Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Asked simple questions but didnt get the right answers

Options
  • 17-06-2008 3:18pm
    Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭

Hello all! i wanted to know a few things from eircom about the new upgrade and if my modem could support it. I asked

"Hello i have a few questions. Has the date been finalised for the
    upgrade from 3mb to 7.6mb? And also because im a long standing customer
    i have an older modem witch probably wont support more than 3mb due to it being ADSL 1,
    so will i be getting a replacement or will this modem support the upgrade. It is a netopia, cayman 3300 series.
    Thanks in advance"

They replied

"Dear X,

Thank you for your recent email to Technical Support.

In regard to you recent query, your modem should be fine for your
    connection. We do not have any details about your account, therefore
    please contact our tech support help desk on 1890 260260, option 1, as
    the issue you have requires full troubleshooting.

As an upgrade of your packages, new modem should be issued automaticaly
    by our sales dept. If you have upgraded via sales or online, pleas call
    sales on 1800 503 303.
    Apologies for any inconvenience caused.

Kind Regards,

eircom net Residential Technical Support."

Why do i need troubleshooting..... Thats just a bad answer. And when did i say i went though sales for an upgrade....is it not automatic...annoying as hell seeing as it took me a long time to find there email!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,660 ✭✭✭crawler

ADSL modems support up to 7.6Mbps so you don't need a new modem.

Your LINE however may not support the speed - post the SNR etc here and we will tell you what you are likely to get.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Asymmetric_Digital_Subscriber_Line

• Registered Users Posts: 2,281 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

These upgrades should be automatic.

Also your modem should support up to 8Mbps as this is the limit for ADSL (ADSL2 is over 8Mbps) so I can't see any reason why you would need a new modem.

I think some posters on this forum have mentioned that the upgrades should be happening around the beginning of July, but maybe I'm wrong on this.

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭circos

I wasnt too familiar with ADSL thanks for the info. Why couldnt eircom just give some simple answers?? I just dont get it.

No problem - any time.

Regarding the simple answer - "never let let simple things get in the way of a complication" :)

Actually, a simple "yes" would have done the trick.

could get cheesey and use the old KISS way of thinking (Keep It Simple Stupid). They should hang that up in their cubicles :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,752 ✭✭✭Bohrio

circos wrote: »
    I wasnt too familiar with ADSL thanks for the info. Why couldnt eircom just give some simple answers?? I just dont get it.

The following netopia routers are not compatible with the Eircom's ADSL2+ network upgrade:

Netopia 3341
    Netopia 3342
    Netopia 3346
    Netopia 3346 W

The following routers require firmware version 770R3 or higher:

Netopia 3347 nwg
    Netopia 2247 nwg
    Netopia 2247 -02

mine is a 3300 which seems like an earlier version to most. I got eircom broadband when i first came out basically so im thinking mine wont support it..thats why i emailed them.

The 3Mbps to 7.6Mbps is ADSL not ADSL2+ so your modem should be fine

circos wrote: »
    mine is a 3300 which seems like an earlier version to most. I got eircom broadband when i first came out basically so im thinking mine wont support it..thats why i emailed them.

That list was sent out by Eircom a few months ago.

I know people have experience problems with Netopias 3341/2/6 on BT's LLU2 (ADSL2+) systems too which corroborate Eircom's communicate.

I think you should ask them again. On the base of your modem you will find the exact model number.... if you are not their customer then contact your ISP but they will have the same information.

Ill find out. I just find it so funny that they cant just answer a question directly.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 362 ✭✭theone

crawler wrote: »

I thought it was adsl2+ alot of people won't be getting near the 7.6 if the upgrade is only adsl I'll include meself in that.

• Registered Users Posts: 20,994 ✭✭✭✭dxhound2005

I had a Zyxel Prestige 630 modem since May 03. I'm on 3 Meg. In Feb shortly after the upgrade was announced I rang Eircom Broadband Support to see if I would need a new modem. Spoke to 3 different people, none knew anything about the upgrade so I decided to leave it for a while. On the Eircom site it said I should get new firmware from Zyxel but their site said it is no longer supported.

Rang Eircom again about a month ago spoke to 3 more people, none of them knew anything about the upgrade except one said it was for Business only. I then rang Sales and told them my modem was broken and they sent me a Netopia 2247. I figured this was the only way to get a new modem as no one in Broadband Support seems to know about the upgrade. I doubt very much if people with old modems will get replacements sent automatically.

Circos what is their e mail address? I spent a long time looking but failed to find it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 28 Leatherbelly

says they'll be rolled out by june in the below story from finfacts in january.

31 jan 08 - finfacts.ie

Eircom today announced plans to significantly increase broadband speeds for broadband customers nationwide, through a combination of speed upgrades and new products.

The changes also apply to all wholesale customers, enabling other operators to offer new broadband products to the Irish market. Retail broadband customers will continue to pay the same monthly fee and will receive the speed upgrades free of charge, while today's announcement will provide lower wholesale broadband prices.

Eircom will now offer broadband products with download speeds that range from 1Mb up to 12Mb per second. The speed upgrades and new products will be introduced on a phased basis over the coming months.

More than 240,000 wholesale and retail customers will now see their broadband download speeds increase. These speeds will range from 3Mb per second to up to 12Mb per second.

Customers currently availing of a 3Mb, 4Mb or a 6Mb product will see significant increases in downloads speeds which will at least double. They will be upgraded to 7.6Mb, 10Mb and 12Mb product respectively. Customers currently using a 2Mb product will be upgraded to a 3Mb product.

The dates for each of the changes are being finalised with rollout to customers between now and June.

Commenting on the announcement, Rex Comb, CEO, Eircom said, "Eircom is responding directly to customer needs and levels of broadband usage by introducing increased speeds. Customers are maximising the benefits of their broadband connection through the increased use of online applications such as video streaming, online gaming, music downloads and peer to peer applications. The introduction of these higher speeds benefits broadband users nationwide and is the next step in the rollout of Eircom's Next Generation Network".

It is

In fact, BT's LLu2 8 mb is ADSL2+

The fact that its only 7.6 it doesnt mean it wont be ADSL2+

ADSL or G.DMT can hold speeds of up to 12 mb (8mb) and they are currently available but you have to be willing to pay a price.

Eircom are upgrading exchanges to ADSL2+, same as BT has done, same as Smart and Magnet did long time ago. There is the possibility however that they might use ADSL(1) or gdmt to provide 7.6 mb on some customers, but that wont happen on the upgraded exchanges.

That list of routers was given by Eircom themselves.

I had a Zyxel Prestige 630 modem since May 03. I'm on 3 Meg. .

Zyxel 630 wont work I am afraid.

But if you want to be sure just wait for the upgrade...

For example, although Eircom have stated that Netopias 3346 wont work on their ADSL2+ I have seen some them work on it, although I have never seen a P630 work :(

A few months ago I was part of their trial (ADSL2+) and I tested a Zyxel 630, it didnt work at all...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

Pray tell. Where did this info come from? I can't believe that even Eircom would be that short sighted. If it was ADSL I can't see why there is a delay so. Makes no sense not rolling out 2+ late and all as this is to do it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,764 ✭✭✭Valentia

As I've just said on another thread in case ye missed it.........
    Near enough from the horses mouth! Weekend of July 4th and it is definitely ADSL2+.

the email address i sent to was general.info@eircom.net

Advertisement