Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Boot Problem in Windows

• 17-06-2008 4:39pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭

Just wondering if anyone could give me a hand sorting out a problem on my parent's PC. I'm not sure what to do tbh.

When the computer is started it tries to boot from the harddrive, but it goes into the NVIDIA Boot Agent. Then gives an error saying
    "PXE-E61 : Media test failure check cable," an then quits.

It will boot from a CD no problem. I tried to re-install windows thinking something might have been corrupted. I formatted the hard-drive and then after it was finished the PC tried to boot back up into the windows installation process. It just gets right back to the error above though, it's like it's jsut not even reading the hard-drive

Anyone got any suggestions?

Thanks,
    Damien

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Jackovarian

i remember getting an error like that before with a differnt piece of hardware.
    is the gfx onboard or slot?
    if its slot you should take it out and then put it back in the slot. also, just check around that nothing is loose. could be something simple.

maybe not though.
    turn it on, keep pressing f8 you'll hear it beep or it will go into a screen asking you how you would lkike to boot. if it beeps stop pressing f8 and it will go into the screen i just mentioned. try booting in safe mode.
    does that work?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

I've tried that but I should of have mentioned that it won't boot into safe mode...

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 92,427 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

DamienH wrote:
    When the computer is started it tries to boot from the harddrive, but it goes into the NVIDIA Boot Agent. Then gives an error saying
    "PXE-E61 : Media test failure check cable," an then quits.
    double check the boot order in BIOS/setup

PXE means it's trying to boot from the network card / NIC

if all else fails then make a boot floppy ,
    format a disk on anouther XP PS and copy \ntlder \ntdetect.com and \boot.ini to it

the reinstall should have sorted out sw problems though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,012 ✭✭✭uch

Disable PXE driver in the BIOS

21/25

Sorry should have said also, this is a board/cmos issue, nothing to do with windows so reinstall seldom does anything usefull

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭JethroC

If you can get a boot cd or floppy with fdisk on it, run fdisk and check if your primary partition (the partition with Windows installed) is set to active as the computer won't boot if it's not...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 344 ✭✭Jackovarian

would the boot sector have set itself to inactive randomly? (dont mean to sound like a fecker there, genuine question.)

maybe a quick jumper reset would fix it. or remove the cmos battry for a bit. might just clear the settings enough to fix it.

or, see is the bios flashable from boot disk. i doubt it is, but its worth a look.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,507 ✭✭✭DamienH

Ok I'll try and get fdisk from my laptop and make a boot CD. I'll try removing the battery aswell. How would I disable the PXE driver in bios? I've looked but couldn't see anything about PXE at all. Thanks for all the help!!

• Registered Users Posts: 165 ✭✭JethroC

would the boot sector have set itself to inactive randomly? (dont mean to sound like a fecker there, genuine question.

I have actually seen this happen before...only once or twice though but setting the partition back to active sorted the problem. It doesn't happen very often at all but it is worth a shot.

DamienH wrote: »
    Ok I'll try and get fdisk from my laptop and make a boot CD. I'll try removing the battery aswell. How would I disable the PXE driver in bios? I've looked but couldn't see anything about PXE at all. Thanks for all the help!!

Doubt if fdisk will make any difference as it's probably NTFS file system, check your bios manufacturers website and look for troubleshooting guide, if your technical you could flash the BIOS, but be careful very careful as you can fkuc up your PC very easily if you don't know what you are doing.

21/25

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 84,961 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Have you tried running the machine without the Graphics Card?

Do you have the PC protected with a surge protector ?
    If not the boot sector of your hard drive could be fried (this can happen from lightening in stormy weather and power surges from ESB ), check in the bios that your primary hard drive is being seen, if possible remove the hard drive and slave it into another pc and see if it picks it up.

21/25

Advertisement