but id personally drop the Q6700 for a Q6600 and get a second monitor. Nothing like playing a game while watching a movie or reading irc.

• Advertisement

Anti wrote: »
    I see where your comming from, but id personally drop the Q6700 for a Q6600 and get a second monitor. Nothing like playing a game while watching a movie or reading irc.

I'll give it a try but I have a feeling my mad skillz will degrade a bit, trying to play online and read a novel at the same time! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

drop the 8800 and pick up the new 4870 , and maybe an aftermarket cooler?.

See my Just ordered thread!

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 3,357 ✭✭✭papu

?

Advertisement