Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back a page or two to re-sync the thread and this will then show latest posts. Thanks, Mike.

coarse fishing in galway

• 17-06-2008 3:56pm
    Registered Users Posts: 28

does anybody fish near galway for coarse fish or pike. tell anyone if you know of any good spots

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,107 ✭✭✭adonis

river suck got it goin on

• Closed Accounts Posts: 96 ✭✭BlueBandit

No shortage of a roach bream or hybrids in corrib. Recieves very little coarse fishing pressure though and its a big feckin lake so be prepared to put some work into it. Plenty of bream around Maum direction though. As mentioned the suck is another good spot, Havnt fished it myself recently but apparently Ballinalsoe is producing good catches again:D

• Registered Users Posts: 28 dannyhandy

adonis wrote: »
    river suck got it goin on

what part of the river suck? is it handy to park? whats in there?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,616 ✭✭✭8k2q1gfcz9s5d4

dannyhandy wrote: »
    what part of the river suck? is it handy to park? whats in there?

i live in ballyforan, around 15 mins from ballinasloe, every weekend there are always people course fishing at the suck in ballyforan at the bridge, so there is a fair bit or bait going in. I dont fish there a lot myself, so i cant really say how it is fishing, but i see a lot of people camping at the river bank for a few days, and i doubt they would stay if they were getting no fish!

there is a carpark the roscommon side of the bridge, can hold around 10 cars (never seen it full!). there is also a facility to launch boats on the roscommon side. if you are going to fish there, fish the galway side (the side with all the trees) walk down stream into the second field, there should be a few swims cut out there, that is probably the best place, the river is pretty deep there, its only 3-4 feet under the bridge. you would get bream down stream as well, but you will probably have to make your own swim, and the bank can be very dangerous, it gets a bit undercut, and is deep!

3 main bits if advice if you are going to fish in ballyforan
    1. prebait the night before!!
    2. arrive at your swim early the next morning, as there is a good chance it could be taken (very annoying if it was prebaited!!)
    3. BRING BUG SPRAY!! you will be fishing on the edge of a big wood, you will be eaten alive by midges without bug spray!!

hope this helps, i recently posted a few pics of course catches in the "post a pic of your catch" sticky, those were cought within a mile of ballyforan on the suck

tight lines!

Advertisement