Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting-Howd it go for you

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 39 m-i-t-s-u-k-o

People actually cried, you could hear the entire exam hall moan.
    So annoying, pass got a manufacturing instead of the sole trader they were hoping for and we got the sole trader instead of the manufacturing we were looking for... :(

• Registered Users Posts: 52 ✭✭u2livecd

If anyone has the cj fallon business studies magazines for 2008, would they be willing to scan or sell them to me? I am just interested in the accounting sections? I would pay for them.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1 kate2

I think the paper was unfair!!!! whatever about predicting questions I was still prepared for sole trader and loved suspense!!! We used mocks past papers and teachers resources I put a load of work in and feel totally hard done by. I dont know what that tutor is on about all the examples we saw were based on the papers. If the exam people didnt want us feeling safe then they shouldnt have made a really predictable paper for the last 10 years!!!!! Of course they have to make it challanging but that paper was a nightmare I cant believe how strange it was. In the paper today they called it "fair and balanced" do those teachers have any idea of how hard it was??!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

kate2 wrote: »
    I think the paper was unfair!!!! whatever about predicting questions I was still prepared for sole trader and loved suspense!!! We used mocks past papers and teachers resources I put a load of work in and feel totally hard done by. I dont know what that tutor is on about all the examples we saw were based on the papers. If the exam people didnt want us feeling safe then they shouldnt have made a really predictable paper for the last 10 years!!!!! Of course they have to make it challanging but that paper was a nightmare I cant believe how strange it was. In the paper today they called it "fair and balanced" do those teachers have any idea of how hard it was??!!
    My supervisor was doing pieces of the paper during the exam and he said he would honetly not have been able to complete it in three hours. Fair and Balanced my a**e. That paper was there to catch out people and that's a fact!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,939 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

LayLay wrote: »
    So now that most people who sat it found it hard, will they make it easier?

So glad I'm not the only one. Most people who sat it in my school said it was a very difficult paper. One girl in my school even came out and started crying.

I didn't cry last year when I knew I didn't hit my targets. I shed a tear when I had to repeat but knew it wasn't the end of the world. But yesterday, I BAWLED my eyes out knowing that that one exam put my course in jeoprady and I am NOT repeating again because some plank decided to screw us all over. My mam didn't know what to say to me when I came out...
    Our accounting teacher re-assured everyone that it was only 8 months to repeat, not that bad. She didn't know what to say to me either. Personally, I feel like c**p because of it...

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4 *Nicola*

I know we aren't supposed to make predictions and focus on them but the utter shock that filled our exam hall was unreal. Everyone was so shocked about the sole trader coming up.
    I was a bit shaky on the dividend yield formula so when i divided the EPS by the DPS for the 2006 figures and got a different answer to what it said, it confused the sh**e out of me.
    They'd have to take all of our reactions into account and into consideration with the marking scheme, wouldn't they? i hope so

• Closed Accounts Posts: 435 ✭✭~Candy~

Yuugib wrote: »
    QUOTE]

ummdid u glad that the 100cash flow came up..i remember i was talking to u b4 about it ..omg..it came up - -

edit:

i read the entire post myself, and i am glad i did , i honestly feel bad for ye guys..dun think it was fair ..

we also do use the red accounting book,(the heaviest book ever) and i don't actually think it did much good to us tbh..- - ~
    all we did was do all the excise Qs in the book and do past papers, and they are kinda all different from what was in the book....and yet my accounting teacher (sub) said at some stage..every single Qs is acc is exactly the same , if you could do one then you could do all of them, there is no excuse..i don't know will i stand by that now

i also do this subject for points, i was able to get As with most of the topics that we ve done so far, by do learn by doing and learning off the layouts n etc. i don't actually like accounting and i wudnt say i am accounting minded at all, if they did any major change to any of the Qs i dun think i d able to cope it tbh...and i certainly do not think it was fair for students who worked hard for it thu out the year~~~too much change and too much of a shock..

anyway, i don't actually think i ve the right to say much in this post~ i just wish thr department could mark the paper easier.. and you will all do better than what ye expected :):)

and yea ,i think i will have to do a good amount of work next year now, who knows what will happen next yr```anything could happen = =

• Registered Users Posts: 3,624 ✭✭✭Fol20

what an easy exam...cant believe people are complaining...possibly the easiest exam ever...omg plz stfu it was so easy..just because predictions didnt come up people were not rdy...seriously cry me a river :confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Turquoise

what an easy exam...cant believe people are complaining...possibly the easiest exam ever...omg plz stfu it was so easy..just because predictions didnt come up people were not rdy...seriously cry me a river

Talk about trying to get a reaction. Maybe you found it easy, you genius you - but I think 11 pages on this topic will prove that it wasn't "the easiest exam ever".

• Registered Users Posts: 3,225 ✭✭✭JackKelly

don't feed the trolls

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 philbagg

I looked at all the papers and discovered patterns that I found to be likely, not definite, and put more emphasis on my predictions but felt confident about the other possibilities. Also, I was banking on the same stuff that came up in the mocks to come up (in fairness, the mocks were very accurate predictions), so once again; prioritising... Anything varied to come up, I felt ok about (one or two new workings, service instead of club etc.)

Then we all sat in school before the exam, studying but also laughing and joking "imagine if they put a departmental up" (hadn't studied it)

or

"Imagine they put a cash flow and suspense in section 2"

We all just brushed it off with a "stop makin me think about that! It wont happen!!"

Then as we walked into the exam, we all took a glance at the paper before 2:00PM... Looked at Q1, was a bit worried but felt ok enough. Looked at Q9, LOVELY!! When we all opened section two, our jaws dropped as we look around at one another... Everyone started panickin and most heads were dropped into their hands!! I was shakin, almost getting sick! I couldn't answer section 2 at all, so for a subject that I was aiming for a high B in, I'm now praying to pass it!!

I have to say, I really do think that Christy realised that he made the paper too predictable over the last so many years, but did he REALLY have to take it ALL out on us?! He made a tortured example of thousands of students this year and it's not fair at all that most of us should feel this distressed after a DISASTROUS joke of an exam...

I realise that maybe all my corners weren't as covered as they should've been, but that was too far.

Cheers, again, Christy. You've made our two years (three for some) a complete waste of time and ability.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

Wow, was this exam really that hard? A lot of my close friends do Accounting, and i didnt realise they had such a ridiculous paper. I feel for you guys.

Chin up lads and ladies, theyl be severely changing the marking scheme at this rate.

philbagg wrote: »
    I looked at all the papers and discovered patterns that I found to be likely, not definite, and put more emphasis on my predictions but felt confident about the other possibilities. Also, I was banking on the same stuff that came up in the mocks to come up (in fairness, the mocks were very accurate predictions), so once again; prioritising... Anything varied to come up, I felt ok about (one or two new workings, service instead of club etc.)

Then we all sat in school before the exam, studying but also laughing and joking "imagine if they put a departmental up" (hadn't studied it)

or

"Imagine they put a cash flow and suspense in section 2"

We all just brushed it off with a "stop makin me think about that! It wont happen!!"

Then as we walked into the exam, we all took a glance at the paper before 2:00PM... Looked at Q1, was a bit worried but felt ok enough. Looked at Q9, LOVELY!! When we all opened section two, our jaws dropped as we look around at one another... Everyone started panickin and most heads were dropped into their hands!! I was shakin, almost getting sick! I couldn't answer section 2 at all, so for a subject that I was aiming for a high B in, I'm now praying to pass it!!

I have to say, I really do think that Christy realised that he made the paper too predictable over the last so many years, but did he REALLY have to take it ALL out on us?! He made a tortured example of thousands of students this year and it's not fair at all that most of us should feel this distressed after a DISASTROUS joke of an exam...

I realise that maybe all my corners weren't as covered as they should've been, but that was too far.

Cheers, again, Christy. You've made our two years (three for some) a complete waste of time and ability.

I said to two of my friends before the exam "imagine if Ratio's, Cash Flow and a Suspense came up". They were like, "will ya go away outta that". We had a laugh about it...

We weren't laughing when we came out of that hall...

mars bar wrote: »
    I said to two of my friends before the exam "imagine if Ratio's, Cash Flow and a Suspense came up". They were like, "will ya go away outta that". We had a laugh about it...

We weren't laughing when we came out of that hall...

We didn't even talk about Ratios (our class never really liked them), and we were banking on a club and published in section 2, and we were nearly certain that at least ONE of the two would come up... I mean, "they wouldn't be THAT cruel" was what we were saying...

And you're right, I think that all of the smiles were wiped off a few thousand faces at 2pm yesterday. What were the chances?!

MattD wrote: »
    Chin up lads and ladies, theyl be severely changing the marking scheme at this rate.

Never mind that, they should be severely changing Christy Tyrrells face right now :mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 drunknmunky_69

for me i was delighted when i saw the topics...i was expecting a cash flow 100m and suspense was supposed to be my best question.
    So i started them and then realised how messed up they were. Like it would have been fine if they were the normal question but to mess with them like that.
    New workings in suspense and a weird cash flow.Sound Christy..

I had looked over suspense before I went in and I have balanced a few in my time but I didn't understand what they were on about in those adjustments.

• Registered Users Posts: 140 ✭✭Slashman X

for me i was delighted when i saw the topics...i was expecting a cash flow 100m and suspense was supposed to be my best question.
    So i started them and then realised how messed up they were. Like it would have been fine if they were the normal question but to mess with them like that.
    Exactly like me, I opened the paper, looked through it and thought "Yes! This is simple".

Then I started to actually do the questions, my attitude changed just a tad :p

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭orangetictac

Yup me too.
    I hated guessing, especially for the suspense( only new like 2 adjustments)!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

philbagg wrote: »
    Never mind that, they should be severely changing Christy Tyrrells face right now :mad:
    If he dare show his face in public.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7 lisa-kk

the rage i have towards acc is actually kinda scary!:mad::mad::mad:

i'm hopin 2 get 450 points in the big lc to be safe.......i got 385 in the pres, i no its a big jump bt i believed acc wood help me!
    got a d3 in the pre....wanted 2 come up 2 a b3 n believed i could!
    bt wat a bitch of a paper??????

ok being fair club was ok n published had a few tricky bits!
    cash flow 100 i thought wood appear n luckily had it studied.
    bt suspense made me nearly cry......i had tears in my eyes n had 2 leace 4 a min!!!
    those stupid ****ers who set it have ruined my future...simple! if i didnt no who set it i wood o sayin wen the person did she was on her period!! unless men ave periods!!!!!
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    n the theory was laughable....simple! wen i handed up my paper i simple said 'i dunno should i laugh or cry!!'.........to feel like that after 2 yrs of hard work i believe is terrible........

lisa-kk wrote: »
    those stupid ****ers who set it have ruined my future...simple!

to feel like that after 2 yrs of hard work i believe is terrible........

Dead right... Out of the two years, I'd say that most people who did accounting put the MOST work into that, because it IS a subject that needs constant practice. And to endure two years of studying that hard for it, and then end up being crucified like that is simply disgusting. Most people who did the exam in my class were depending on the points from that because they believed they could get A's in it (and I don't doubt that, some of them were really good), but that just ruined so many opportunities for peoples futures. And I personally believe that we should all send Christy Tyrrell a big thank you for messing up so many futures.

Everybody agree?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

lisa-kk wrote: »
    if i didnt no who set it i wood o sayin wen the person did she was on her period!! unless men ave periods!!!!!
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:
    :D:D:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,641 ✭✭✭andyman

As a 5th Year student who was sad enough to look at the Accounting paper, I have to say that compared to previous years some of those questions were a disgrace. The Sole Trader and Suspense questions looked truely mind-boggling! If it means I'll get an easier paper next year, then I'll have nothing to complain about. But it isn't fair that the majority of people who were cheated out of an A1 are now going to have to settle for a B3, which could balls up their prospects for getting their course.

This is where the Union of Secondary School Students should get up off their arses and make complaints to Minister O'Keeffe and the State Examinations Commission.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,013 ✭✭✭MattD

Someone has to get the A1s... So those people going on about how well prepared they were, and how amazing at accounting they were should get them anyway.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 drunknmunky_69

MattD wrote: »
    Someone has to get the A1s... So those people going on about how well prepared they were, and how amazing at accounting they were should get them anyway.

ya but with accounting if you got an answer wrong they can hardly give you points for it just because others did worse tot ry to give some A1s. Im sure there'll be a percentage who have a natural accounting ability who managed to figure out the questions..but id say there'll be a lower A1 percentage than previous years...

Ps:Christy sucks

• Registered Users Posts: 179 ✭✭Siog-Alainn

I agree with most of what's being said here.

Thought it was a horrible paper, was hoping for an A1, did a second mock in early May and got 90% and had practiced a lot since then. I wouldn't have minded so much bout the unpredictable nature of the paper, but the fact there was so many new adjustments and far too complicated theory questions REALLY annoys me.

Our teacher decided not to cover budgetting with us as we were running out of time, time we used to cover the most likely topics to appear, then what does he do? Only puts on a budgetting question as part of question 8. AND along with the normal marginal costing that other years had 35 mins to do. Also, we weren't shown how the marks for that question were allocated, who knew how much time to spend on each of them?!

GRR

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

Our teacher decided not to cover budgetting with us as we were running out of time, time we used to cover the most likely topics to appear, then what does he do? Only puts on a budgetting question as part of question 8. AND along with the normal marginal costing that other years had 35 mins to do. Also, we weren't shown how the marks for that question were allocated, who knew how much time to spend on each of them?!

GRR

We never did budgeting either :mad: But we did have a look at High-Low but I had no memory of it at all.. Yeah they never show the marks on that question, but the last 2 years the B part was approx. 25-30% I think... And I agree, it was nearly a full marginal costing question, which is just annoying.. Maybe the budgeting will only be 10% :p :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

A friend and I were discussing this on the phone. We had prepared published, clubs, suspense and ratios perfectly. But we were both quite weak at suspense and were praying that it would be ratios and club/published would come up. But then we said, suspense won't be too bad because we've practiced the last 10years (whatever came up) of suspense.

We never anticipated those 3 absolutely horrific adjustments that Christy thought might be challenging.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

Some Neil Gallagher chap wrote into the independent today. He said he was an A1 student, now hoping for a C.
    He referred to these very boards also.

Advertisement