Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting-Howd it go for you

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 111 ✭✭jessie11

The Hitman wrote: »
    Christy Tyrell is a f***ing gob****e. I was banking on accounting for points.
    That suspense was a load of ****e. He could have at least eased 2 new workings in at most this year but no he had to f**k it up for everyone and put in 5 new ones.
    As for the theory I'd say you'd have to be a chartered accountant to be able to answer it.
    If that marking scheme isn't drastically adjusted there will be uproar.

teachers submit questions for the leavin papers and some are used..
    so our maths teacher said

• Registered Users Posts: 540 ✭✭✭SmashingPilot

Well if it counts. I'm going to stick with my fellow students and send a mail too. Can't let tools set exams ever again.
    Heads must roll. :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 5 robbieog

did anyone get 387000 for the published.??

• Registered Users Posts: 5,977 ✭✭✭Soby

muffinman wrote: »
    Can someone confirm this for me please? I'm actually seriously considering writing a letter or something..

Go to Q5.. And look at the figures they gave for the year ended 31/12/2006

OK, Formula for Dividend Yield is (DPSx100)/Market Price

Work it out based on the figures they gave (5x100)/135 = 3.07% Yeah???

And then look at the figure they gave for Dividend yield... 6%!!!!!!!!

This put me off for a good 5 minutes... If I'm right here, then this is the most unprofessional exam I've ever seen in my life.. The SEC need to cop themselves on and stop with this bullsh*t....

Just .. Am I right in this yeah?

good spot my friend..terrible paper...and the one exam i forgot my bloody beads:eek::o

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

Soby wrote: »
    good spot my friend..terrible paper...and the one exam i forgot my bloody beads:eek::o

I remembered mine! They didn't do me much good.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 max21

Me too. Thanks for address - the more of us that complain the better. Our teacher was livid when she saw the paper she is complaoining too. she said its hard to keep numbers taking accounting and an exam like that will turn people right off.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Terrible paper. Whoever wrote the paper should be shot. Give us a chance for God's sake. And I agree with a previous poster who said that the accounting book is pure muck, its so rubbish it won't even burn. Shower of w**nkers in the Department. I hope the papers get lost on the way to Athlone and the accounting correctors won't have a job for summer and will be queuing up for the dole.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

luvlad. wrote: »
    just heard on 2fm,that a review of the marking scheme will take place 2moro for accountancy

Really?

I don't want to send this letter without being 100% sure of the error, and right now I'm 99.9% :p

• Registered Users Posts: 31,939 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

alan4cult wrote: »
    Terrible paper. Whoever wrote the paper should be shot. Give us a chance for God's sake. And I agree with a previous poster who said that the accounting book is pure muck, its so rubbish it won't even burn. Shower of w**nkers in the Department. I hope the papers get lost on the way to Athlone and the accounting correctors won't have a job for summer and will be queuing up for the dole.

They are just given the scheme and mark it. They are usually accounting teachers so it ain't their fault.

Christy Tyrell is the man to blame!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Turquoise

luvlad. wrote: »
    just heard on 2fm,that a review of the marking scheme will take place 2moro for accountancy

Really? Did they mention that as part of the news or what?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 432 ✭✭Yuugib

we should send them a linky to this topic :D
    Do write the letter though.. i ll write one my self after i m finished )

Email address to contact the Ministers office: minister_okeeffe@education.gov.ie :D:D:D:D

mars bar wrote: »
    They are just given the scheme and mark it. They are usually accounting teachers so it ain't their fault.

Christy Tyrell is the man to blame!
    Ya your right its not there fault. Christy Tyrell should be not paid anymore for the rubbish that he produced on that paper.

jessie11 wrote: »
    Email address to contact the Ministers office: minister_okeeffe@education.gov.ie :D:D:D:D
    A leave that man alone. What did he do? Well apart from the f88cked up education system but that's old news.

The worst part is how much can they modify the marking scheme? On the basis of this thread all the A1's have slipped to B2s or 3s.

• Registered Users Posts: 159 ✭✭BlueCam

excellent :pac: I hear bombardment...

alan4cult wrote: »
    A leave that man alone. What did he do? Well apart from the f88cked up education system but that's old news.

Has he been that busy in the one month he's been in the job?

They can modify it by giving us all A1s for enduring such crap.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 tex mexx

lol,i think i must be the only one in the country who is fairly happy with it. i had prepared sole trader, cash flow and interpretation. was a bit pissed off with the theory alright, was really hard! and i thought q8 was quite difficult, different from the normal mc qs!

all in all, not as bad as everyone seems to think! maybe i am just a little optimistic though and ive actually failed miserably!!XD

BlueCam wrote: »
    excellent :pac: I hear bombardment...

i like how u think:D
    hes already received my email:D:D:pac:

• Advertisement

i bet the response we wil get is...

well whats gonna be on the paper isn set in stone...the usual

Did you read the thread? You can't complain about the questions that were on.. The point I'm making is that there was an error on the paper, not a break in the "patterns"... Nothing's guaranteed and there's absolutely no point in questioning their choice of the actual questions! You can be pissed off but not outraged like..

• Registered Users Posts: 6 rocketosul

an1 else get a negative cash figure in d suspense???? and what was d investments supposed 2 b in club a/c. Bollox paper

• Registered Users Posts: 31,939 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

muffinman wrote: »
    Did you read the thread? You can't complain about the questions that were on.. The point I'm making is that there was an error on the paper, not a break in the "patterns"... Nothing's guaranteed and there's absolutely no point in questioning their choice of the actual questions! You can be pissed off but not outraged like..

I believe they purposely went out of the way to do the unpredicted which is pretty lousey. People, like myself, who put time and effort into learning 6,7,8 or even 9 subjects can't get everything done in every subject so sacrafices have to be made. They could have at least stuck in the club account so people don't fail but as my teacher said, "they are out to screw you". My course is in jeoprady now and I feel like my repeat year has gone to waste because of this one exam. I knew if I got a C2, my course would be pretty much guaranteed. I think I'll be lucky to get a D2 now...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 **simone**

That was the worst exam i have sat, and the last.

I predicted it will bring me down a good 40 points in my leaving and so i won't get my fist 2 choices.

I have never seen a worse paper and i am absolutely gutted.

And extremely mean paper.

Where was manufacturing??? And Club as 100mks

HORRIBLE.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Slashman X

rocketosul wrote: »
    an1 else get a negative cash figure in d suspense???? and what was d investments supposed 2 b in club a/c. Bollox paper
    In the B/S? I thought I did something really wrong :D

• Registered Users Posts: 6 rocketosul

Yea in d Balance sheet. i put it in d bank O/D but how d f*** can u hav negative cash????

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Slashman X

rocketosul wrote: »
    Yea in d Balance sheet. i put it in d bank O/D but how d f*** can u hav negative cash????
    I think it's cos the error meant he had less cash than he thought, must've spent it :p

Or else we're badly wrong :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 lcaccounting

Guys,

I am a tutor from <snip> and I want to make a couple of points:

1. There is an error in Q5 and all students who did the question will not be penalised for this.
    2. No matter how many times I say this to students they ignore it ' you must cover all the questions - you cannot leave out any area'
    3. 100 mark cash flow was widely tipped - lack of preperation is unacceptable
    4. Your emails / letters to Dept. mean nothing but may make you feel better.
    5. There will be a cashflow question on every accounting exam you do after school. I have done approx 15 cash flow exam questions throughout my career - get used to it!!
    6. Personally attacking Christy and his team is 'sour grapes' - the exam was fair - apart from section c q8 which was slighly nasty.
    7. This exam has highlighted the importance of 'theory'
    8. I agree you should not be using Chr''tys book - it is rubbish, I recommend using examsupport combined with past papers or <snip>which will be live next year.
    9. too may students thought that by learning off a few questions they were guaranteed an A.

Best of Luck with the results.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Guys,

I am a tutor from www.leavingcertaccounting.com and I want to make a couple of points:

1. There is an error in Q5 and all students who did the question will not be penalised for this.
    2. No matter how many times I say this to students they ignore it ' you must cover all the questions - you cannot leave out any area'
    3. 100 mark cash flow was widely tipped - lack of preperation is unacceptable
    4. Your emails / letters to Dept. mean nothing but may make you feel better.
    5. There will be a cashflow question on every accounting exam you do after school. I have done approx 15 cash flow exam questions throughout my career - get used to it!!
    6. Personally attacking Christy and his team is 'sour grapes' - the exam was fair - apart from section c q8 which was slighly nasty.
    7. This exam has highlighted the importance of 'theory'
    8. I agree you should not be using Chr''tys book - it is rubbish, I recommend using examsupport combined with past papers or www.leavingcertaccounting.com which will be live next year.
    9. too may students thought that by learning off a few questions they were guaranteed an A.

Best of Luck with the results.
    LeavingCertAccounting.com

Some of the theory isnt on the course and would never have been covered by any teacher.I used past papers.None of the questions I practiced helped me in the suspense in any way

• Advertisement

I feel that I already have been penalised.. Confusing the Dividend Yield cost me a good few minutes and made me lose concentration as I already said, and just put me a bit off track. I didn't answer Q.5c despite being well able to do it, and I think that this mistake played no small role in that...

Advertisement