Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting-Howd it go for you

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

But if you think about it, to get an A1 will be nigh on impossible unless you've gone through the whole accounting syllabus in order to compile the most in-depth list of theory questions and learn them off, word for word.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall at the exmainer conference. Not to mind the fact that all the correctors, as teachers, will be fuming with the exam that was put in front of their students.

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭diddley

Hated the paper.. I was sure either club or published would be 100's but no. I hadn't studied cash flow so left out a whole question. I'll be lucky to pass.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Slashman X

Ekels wrote: »
    But if you think about it, to get an A1 will be nigh on impossible unless you've gone through the whole accounting syllabus in order to compile the most in-depth list of theory questions and learn them off, word for word.

I'd love to be a fly on the wall at the exmainer conference. Not to mind the fact that all the correctors, as teachers, will be fuming with the exam that was put in front of their students.
    Our teacher gave us all the answers to past Theory questions and common Theory questions a week before we had the test

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

gone through the whole accounting syllabus in order to compile the most in-depth list of theory questions and learn them off, word for word.

Seriously.. The influence of the Accounting Standards Board on the preparation of Cash Flow Statements? I'm sorry but I registered for Accounting, not the History of Accounting Practices in Ireland in the 20th and 21st Centuries :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭nerd3000

Not only do they want less people getting A's, they want less people having the mentality of Accounting being easy and predictable. Christy Tyrell was the one who let it become so predictable and easy in the first place. And now he's screwing us all by throwing 11 ADJUSTMENTS on the final accounts and THEORY questions that aren't even in the book, HIS OWN TEXT BOOK. 650 odd pages of pure muck. Some Published a/c's I practised didn't even have Coporation Tax!!!!!!
    but also consider that the methods of doing things in his book is different to leaving cert. correcting...What is a student supposed to do???..

Wait till exam day to make or break them?

Who here has heard of a "Special Purpose P & L A/C"??????

Last year, with the fire breaking out in Q1 was the beginning of Accounting becoming FIERCELY difficult.

No more predicting.
    No more easy grades from Accounting.

Cheers Christy

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 max21

Cash flow has not been up as a 100 mark for ten years - why did it have to come up for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭The LeavyC

muffinman wrote: »
    Seriously.. The influence of the Accounting Standards Board on the preparation of Cash Flow Statements? I'm sorry but I registered for Accounting, not the History of Accounting Practices in Ireland in the 20th and 21st Centuries :p

Yeah! what the ****? i was thinking of just writing something like, "ah here cmon...." but just wrote down They improved the standard.. hopefully they'll be looking to give out marks and that mite get me 1 or 2 lol.

Is everyone 100% sure that it was Christy Tyrrell who set the paper by himself? Has it actually been confirmed?

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Slashman X

Is everyone 100% sure that it was Christy Tyrrell who set the paper by himself? Has it actually been confirmed?
    We were told a new woman was setting the paper this year

• Registered Users Posts: 31,936 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

He'd want to not have set that paper, he must be then #1 most hated man in the country right now. And rightly so. God I HATE him SO much right now

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 18 The Hitman

Christy Tyrell is a f***ing gob****e. I was banking on accounting for points.
    That suspense was a load of ****e. He could have at least eased 2 new workings in at most this year but no he had to f**k it up for everyone and put in 5 new ones.
    As for the theory I'd say you'd have to be a chartered accountant to be able to answer it.
    If that marking scheme isn't drastically adjusted there will be uproar.

Ya it was Christy and few other drunks. All off their head one Saturday night, 3 am, met down a dark alley and planned to rape a couple thousand students by giving them an impossible paper!

Our teacher knows Christy and I told her to ring him and give him a good bollicking over it coz he deserves it...

• Registered Users Posts: 81 ✭✭Adventure

Who's Christy?

Adventure wrote: »
    Who's Christy?

He set the accounting exam.

Can someone confirm this for me please? I'm actually seriously considering writing a letter or something..

Go to Q5.. And look at the figures they gave for the year ended 31/12/2006

OK, Formula for Dividend Yield is (DPSx100)/Market Price

Work it out based on the figures they gave (5x100)/135 = 3.07% Yeah???

And then look at the figure they gave for Dividend yield... 6%!!!!!!!!

This put me off for a good 5 minutes...

Just .. Am I right in this yeah?

I also had accounting as my very last subject. It's probably among my best subjects.
    There I was when I saw the timetable, thinking accounting would put me in a good mood for the summer.

I wouldn't mind but it's ridiculous to say that accounting is an easy A. Far from it. In our class we would spend an hour a night on accounting. I didn't spend that much time per night on any other subject, and this pile of ****e was put in front of me today.

Can someone confirm this for me please? I'm actually seriously considering writing a letter or something..

This put me off for a good 5 minutes... If I'm right here, then this is the most unprofessional exam I've ever seen in my life.. The SEC need to cop themselves on and stop with this bullsh*t....

LOL. You're spot on, checked it there.

Yeah, so therefore, I'm seriously considering that letter to Athlone!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19 Riverperson

Thank God! I was terrified I'd come on here to find ye all saying that it was a lovely paper. Thank the Lord I wasn't banking on this exam for a load of marks. I failed my pre so I kinda went into this exam expecting the worst. I'm hoping for a C now.
    My 60m were ok. My 100's wouldn't balance. But my 80m was lovely.
    And I completely bull***ed the theory. What a joke.

• Advertisement

Yeah, so therefore, I'm seriously considering that letter to Athlone!!

You'd be dead right to do so. Although I'll just tell it's 3.7%, not 3.07%.
    I might do it myself.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭The LeavyC

didnt bother working it out cos ive to study for economics, but u definetely should, well noticed. i know that they're really only giving those figures for comparison, but even still. just so that the paper loses some of its credibility and they might mark it even easier.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BlueCam

This put me off for a good 5 minutes... If I'm right here, then this is the most unprofessional exam I've ever seen in my life.. The SEC need to cop themselves on and stop with this bullsh*t....

YES! And also, EPS divided by DPS gives you the div yield. 18/5 = 3.6 times, but what does it say? 3 times! Like what the fúck?

I got 90% in my mock... was looking for an A1... will be lucky if I get a B3.

There is a MASSIVE difference between giving a challenging paper and one that is just.. bad. And that paper was shocking.

Screw you, Christy Tyrell. Screw you.

They even confused themselves with all their fu--in about

How embarrassing!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

You'd be dead right to do so. Although I'll just tell it's 3.7%, not 3.07%.
    I might do it myself.

Yeah sorry I know it's 3.703%

But in my analysis I still used the 6% that they gave..

What annoys me most is that I accidentally left out the 15 mark theory on this question even though I knew it well...

Aww man, I kept messing about with it coz it confused the crap outta me. :(:(

• Registered Users Posts: 256 ✭✭Randomness

Just reading through the comments there............

I know you all probably feel like a pile o poo right now, especially those for whom it was their last exam.....(Accounting is one of those subjects, you wanna hug it and stab it within seconds of one another)

But if it's any consolation I was/felt in the exact same situation last year and trust me, you will do better than you think (as long as you tried to answers stuff).

Plus if everyone found it hard they WILL mark it down.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭jessie11

What happend to manufacturing and club and published in section 2!:mad:??

Hopefully interpretation and budgeting got me through!! :(:(

How do you EVEN DO suspense accounts??
    i hadnt a clue of them r of cash flow just gave it ago never even seen them before! :confused::confused::confused:

:(:(:(

is this r??

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BlueCam

info@examinations.ie

^^ if you feel like complaining. I'm gonna...

• Advertisement

BlueCam wrote: »
    info@examinations.ie

^^ if you feel like complaining. I'm gonna...

Doubt that'll get to the right people.. I'm going by snail mail to

State Examinations Commission
    Cornamaddy
    Athlone
    Co. Westmeath

And I'm actually doing it!

Advertisement