Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

kjw p226 mag!

Options
  • 17-06-2008 4:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭

All, when i put gas into the mag, it starts p***ing out the top of the mag. :mad:It seems like, where the hammer of the pistol strikes the mag is goosed. Is their any fix to this?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 683 ✭✭✭Head_Hunter

Sounds like the o-ring on that valve may have been misplaced or damaged.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,533 ✭✭✭iceage

whens its empty, give it a good lash with some silicone. Work the valve open and closed by gently pushing it in and out. Fingers crossed thats should sort it out.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 323 ✭✭birdman 1979

iceage wrote: »
    whens its empty, give it a good lash with some silicone. Work the valve open and closed by gently pushing it in and out. Fingers crossed thats should sort it out.

did the job. I realy didn't fancy buying a new mag. I have being hearing that they are crap. cheers iceage. :D

did the job. I realy didn't fancy buying a new mag. I have being hearing that they are crap. cheers iceage. :D

Glad to be of help mate:D Silicone is your best friend with this gear, make sure its silicone though and not WD40 as that tends to eat and damage rubber seals and O rings. The P226 is a nice piece I have one myself, best of luck with it.

iceage wrote: »
    Glad to be of help mate:D Silicone is your best friend with this gear, make sure its silicone though and not WD40 as that tends to eat and damage rubber seals and O rings. The P226 is a nice piece I have one myself, best of luck with it.

It seems to be the holy water of airsoft. :D. Yea it a nice ggb, i have had it for a while. One quick question have do find yours being a bit greedy with gas lately? I am lucky to get about a mag and a half from a fill.

• Advertisement

What gas you using? 134a, green or propane? and coming into summer times now it might start using more, but hey its greedy anywhy with that heavy metal slide. Just keep filling her!

Dam straight. I am useing propane and green. Propane is cheap so goose it. great ggb all the same

• Registered Users Posts: 1,542 ✭✭✭Tactical

My KJW P226 mag started leaking again last night.

This is the extra mag that I purchased and not the one supplied with the P226.

When I had initially purchased the extra magazing I noticed its construction was different to the one supplied with the pistol. On the first fill of gas it was leaking and naturally didn't operate the pistol correctly.

I had carefully tightened the screw on the botrtom of the magazine located next to the fill valve. This appeared to cure the problem, but last night it reared its ugly head again.

I had a look on the internet regarding this problem and other peoples experience and the best I could come up with was that people seemed to put sewing thread around the o-ring that seals the two body peices of the magazine. I felt that this is a little inadequate and I was asking myself the question why was sewing thread used? To fill the gap surely. What would you use to seal a water fitting or gas or compressed air fitting? Answer = PTFE tape & where required Red Foliac compound.

I disassembled the magazine and applied a few turns of PTFE tape over the lower peice of the body, directly over the o-ring and also around the smaller o-ring that seals the screw.

Reassembling the body and carefully tightening the screw (so as not to damage the threads or allen head) provided what seems to be an adequate cure to the leak. This morning the mag is still full of gas. I'll check it again this evening but I'm a lot more hopeful that te leak has been cured.

So it does seem that poor sealing by the body o-ring and in all probability the o-ring under the screw are the main offenders in this type of magazine. PTFE tape would seem to be a more logical solution to sealing these magazines rather than the sewing thread fix that I have seen on the internet.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

I've reposted this link to a thread I started a few times:

http://www.boards.ie/vbulletin/showthread.php?t=2055301567

I have a link there as well as follow up advice on sorting out mag seals, increasing efficiency, and you might research Dex's Clutch Fluid mod for seals which apparently works wonders too.

I've read this topic with interest and there's a lot of good idea contained within it.

Not too sure I like the idea of using clutch fluid, I'd rather use PTFE tape or gasket compound as after all that's what they're designed for (pressure sealing).

The shim idea looks great and I'll definately be trying that. I'd be recommending a Swann & Morton scalpel with the No. 11 blade for cutting out the shim.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,789 ✭✭✭✭ScumLord

I think I'll have to do some of those efficiency mods. Mine can't even fire off 1 mag without running out of gas. The hop up doesn't have much of an affect and I don't think it's range is what it should be. There doesn't seem to be any leaks on the mag.

Yeah think I might try that shim fix myself. Have a spare mag, so it sgould be worth it for improved gas useage and a stronger blowback.

Tactical wrote: »
    I've read this topic with interest and there's a lot of good idea contained within it.

Not too sure I like the idea of using clutch fluid, I'd rather use PTFE tape or gasket compound as after all that's what they're designed for (pressure sealing).

The shim idea looks great and I'll definately be trying that. I'd be recommending a Swann & Morton scalpel with the No. 11 blade for cutting out the shim.

Thought it was power steering fluid??

Either way does it matter? I wouldn't use brake, clutch or power steering fluid to seal a joint in a water or compressed air line, I'd use PTFE tape and an appropriate compound if required.

The leak in my mag is a gas leak due to poor sealing, I meerly used an appropriate tape to seal.

I do understand why the fluid approach was used / suggested (to swell the o-ring), but I decided to take the approach I did and it seems to have worked for me so far.

Looking forward to undertaking the shim mod and seeing if it makes any difference.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,287 ✭✭✭kevteljeur

It's a little hard to tell about the shim mod (to improve the seal between the mag and the mechanism) because there's probably not a lot wrong with it to begin with. On the other hand, it can't hurt to have a better seal.

The leak fix with the clutch fluid and silicone grease worked extremely well for me. I tried adding a layer to improve the seal around the o-ring but for me that resulted in the mag not reassembling; the fit was too tight.

Another mod is to get an hi-flow valve replacement; they're not expensive and will result in a more powerful use of gas (and emptying your mag much faster). I haven't tried it. I just know they're available.

Advertisement