Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting-Howd it go for you

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 330 ✭✭diddley

to be honest you've brightened my day.. even if I do ****e in accounting atleast i'm not a pompous eej like you : D

peace

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SimpleLogic

Having read back my posts - you may have a point. Apols.

I think a lot of people are blaming the Dept when I feel they should be venting their anger at their individual teachers for allowing them to
    a) use the textbook so heavily
    b) predict and presume pattern would be followed
    c) not have covered all theory - whether in the book or not

I dont see why teachers shouldnt do all the above when this is all they needed to do in the previous 10 years. If the paper is going to be changed so dramatically the students should be told before hand. A simple notice from the education board to say , this year there will be a large focus on theory you will never have seen before and all previous exam patterns have been scrapped. problem would have been solved

• Registered Users Posts: 549 ✭✭✭declan_lgs

I wonder how many accounting teachers would've gotten an A in that paper. Would love to see it given out to a class of nearly-qualified accounting teachers.

It's ridiculous. How many people are gonna miss their course for this? WTF is to be done for these folks? Most people that were banking on points from accounting PROBABLY DESERVED THEM even if they were concentrating on one of published and club.

If I had to repeat (I rekon I've missed my course but I will NOT repeat), I would also need to do a new English course and an entirely new technical drawing course with project work and stuff, nevermind ANOTHER dog-awful year.

How can the department let this go down?

BAD EXAMS MESS UP LIVES. (in the shorter term)

Tyler, learn.

If this was the A levels or if we had a system where we could repeat a single exam it wouldn't be such a bother, but i think it would be only reasonable to stick a repeat exam in July. Never gonna happen, just saying.

• Registered Users Posts: 663 ✭✭✭SimpleLogic

declan_lgs wrote: »
    I wonder how many accounting teachers would've gotten an A in that paper. Would love to see it given out to a class of nearly-qualified accounting teachers.

It's ridiculous. How many people are gonna miss their course for this? WTF is to be done for these folks? Most people that were banking on points from accounting PROBABLY DESERVED THEM even if they were concentrating on one of published and club.

If I had to repeat (I rekon I've missed my course but I will NOT repeat), I would also need to do a new English course and an entirely new technical drawing course with project work and stuff, nevermind ANOTHER dog-awful year.

How can the department let this go down?

BAD EXAMS MESS UP LIVES. (in the shorter term)

Tyler, learn.

If this was the A levels or if we had a system where we could repeat a single exam it wouldn't be such a bother, but i think it would be only reasonable to stick a repeat exam in July. Never gonna happen, just saying.

they have repeated exams before :-)
    not sure because of a bad paper but has happened when the paper was leaked , exam was held again

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Do ye honestly want to repeat an exam in July?That would be horrible

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 Napes

This exam was clearly designed to make an example of us, I agree that students should have at least been forewarned about the changes made to the exam.

In my opinion the exam wasn't just ridiculous, it was downright harsh.:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

Burner- wrote: »
    they have repeated exams before :-)
    not sure because of a bad paper but has happened when the paper was leaked , exam was held again

I'd have no problem doing it.

The issue is with holiday arrangements though and the ability of a student to attend the exam during the time scheduled etc. I couldn't see it happening, I think there'll be leniency, a restructuring of the marks away from the journal in suspense and the same for the harsh adjustments in the sole trader. Theory marks could be reduced in extreme cases, if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

Ekels wrote: »
    I couldn't see it happening.

There's absolutely no chance in the world of it happening. OK it was a tough/harsh paper, and it even had a mistake, but they had every right to put everything that was on the paper on it.. I'm just as disappointed as everyone else with the standard of the paper, and the over-emphasis on the theory, but (unfortunately) the paper they set was legitimate and disgustingly acceptable (in terms of the syllabus) :o

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4 max21

Guys,

I am a tutor from <snip> and I want to make a couple of points:

1. There is an error in Q5 and all students who did the question will not be penalised for this.
    2. No matter how many times I say this to students they ignore it ' you must cover all the questions - you cannot leave out any area'
    3. 100 mark cash flow was widely tipped - lack of preperation is unacceptable
    4. Your emails / letters to Dept. mean nothing but may make you feel better.
    5. There will be a cashflow question on every accounting exam you do after school. I have done approx 15 cash flow exam questions throughout my career - get used to it!!
    6. Personally attacking Christy and his team is 'sour grapes' - the exam was fair - apart from section c q8 which was slighly nasty.
    7. This exam has highlighted the importance of 'theory'
    8. I agree you should not be using Chr''tys book - it is rubbish, I recommend using examsupport combined with past papers or <snip> which will be live next year.
    9. too may students thought that by learning off a few questions they were guaranteed an A.

Best of Luck with the results.
    You really havent done any favours for yourself or your website here. Students are genuinely upset about the difficult paper and their hopes of high grades and you use this opportunity to try and plug yourself and a site which unfortunately is no use to us if it is only live next year. A very sympathetic tutor we see here!! Get over yourself!! We have a wonderful teacher who had everything covered inside out but yet the difficulty of the questions together with the time restraints made it a very challenging paper and a lot of students are very disappointed with this. Any students who were lucky enough to find the paper ok would not be so arrogant as to issue a reply like yours.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 lcaccounting

max21 wrote: »
    You really havent done any favours for yourself or your website here. Students are genuinely upset about the difficult paper and their hopes of high grades and you use this opportunity to try and plug yourself and a site which unfortunately is no use to us if it is only live next year. A very sympathetic tutor we see here!! Get over yourself!! We have a wonderful teacher who had everything covered inside out but yet the difficulty of the questions together with the time restraints made it a very challenging paper and a lot of students are very disappointed with this. Any students who were lucky enough to find the paper ok would not be so arrogant as to issue a reply like yours.

Think Ryanair

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 200 ✭✭annie19

Turquoise wrote: »
    I find your post infuriating.
    I didn't "learn off a few questions" - I studied every question on the course bar Interpretation of accounts. I've done all the other suspense accounts in the papers from the last however many years - they all follow a pattern, they all have very similar errors etc. This one was completely different and no amount of study would have enabled me to do them.
    I also studied past theory, and theory that very clearly related to accounts - reasons why one prepares such accounts, what they contain, limitations etc. That's not what they tested.

I worked hard for this grade and now I probably won't get my course. I think I'm entitled to "sour grapes". I'm glad your site will be live NEXT YEAR, but its a bit bloody late thank you very much - and like I said, past papers did no good when it came to that suspense.

i agree with u. if u ask me who ever this so called tutor is he/she only wants to advertise "EXAMSUPPORT" as free advertisment for others reading this forum as they cost a bloody bomb and no LC should be expected to pay for. If u ask me, if the theroy is not in a accounting book like chrisy's, that should have followed the syllabus it should not be asked in the exam. no student could cover every question in dept like they expected today in a 2 yr course.

max21 wrote: »

you go man, ur dead right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 bazez!

that paper was horrible!!:confused:

i was hoping for a b1 to get my points.......but def not going to happen!!!

wats was up with all that new crap...n the suspence was soooo hard:mad:i bascially made it all up...hope the examiner likes the little pictures i drew of the jewerlly n the cars it was going on bout as thats all i understood!!

also i tot the exam was ment to b accounting not business.....wat was up with all the theory???

i think we desire for the paper to b marked easier as i am sure lots of ppl could of done so much better.....if they made it a nice paper!!1

• Registered Users Posts: 787 ✭✭✭bUILDERtHEbOB

Personally the thing I liked most about the paper was the fact that some of the stuff on it weren't even covered in the his own book.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,005 ✭✭✭✭titan18

Personally the thing I liked most about the paper was the fact that some of the stuff on it weren't even covered in the his own book.

I enjoyed that too.What makes it even better is that the damn book is so heavy,it gave me back pain.That actually wasnt so funny.That was painful

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    qft, lcaccounting, would you ever just piss off. These students just got out of their exam and are clearly distressed by it. Of what benefit was that post? Very very ignorant of you, and if your lack of understanding is at all indicative of your ability as a teacher, then I pity your students. :mad:
    ur dead right

• Closed Accounts Posts: 50 ✭✭The LeavyC

I honestly blame myself for that exam. I wanted an A in accounting, i got an a2 in the mocks, but i reckon i got around a B3 in that. Q1 was fine, i had manufacturing better prepared but sole trader went grand as far as i know. maybe a few more adjustments than i had expected... Question 5 was fine(apart from the error obviously but that shouldn't have honestly effected anybody,and if you did work it out 4 sum reason and it put you off, you should have just got on with the exam instead of worrying if you had made a mistake in a part you didnt even have to do. Question 6 was not too bad, ignoring the theory question, i made a stupid stupid mistake in it from lack of practicing because i presumed club or incomplete 2 were bound to come up. question 9 was fine.

i have heard question 7 was very hard but honestly i was never going to answer on suspense anyways.

Overall it was definitely possible to get an A in that paper if you had studied everything well, even if you missed out on a few theory questions you could still have gotten an A. 15/400 for Q6 theory only is 3.75%

The LeavyC wrote: »
    apart from the error obviously but that shouldn't have honestly effected anybody,and if you did work it out 4 sum reason and it put you off, you should have just got on with the exam instead of worrying if you had made a mistake in a part you didnt even have to do.

Sorry, but speak for yourself.. For some reason, when ever I do this question my mind blanks on the Dividend yield formula.. Q.5(a)(i) was Dividend yield.. I calculated it using the formula that I thought it was.. Then I checked last year's figures, because for some reason they gave them all, and the 3.7% was different to the 6% which obviously led me to believe that my formula was wrong... And therefore I was distracted.. So please don't say that it shouldn't have put me off...

muffinman wrote: »
    Sorry, but speak for yourself.. For some reason, when ever I do this question my mind blanks on the Dividend yield formula.. Q.5(a)(i) was Dividend yield.. I calculated it using the formula that I thought it was.. Then I checked last year's figures, because for some reason they gave them all, and the 3.7% was different to the 6% which obviously led me to believe that my formula was wrong... And therefore I was distracted.. So please don't say that it shouldn't have put me off...

I can see where you're coming from, but to be honest(and not meaning to sound rude or dismissive) if you didnt know the formula anyways, you're never going to have a very strong argument. You were given the figure, there was no need to work it out for 9/10 people unless you were unsure of the formula, which you shoudn't have been since theres only about 15 of them and you have 2 years to learn them, and theyre not complicated. i shudder at the thought of somebody who can't learn of 15 formulae trying a subject like physics.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 g'way

what error are ye all on about?

the paper was so hard...i was expectin ta come out wit at least a B1 but i'll b lookin at 55-60 points now,watevr dat is...my whole class wer gamblin on club nd published ta cum up n d middle,even tho we cud do interpretations...d question 1 adjustments wer really different aswel...

bye bye commerce wit french!!

• Advertisement

(and not meaning to sound rude or dismissive)

unless you were unsure of the formula, which you shoudn't have been since theres only about 15 of them and you have 2 years to learn them, and theyre not complicated.

I shouldn't have been? Sorry, but that's not exactly for you to say...
    i shudder at the thought of somebody who can't learn of 15 formulae trying a subject like physics.

I do Physics, and don't like it.. But again, I don't see why you'd be shuddering.. I'm good at accounting, I got an A1 in the mock, and if I forgot a formula (which I didn't by the way.. I had the right one, and I was simply checking, which obviously threw me off..), it's not exactly a reflection on my ability either way...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6 g'way

"Overall it was definitely possible to get an A in that paper if you had studied everything well"

my teacher gave us a sheet at the start of the year to help us predict wat was comin up because accountin is usually kinda predictable so we eliminated certain things from our study...so annoyed now!

Sorry, but speak for yourself.. For some reason, when ever I do this question my mind blanks on the Dividend yield formula..
    I shouldn't have been? Sorry, but that's not exactly for you to say...
    I do Physics, and don't like it.. But again, I don't see why you'd be shuddering.. I'm good at accounting, I got an A1 in the mock, and if I forgot a formula (which I didn't by the way.. I had the right one, and I was simply checking, which obviously threw me off..), it's not exactly a reflection on my ability either way...

You said earlier there that your mind blanks on the div yield formula, but now ur saying u knew it? I must have mis-interpreted that r sumtin. Anyways, it cudnt have thrown you off for very long, and if it did, thats your own fault fr wrrying about it.(my "o" buttn is realy eratic and i cba to press it 100 times incase it feels like working.) anyways, econmics 2mrw, bed time i guess.....

You said earlier there that your mind blanks on the div yield formula, but now ur saying u knew it? I must have mis-interpreted that r sumtin.

Yeah you must have
    For some reason, when ever I do this question my mind blanks on the Dividend yield formula.. Q.5(a)(i) was Dividend yield.. I calculated it using the formula that I thought it was..

That was the right formula..
    Anyways, it cudnt have thrown you off for very long, and if it did, thats your own fault fr wrrying about it.

The fact is, it shouldn't have been wrong.. It's irrelevant whether or not I worried about it
    nyways, econmics 2mrw, bed time i guess.....

Good night and Good Luck ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭jennyq

Phew I feel glad that I'm not the only one who thought the paper was hard. I forgot the theory at the end of the suspense question which I knew which is annoying!!! Q1 didn't balance of course but I think most of my adjustments are alright. Hopefully if it's hard in general the marking won't be too mean though so let's try & be positive. After all its roughly the same percentage gets As/Bs/whatever each year so fingers crossed :p

• Registered Users Posts: 24 AaronCregan

Guys,

I am a tutor from <snip> and I want to make a couple of points:

1. There is an error in Q5 and all students who did the question will not be penalised for this.
    2. No matter how many times I say this to students they ignore it ' you must cover all the questions - you cannot leave out any area'
    3. 100 mark cash flow was widely tipped - lack of preperation is unacceptable
    4. Your emails / letters to Dept. mean nothing but may make you feel better.
    5. There will be a cashflow question on every accounting exam you do after school. I have done approx 15 cash flow exam questions throughout my career - get used to it!!
    6. Personally attacking Christy and his team is 'sour grapes' - the exam was fair - apart from section c q8 which was slighly nasty.
    7. This exam has highlighted the importance of 'theory'
    8. I agree you should not be using Chr''tys book - it is rubbish, I recommend using examsupport combined with past papers or <snip> which will be live next year.
    9. too may students thought that by learning off a few questions they were guaranteed an A.

Best of Luck with the results.

That's really cheeky of you. You're contradicting yourself saying not to go by predictions but then you say 100 mark cashflows were tipped to come up. I studied 100 mark cashflows anyway and found that question fine but for you to say that is just ridiculous.

The theory was unfair, it wasn't in the book and it's a bit ridiculous that the author of the book wrote a paper which included theory that wasn't in his own book. So people complaining about Christy Tyrrell have every right to.

And the cheek of you to plug your website after being so smug telling us it's our fault. I run websites and don't mind shameless plugs but that's pushing it and you come across as a right prick.

Also to blame our teachers is just insulting to them. My teacher anyway worked hard with us for the last 2 years and being a small class, she was able to give us 1 on 1 help when we needed it. She knew everyone's ability and knew the class as a whole was weak at Incomplete Records but assured us it wouldn't come up and it didn't. She also photocopied all the theory that has ever come up and emphasizied how they can make up to 25% of the exam theory if they want so she told us to learn it and not risk slipping grades over simple theory but she never could have anticipated the theory to come up as difficult as it did. She told me after my mock that she wanted me getting a B1 again or higher in the leaving cert but that can't even happen now because of this paper. I'm sure she's just as angry as our class and everyone on this forum is.

And I didn't learn off a few questions to get an A, I studied most of the course but went on my own predictions and ended up being right in some of them but there was no way of me anticipating that the theory would be so specific and that they'd change the investment in the club account or that they'd bring up such rubbish theory in order to screw everyone over.

On a side note to everyone else, for my answer to the theory in the cashflow statement about the accounting standards bit I used the theory from what I learned about published accounts and said:
    "The accounts must reflect a 'true and fair view' of the financial situation of the company, they must comply with the companies act and they must have an accurate and up to date analysis of cash flowing in and out of the business".
    I don't know if that's what the answer was but it was worth a shot, does anyone know what they were looking for in that question.

For the theory in the Club a/c about the special trading account or whatever it's called, I said it was basically like the Bar Trading Account and used by non-profit seeking organisations such as clubs.

The Budget theory was fair enough and I knew what the Principal Budget Factor was.

But what was the answer to the Interpretation of Accounts theory question for 15 marks? I waffled on about mismanagement of liquid assets and liabilities. I said good managers should be able to make the assets liquid quickly in order to pay off emergency debts. I said that the manufacturing company in the question should improve their liquidity problem or face liquidation.

I got a B1 in my mock and was hoping for an A2 at least in this but that's gone now that I left out a full 60 mark question and didn't do all the other questions 100% right. Leaving out that question meant the highest possible result I can get is 85% but that's not going to happen.

People in my year panicked when they saw the paper and started having mind blanks and leaving out full questions and these were people who got B's in their mocks. Some came out of the exam and punched lockers in anger. It's just ridiculous.

• Registered Users Posts: 87 ✭✭LayLay

So now that most people who sat it found it hard, will they make it easier?

So glad I'm not the only one. Most people who sat it in my school said it was a very difficult paper. One girl in my school even came out and started crying.

Many people, I think were expecting a 100 Club - I was for sure and was disappointed when the Supsense came up as a 100 because I can't really do them. I couldn't believe Depreciation didn't come up! :mad: Over all I thought it was a very difficult paper!! The theory parts were well hard also. And the published was so long!! WTF! I attempted what I could on them but don't know if I would have an idea weather I passed it or not! :eek: I really hope I do. It is what I would like to do next year. I'm disappointed my exams ended so horribly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 flint_72

I thought it was a grand paper to be honest. I can see how people were shocked though,some of the questions that came up were supprising. But if u studied everything u should ave been grand.

I got Q1 to balance wit €1,026,375
    Q 6. to check correctly,wit €169,000 ,€98,000 and €7,000
    Q7. I got to balance wit €455,190 , but im not to sure how right that is
    Q9 i cant remember what i got,bu it was a grand question.

And I really dont know y so many people r giving out about this "Christy" guy,r whoever set the paper for that matter. Ye should ave learnt the entire course n not cut corners. And the theory half of it is repeats from previous papers. dont shoot the examiner cus u didnt study enough.

And tbh,i certainly hope nothing comes of anyone's letters to the Departement,because u'd just be taking away the gain that hard working accounting students like myself and the many other sutdents that im sure have gotten As have earned themselves.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 drunknmunky_69

i totally disagree with you flint_72. My class covered the entire course.We did both budgeting and costing. We did plenty of mock and sample 100 mark cash flow statements. We covered lots and lots of theory and we used christys book. We did the questions over and over again in the papers and did as many extra questions as possible.

How can that be called cutting corners. The theory was ridiculous-ok we knew some of it but had to make up the rest...

If Christys book is selling as a Leaving Cert Accounting book then it should contain all of the material on the syllabus.

• Advertisement

On a side note to everyone else, for my answer to the theory in the cashflow statement about the accounting standards bit I used the theory from what I learned about published accounts and said:
    "The accounts must reflect a 'true and fair view' of the financial situation of the company, they must comply with the companies act and they must have an accurate and up to date analysis of cash flowing in and out of the business".
    I don't know if that's what the answer was but it was worth a shot, does anyone know what they were looking for in that question.

I threw in a bit of that as well, and set that they issue publications to standardise Accounting practice in Ireland?? :confused:
    But what was the answer to the Interpretation of Accounts theory question for 15 marks? I waffled on about mismanagement of liquid assets and liabilities. I said good managers should be able to make the assets liquid quickly in order to pay off emergency debts. I said that the manufacturing company in the question should improve their liquidity problem or face liquidation.

Prudence is the concept whereby a company should always anticipate a loss rather than a gain, and should therefore make adequate provisions, i.e. not incurring expenses if they are unsure whether or not they can meet them from Liquid assets. Therefore, if company management are prudent in their activities, they should not have liquidity problems.. Or something like that :p

Advertisement