Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Multi Channel DMX controlers.

Options
  • 17-06-2008 3:17pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭

I have only recently decided to have more control over lighting and considering buying a multi channel DMX controller. Up until now I have had my lighting on auto / sound pick up mode. Any suggestions on best makes taking into consideration price, ease of use etc?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,323 ✭✭✭Savman

Elation.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭frobisher

Funny, I was just thinking to myself about the other areas that fall under the title "Music Production." And here you are with your talk of DMX controllers.

What else would MP'ers regard as comfortably falling with in this realm?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,009 ✭✭✭✭Run_to_da_hills

frobisher wrote: »
    Funny, I was just thinking to myself about the other areas that fall under the title "Music Production." And here you are with your talk of DMX controllers.

What else would MP'ers regard as comfortably falling with in this realm?
    Lighting and effects would be just as important to a band as having sound. I also thought of putting it in the DJ or music or bands forum. Professional bands would have more experience with DMX controllers than mobile DJs as they must involve stage washes, spot lamps and controlled haze environments on stage.

I for one would defo like to see/hear more lampie talk on here.

Well if anyone wants to talk LED screens I'd be very happy to do so! They may be the new kids on the block in regards to concerts but they're ubiquitous at big gigs now and as the price is finally falling we'll be seeing ever more of them at smaller shows I reckon.

Actually, a lot of lamps are heading the LED way too. A little outside my field buy it's definitely happening.

• Advertisement

Well if anyone wants to talk LED screens I'd be very happy to do so! They may be the new kids on the block in regards to concerts but they're ubiquitous at big gigs now and as the price is finally falling we'll be seeing ever more of them at smaller shows I reckon.

Actually, a lot of lamps are heading the LED way too. A little outside my field buy it's definitely happening.
    I still have an some old school stage wash lamps that uses expensive halogen bulbs. One in particular uses three, it fell over not too long ago and cost me e80 on replacement bulbs alone.

The moving heads I use come with MSD 250 & 150 halogen bulbs which cost up to e140 each :eek: LED is definitely the way to go, they are much more compact and versatile and don't heat up as much. Another thing I am very interested in is lasers particularly RGB ILDA compatible which have also dropped in price in recent years.

Maybe a seperate forum on lighting & effects. It is a topic with interest to mobile DJ, stage production, bands, movie and arts

• Registered Users Posts: 3,816 ✭✭✭unclebill98

Well, I've just finish(well its never really finished) my FOH upgrade. Lights are something i'm getting into. Had a gig last weekend and had a basic(When i say basic, I mean we've just started) light show done via one of those elation desks.

Made a world of difference to the whole show.

After seeing LED's in action, I feel there not good to look at but defo good for wash on stage.

I've just fallen in love with Martin Smartmacs(thanks Savman). What a head. Expensive, but i'd feel they'd be money well spent Some great features on them. Where using Minimacs at the min, which are great too.

Smoke machines are a must too, makes a light show a light show. Hazers can be a bit to much hassle, mainly when left ldle for a few days etc.

Leds draw less power and heat, which is a must in those dodgy castles!!!

Well, I've just finish(well its never really finished) my FOH upgrade. Lights are something i'm getting into. Had a gig last weekend and had a basic(When i say basic, I mean we've just started) light show done via one of those elation desks.

Made a world of difference to the whole show.

After seeing LED's in action, I feel there not good to look at but defo good for wash on stage.

I've just fallen in love with Martin Smartmacs(thanks Savman). What a head. Expensive, but i'd feel they'd be money well spent Some great features on them. Where using Minimacs at the min, which are great too.

Smoke machines are a must too, makes a light show a light show. Hazers can be a bit to much hassle, mainly when left ldle for a few days etc.

Leds draw less power and heat, which is a must in those dodgy castles!!!
    Martin moving heads are in a league of their own, (and a price of their own!) I was in one club in London over the weekend that had their club logo built into the gobos of about 8 Mac lamps in full colour. The Martin RGB laser is over e44.000 when the average price of a club laser is less than 5 k and this is just a for fixed head unit. :eek: http://www.musicstore.com/is-bin/INTERSHOP.enfinity/WFS/MusicStore-MusicStoreShop-Site/en_EN/-/EUR/ViewProductDetail-Start;pgid=TOZgS6SfaObm0000000000000000WEhuhFFQ?CatalogVideo=&ProductUUID=6K3VqHzlkMQAAAEZv.0bhw5o&CatalogCategoryID=c8XVqHzlZJ4AAAEVKh1Wf70R&JumpTo=OfferList

I tend to be an oppertunist buyer and would get stuff that is being cleared out of refurbished night clubs (sometimes from skips!!). Macs are a long way off. I am currently using 2 EVL minispots which are not bad for the cash. As for smoke and haze I would not use anything else other than the Jem /Martin. (I am looking for a heater block for a magnum 2000 anyone??)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,579 ✭✭✭jimi_t

The really important thing when buying all this is to recognise the power requirements. A lot of the more heavy duty lights won't even run off 13 amp sockets, you'll need a 3 phase outlet - which then necessitates buying or renting beta-packs, distros etc... Then again, I'm more familiar with theatre-size lighting rigs

That lazer looks like something the US Army would use!!!!

Im using Martin Jem stuff, solid build.

• Advertisement

That lazer looks like something the US Army would use!!!! Im using Martin Jem stuff, solid build.
    That Martin Laser puts out a max of, 1.6 W and is not something one would stare into at in a night club. These would be used in large football stadium type venues for the likes of Madonna, U2 and large production and not for the small guys.

I’m using also few Martin Destroyer Gobos as the bulbs are only e5 on EBay. Also the Magnum 800’s and Jem Technohaze which I cannot fault. The only disadvantage of the Magnum 800s is that they have only a 1 ltr fluid capacity. Martin & Gem are all the one but I find I can pick up Gem stuff on EBay cheaper than Martin and this is down to the badge.

I've been running a weekly live music night which is about to relaunch in a new venue and I'm taking things up a few notches. I've been using a back drop with a single lamp with different gels. Nice enough but not exactly exciting. Any of you lampy boys got any pointers or ideas on putting together a cheap and cheerful solution that might be a touch more interesting?
    Here's the night; The Song Room relaunches in The Globe on Wednesday nights from July 9th. (spam-tastic!!! :p)

Thats a dead link.

The Facebook servers have been dipping and and out over the last few hours, I it's just that.

Thats a dead link.

Facebook servers are back in the room.

If you want "exciting" you have to go for intelligent fixtures but you can do nice colour washes with basic pars and LED's. If you are going into Intels, don't waste your money on the el cheapos, they are just not the same build quality as Martin or Robe.

Nothing I hate worse than the Phoenix Nights-esque non-synchronised lights that Dj's insist on using. Setting up a Master/Slave combo is easy and only take 2secs to rig so it's nothing but pure laziness tbh.

With regard to all lighting, it's not what you have it's very much how you use it.

Savman wrote: »
    With regard to all lighting, it's not what you have it's very much how you use it.

So they're a bit like willies then?

frobisher wrote:
    Any of you lampy boys got any pointers or ideas on putting together a cheap and cheerful solution that might be a touch more interesting?
    So they're a bit like willies then?
    :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭thumpybum

Great topic, would love to see more discussion on it as well. I run a band and DJ, for the band Ive got 2 stage washes with 4 sets of 2 x 250Watts in each so all on would give 2k a side. VERY bright but as always the bulbs are going quickly. The ENH bulbs go for around the 7:50e mark on thoman, hard to find for less then 12e in Ireland if stuck. Easy sound chase program for most nights from a simple controller.

After doing a lot of research and asking on the english and american DJ forums I recently purchased 2 LED american DJ revo IIIs for around the 190 mark each (got best price off an ebay store), theyre the absolute doggies. Serious throw for a DJ light, 2 weeks ago in knightsbrook in Trim (big big room) punter down the back came up and asked could I point the light a different way as it was blinding him, I was chuffed!! :D

As Im spending between 350-400 euro a year on bulbs Im currently looking for an LED solution for the band. theres a great list at nice prices here
    http://www.mediazero-shop.de/catalog/default.php/name/LED%20Systems/cPath/60_508

But Ive yet to have something recommended to me from an impartial source.

LED Par Cans are the best option for bands these days, zero maintenance and fairly cheap too. Bit of a no brainer really.

I'd strongly recommend investing in a cheap n cheerful DMX board, it just opens up so many possibilities that you'll never go back to simple music chase mode.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭thumpybum

Savman
    Would you be able to advise then what something like this dmx controller would do

http://www.thomann.de/ie/showtec_lightfoot_dmx512_bulgin_bodencontroller.htm

instead of this more basic chaser type (I have something similar)

http://www.thomann.de/ie/stairville_dc405b_lauflichtsteuerung.htm

Chasing has always been suitable for our needs, but onwards and upwards and all that.

They look like dimmers you posted links to, fine for anything up to 8 channels of DMX control (PAR cans) but pretty much useless for intelligent fixtures. I see where you're coming from with the floor thing, but how hard is it to press a button in between songs? Surely someone in the band can do it...

Then you can flip thru various colour schemes and scenes/banks with ease.

• Registered Users Posts: 6 toasterbass

i have two types of evl controlers they suit your evl heads perfectly
    the evl pro controler is very easy to set secens on but i find with out a light enginer i use the evl micro controler it has a sound to light funcition that can be switched to smooth so your lights slow down and it looks more like a show than a disco i know the guy who imports evl into northen ireland they also go under the name lfx pm me and i can send you his details if you need them.
    regards toasterbass.

the evl pro controler is very easy to set secens on but i find with out a light enginer i use the evl micro controler it has a sound to light funcition that can be switched to smooth so your lights slow down and it looks more like a show than a disco i know the guy who imports evl into northen ireland they also go under the name lfx pm me and i can send you his details if you need them.
    regards toasterbass.
    how evl many evl times evl can you evl say evl in the evl one evl sentence?

Savman wrote: »
    how evl many evl times evl can you evl say evl in the evl one evl sentence?

:D

regards toasterbass.

Uhhhh.... that post made me dizzy.

Advertisement