Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Improve a Car's Fuel Efficiency

Options
  • 17-06-2008 4:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭

Hi All,

I am just wondering, with the fuel prices going up and up I was just wondering is there a more efficient way of driving a car. My car especially!! :)

I have read and heard lots of different things about keeping the car empty, servicing it on time, keeping the speed down etc...

But I was thinking surely the biggest thing that would effect a car's fuel consumption is the amount of revs (RPM, Revolutions Per Minute) that the car is doing.

I have a '00 Ford Fiesta 1.2 Petrol and I like to keep it between 2.25 and 2.75 as this sounds like this is the amount the engine is most comfortable doing.

Anyone like to agree or disagree?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

keep the windows up. dont floor the accelerator going up a hill. dont coast in neutral coming up to junctions or when stopping. dont use the rear window heater when not necessary

• Registered Users Posts: 1,276 ✭✭✭JoeySully

just got this file attached today :D after filling the tank in my e36 WITH 81.54€ OF PETROL:eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

• Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭peasant

simple measures:
    - take out all the crap (weight) that you don't need
    - remove roof bars, if fitted
    - check for correct tyre pressure, over inflate by ~0.2 Bar
    - keep windows closed and A/C off as much as you can

driving measures:
    - look ahead, learn to read traffic and avoid any harsh acceleration/braking wherever possible
    - use your momentum
    - drive in the highest gear possible without labouring the engine
    - avoid sprint starts
    - use engine braking wherever safely possible

• Registered Users Posts: 215 ✭✭Shades799

peasant wrote: »
    - drive in the highest gear possible without labouring the engine

Loads of great tips there but this is the one that I'm most concerned about. My car purrs away happily at about 1,500 revs. Does that mean I should keep it there as much as possible or am I labouring the engine doing this?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,526 ✭✭✭vengeance52

JoeySully wrote: »
    just got this file attached today :D after filling the tank in my e36 WITH 81.54€ OF PETROL:eek:

some nice info in that PDF

• Registered Users Posts: 2,084 ✭✭✭fjon

Didn't want to open a new thread as there are quite a few similar ones here...

This weekend I tried to use a few of the fuel-saving tips I've read on various Hypermiling forums, just to see what difference it would make. I drove Dublin-Dungarvan "normally", but when going back I made a conscious effort to be more fuel efficient.
    I inflated my tyres and took everything out of the boot. When driving, I put the cruise control on, and used that to accelerate/ decelerate when I could. I also tried to go the speed limit or below.
    I think the journey is about 200km. On the way down, the trip computer said I had done 33mpg.
    On the way back however, I managed 43mpg. I was quite happy with that.
    I got home maybe 15 minutes later than I would have, but that didn't bother me too much.
    I think I'll try this again when possible - it made a much bigger difference than I had anticipated.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,931 ✭✭✭dingding

JoeySully wrote: »

With the tank burried in the ground, would the petrol change temperature much between morning and evening, I think it would be cool and relatively constant temperature.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,740 ✭✭✭Bluefoam

dingding wrote: »
    With the tank burried in the ground, would the petrol change temperature much between morning and evening, I think it would be cool and relatively constant temperature.

Not sure this applies to ireland -we don't get temperature extremes.

I read this week that you should reverse into your drive/parking space because the car uses much more gas when cold - therefore it is more economical to start the engine and drive straight out...

Advertisement