Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Accounting-Howd it go for you

Options

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 24 flint_72

well,while i hope they dont dumb down the marking scheme,they can do it in ways.Say in the Suspense only have a few marks for the 1st n 4th adjustments.Whats the 3rd one i Here people sayin was new? those 2 were new,bu probably only worth a small part of the entire questino. and That exact theory questin has come up before [2006 Q7. part (e) ] and If people properally understood the Double entry and Ledger system it should have been no problem to figure out.

And to whoever replied to me,think it was "drunk Monkey" r somethin,if u had done the last 10 years of Sash Flow u should have had nothing new in that question. It was easier than then previous one (2005 [I think] 60 mark question).

and It has happened before that the Costing r Budgeting question has been a mix of 2.not quite a mix,bu look at 2006 Q8. now that was a bitch. BU for people that year,as for people this year,they could have done the Q9.

As for Q1, the only new adjustement was part (iv) ,which was a Ledger type adjustement. A bit odd alright,but again,if u understand properly how the Ledger n Double enrty works it should have been grand to figure out what u needed to do. The bad debt recoverable was new aswell,bu it wasnt hard.

I really dont know what every1 is moaning about. Some people say they spent 2 years hard working.Well you obviously didnt work hard enough. I did this subject outside of school,and I still managed it. So most people should have a big advantage over me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13 lcaccounting

flint_72 wrote: »
    well,while i hope they dont dumb down the marking scheme,they can do it in ways.Say in the Suspense only have a few marks for the 1st n 4th adjustments.Whats the 3rd one i Here people sayin was new? those 2 were new,bu probably only worth a small part of the entire questino. and That exact theory questin has come up before [2006 Q7. part (e) ] and If people properally understood the Double entry and Ledger system it should have been no problem to figure out.

And to whoever replied to me,think it was "drunk Monkey" r somethin,if u had done the last 10 years of Sash Flow u should have had nothing new in that question. It was easier than then previous one (2005 [I think] 60 mark question).

and It has happened before that the Costing r Budgeting question has been a mix of 2.not quite a mix,bu look at 2006 Q8. now that was a bitch. BU for people that year,as for people this year,they could have done the Q9.

As for Q1, the only new adjustement was part (iv) ,which was a Ledger type adjustement. A bit odd alright,but again,if u understand properly how the Ledger n Double enrty works it should have been grand to figure out what u needed to do. The bad debt recoverable was new aswell,bu it wasnt hard.

I really dont know what every1 is moaning about. Some people say they spent 2 years hard working.Well you obviously didnt work hard enough. I did this subject outside of school,and I still managed it. So most people should have a big advantage over me.

A reasonable voice speaks at last!

• Registered Users Posts: 494 ✭✭muffinman

It has never even come close to a mix of costing and budgeting before.. 2006 were both (quite approachable) costing sections... A lot of "people this year" (like myself) could not have done Q9, considering it hasn't been taught to us.. That's hardly our fault that we haven't been taught it.. Anyway.. I'm done now with the LC and I'm happy, but a lot of people aren't so saying that kind of thing doesn't help anyone...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭nerd3000

Firstly next years Leaving Cert's are KIDDING themselves if they think Accounting will become easier after this cloud of controversy.
    I'm telling ya Accounting will get harder and harder. 2007 got it bad enough with Q1.
    2008 got gang raped down a darkened alley.

But, I would like to point this out.

In 2006, A Company account was widely expected. (i.e as much as we were expecting a Manufac) a Sole Trader came up in 2006. Shocke, Controversy you name it, Summer 2006 was bad for Christy. The Suspense that year was also as difficult as ours. An aul Farm account turned up when a lot never knew it existed. A Tabular 100 and a Flexible were also nasty. Basically, My Bro doing the LC that year went on predictions and lost out big time, or so he thought but ended up with a B2 in the end.

In 2005, in my opinion the EASIEST YEAR EVER. A Manufac turned up, A Published 100, An Incomplete 100, and a Production Budget. An absolute dream to say the least. The theory was even nice.

But, the latest Chief Examiners report concludes that from 2001 - 2006 the LOWEST amount of A1 grades were achieved in .............2005!!!!!

• Registered Users Posts: 31,936 ✭✭✭✭Mars Bar

That has to be the most uplifting post in all 13 pages! Thanks Nerd3000.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,583 ✭✭✭alan4cult

Yes we do, we can spell.

• Registered Users Posts: 724 ✭✭✭Paddy001

alan4cult wrote: »
    Yes we do, we can spell.
    :D:D

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

This post makes me sick to the point of projectile vomiting because:

1. You're accusing us of moaning. It's a fairly widely-held perception by many students and teachers alike that the paper was unnecessarily overly difficult.
    2. Accusing people of not working hard enough is equally ridiculous. I put a lot of effort into accounting, almost to the point where I could have jepoardised the results in my other six subjects.
    3. Doing a subject outside of school is hardly an amazing feat. People do it frequently for other subjects and still are as well prepared as the students who do the subject as part of their orthodox school timetable.
    4. We all managed, so to speak. The other issue is whether or not we obtained the results that our 2 years graft warranted.
    5. For all you know our teachers may be highly incompetent (not in my case) and your's could be Christy Tyrell! You are hardly as well informed as to comment in that regard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 lisa-kk

wel it must be fab 2 b so great like u eh!!!

firstly its not moanin its only statin an opinion!!
    n to say that ppl have nt work or nt work hard enough is f**kin rude!! how d hell wood u no eh mr/mrs(bt i ave this feelin u wood ave 2 be a man!!) know it all?? n wats so great about doin a subject outside skool.....who gives a ****!!!

i thought i was mad after d exam bt u ave really pissed me off!!!!!:mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

lisa-kk wrote: »
    wel it must be fab 2 b so great like u

Why thank you,it is quite great to be me.Its also great to have a nice A1 in Accounting in the bag :)

Well i'd like to point out i never said I was so great. In fact I was implying the exact opposite,that I should be worse than most. And the work I had to put into Accounting tool from my other seven subjects btw. No,I dont no who this Cristy guy is,I just read here that he wrote the paper and loads of people r giving out about him,and Im saying they shouldnt b givin out about him for not being prepaired. My teacher was a Mr. Kev K. (should I give out names? )

And,yes,and I am man,and quite proud of it. Do I detect a hint of jealousy? u started being nasty,so now its my turn. How does it feel that a MAN beet u in ur Accounting that u apparently worked so hard at?? and I hate to be big headed,bu would u like 2 come back here in 6 weeks n I can tell u how much points I get over all??? i was aming for 600,n am certain I got at least 570 [Ive checked my answers for most subjects wit loads of people n on here,n I got an A in French in my Mocks so ill have gotten at least a B if not the same again] (again I dont mean to blow my own trumpet but ur one started making it personal)
    Ekels wrote: »
    1. You're accusing us of moaning. It's a fairly widely-held perception by many students and teachers alike that the paper was unnecessarily overly difficult.

I havent heard any teachers saying it was "overly" hard.All 3 that I have heard talk about the paper said it was different to what was expected,but not overly hard.As did that tutor guy on here
    Guys,

I am a tutor from <snip> and I want to make a couple of points:

1. There is an error in Q5 and all students who did the question will not be penalised for this.
    2. No matter how many times I say this to students they ignore it ' you must cover all the questions - you cannot leave out any area'
    3. 100 mark cash flow was widely tipped - lack of preperation is unacceptable
    4. Your emails / letters to Dept. mean nothing but may make you feel better.
    5. There will be a cashflow question on every accounting exam you do after school. I have done approx 15 cash flow exam questions throughout my career - get used to it!!
    6. Personally attacking Christy and his team is 'sour grapes' - the exam was fair - apart from section c q8 which was slighly nasty.
    7. This exam has highlighted the importance of 'theory'
    8. I agree you should not be using Chr''tys book - it is rubbish, I recommend using examsupport combined with past papers or <snip>which will be live next year.
    9. too may students thought that by learning off a few questions they were guaranteed an A.

Best of Luck with the results.

And yes,a few the students in my school were disapointed that what they didnt study came up,but they took it like real MEN and blamed themselves for not studying everything,rather than crying and moaning about it and blaming every1 but themselves.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 21 philbagg

Flint 72, the majority of us don't appreciate your boastfulness on this forum. Most people on this have been really disheartened about the exams due to this particular exams difficulty, so be the "man" you're supposed to be and don't kick people while they're down.

Personally, I'd rather have a D with my dignity, than an A with arrogance. If you're confident about that A of yours, that should be a full reward in itself, so don't go trying to make yourself feel that extra bit better by coming on here and ranting about it.

You may have the good grades, but it's your childish attitude that will hold you back post-leaving cert more than our tarnished grades (speaking only for those who feel this way).

Maybe something that you should be working on isn't academia, it's people skills and down right common decency.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 94 ✭✭Turquoise

Why thank you,it is quite great to be me.Its also great to have a nice A1 in Accounting in the bag :)

Well i'd like to point out i never said I was so great. In fact I was implying the exact opposite,that I should be worse than most. And the work I had to put into Accounting tool from my other seven subjects btw. No,I dont no who this Cristy guy is,I just read here that he wrote the paper and loads of people r giving out about him,and Im saying they shouldnt b givin out about him for not being prepaired. My teacher was a Mr. Kev K. (should I give out names? )

And,yes,and I am man,and quite proud of it. Do I detect a hint of jealousy? u started being nasty,so now its my turn. How does it feel that a MAN beet u in ur Accounting that u apparently worked so hard at?? and I hate to be big headed,bu would u like 2 come back here in 6 weeks n I can tell u how much points I get over all??? i was aming for 600,n am certain I got at least 570 [Ive checked my answers for most subjects wit loads of people n on here,n I got an A in French in my Mocks so ill have gotten at least a B if not the same again] (again I dont mean to blow my own trumpet but ur one started making it personal)

I havent heard any teachers saying it was "overly" hard.All 3 that I have heard talk about the paper said it was different to what was expected,but not overly hard.As did that tutor guy on here

And yes,a few the students in my school were disapointed that what they didnt study came up,but they took it like real MEN and blamed themselves for not studying everything,rather than crying and moaning about it and blaming every1 but themselves.

Well you have my commiserations in advance for your fail in English.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,149 ✭✭✭ZorbaTehZ

"real" men would come onto the internet and start boasting how ez it was? Cop yourself on and stop acting like a retard.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 manu1999/2008

ZorbaTehZ wrote: »
    "real" men would come onto the internet and start boasting how ez it was? Cop yourself on and stop acting like a retard.

hey i am one of these "real men" flint 72 was talking about and yes the test was horrible and i didn't like it at all! but there ain't really anything that can be done now and that i should have done the others topics in revision for the test but i didn't so i can't do anything about it now!! so we just got to get on in life!

hey flint 72 its Farrell:D:D

Our teacher said it was sh1t, using that exact word. She sympathised with us and really couldn't believe he could do such a big injustice.

mars bar wrote: »
    Our teacher said it was sh1t, using that exact word. She sympathised with us and really couldn't believe he could do such a big injustice.

Mine cried, couldn't believe it.
    A teacher in the Indo also said it was very, very difficult.

I love how each of Flint's argument have a blatent lack of logic, intellect and good spelling and yet he expects us to believe that he's already got 570 points, without a paper being marked.

I hope we're "prepaired" for when he "beets" us, because he's a MAN!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭COCK

it was very unfair for them to plan such a difficult paper out of the blue but accounting has become such a pattern subject that it takes no accounting ability to get an A1 in it...

it seems that this year was a statement by the accounting people that theyre sick of giving out a1s (it was like the highest a1 rate-8% or something)

a few of the adjustments in the sole trader were difficult but if you were to think about them they werent that bad.

the suspense was very challenging a real test of understanding of accounting like NO ONE got it right id say

but the theory bit...its been increasing more and more every year and its not exactly difficult to learn and that stuff is all in the book i promise you

if you had done the questions fully through (especially the suspense and cash flow) and gotten it in the right format and stuff youll pick up most of the marks the worst thing to have been done was to skip the question cuz it was so hard.

so it wont be that bad theyll mark it easy but from now on id say that accounting is no longer a pussy subject :)

We never do cash flows, ever. Our teacher doesn't teach them. We did Ratios and they were fine but the suspense, we had that done but we were expecting a Published or club so it wasn't brilliantly prepared. Probably would have been able to handle it if the adjustments int he suspense weren't so hard. I just gave up and left it. I'd be lucky to get 10 marks out of it.

Hay Farrel,hows it going? You'll have done fine.As you can see,im being attacked here for saying it was a grand paper :P.

Anyway,as said [and not that its any of your business and we're getting side tracked here],I do mostly Maths subjects; Maths,Applied Maths,Accounting,Physics and Chemistry,and then my 6th point subject is French.have a look through the Applied Maths,Physics Accounting and Chemistry answers threads and you'll see that my answers match the majority.Also check out the link in the Applied Maths thread for solutions to Maths.And I can show you my Mocks results (545 btw) if you really wish,[though you'll have to come to Dublin,i couldn't be bothered moving :P].And as for spelling I never bother with a spellchecker and I type fast [and incorrectly :P] all the time.Maths is my thing,not wrighting.

And anyway,this is besides the point.The arguement is over the Accounting paper,and it was a grand paper if one had compleately done the entire course and understood everything,as opposed to mindlessly learning off enteries without understanding what they're doing [though this only really comes into play with Suspense].And all the complaining that anybody does over how the predicted topics didn't come up isn't going to do them any good at all.You should have done everything a few months ago,then you wouldnt be in this mess.

And I have not been trying to kick people while there down [and I did say it was not my intention to boast] but other people started getting personal over this at me first.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,301 ✭✭✭blue-army

mars bar wrote: »
    We never do cash flows, ever.
    Same as us.....We did them for a week or two in 5th year, but we spent most of our time on question 1.
    Back in about April, someone in our class asked our teacher if he could see a Cash Flow 100 marker coming up...His response was "I'd doubt it, It looks as if they're phasing out the 100mark cash flow question"....and since we were all doing question 1 we didn't bother going over the 60mk cash flow either.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 aka_sims

Ok so I've been watching this thread for a while since the Accounting paper and I have to agree with the majority of you.
    I found the paper to be very difficult, in particular the Theory.

I know full well that the theory can be worth up to 20% if not more of the paper, my teacher has drilled this fact into our heads since the beginning of 5th year. The night before I went though all the theory notes I had from past papers, magazines and our book. Some of the theory I saw on the paper had not been in any of the notes I had so that irked me.
    Naturally I had predicitions on what questions I felt would come up but I didn't stop at just those topics, I studied every topic we'd covered in school with the exception of Marginal, Suspense, Interpretation of Accounts and Company Accounts because I'd never really gotten the hang of them.
    I was completely prepared for a Published Account, Club Account, Budgeting [Q. 9] and 100 mark Cash Flow Statement so when I saw those on the paper I was delighted. (Although I was kind of annoyed because I had to resort to Interpretation of Accounts and I was not good at those but it's my fault I did not look at those questions more before the exam but that's over now.)
    So I started on the Club and that went fine as did the Budgeting. However, the next 3 questions I did were an absolute disaster despite the fact that I was prepared for them.

That paper was definitely very difficult. Since 5th year I've put the most work into my Accounting. I put more work into it than I did into even my Historry Research Topic and Geography Fieldwork. I spent at least an hour each night on the subject.
    I love Accounting and want to study Accounting in College so I made sure I did everything I could
    In my mocks I did pretty bad, 55%, but in a second one we did in May I got 85%. So I put even more work into my Accounting before the actual exams.
    I was feeling pretty happy before the exam and for the first 30 minutes but after that I began to get really upset. I just totally lost it and went blank.

So in short I'm saying you can be prepared for most of the questions and the theory and still think that the paper was difficult. With the exception of the Mocks I did I usually got A1s in class tests.
    I think now after that exam I'll be lucky to even get a C3. I needed the points on this but it's likely I might have to resort to one of my pass subjects for points now which upsets me as this is my favourite subject, apart from English.
    I empathise with all of you who put in a lot of hardwork only to be let down by this horrible paper.
    After the exam I came out and my teachers agreed that the paper was pretty crappy and told us not to worry about it. This exam was just the start of what would be a terrible beginning to the summer holidays.

Sorry for such a long post/rant.:o

aka_sims wrote: »
    Ok so I've been watching this thread for a while since the Accounting paper and I have to agree with the majority of you.
    I found the paper to be very difficult, in particular the Theory.

I know full well that the theory can be worth up to 20% if not more of the paper, my teacher has drilled this fact into our heads since the beginning of 5th year. The night before I went though all the theory notes I had from past papers, magazines and our book. Some of the theory I saw on the paper had not been in any of the notes I had so that irked me.
    Naturally I had predicitions on what questions I felt would come up but I didn't stop at just those topics, I studied every topic we'd covered in school with the exception of Marginal, Suspense, Interpretation of Accounts and Company Accounts because I'd never really gotten the hang of them.
    I was completely prepared for a Published Account, Club Account, Budgeting [Q. 9] and 100 mark Cash Flow Statement so when I saw those on the paper I was delighted. (Although I was kind of annoyed because I had to resort to Interpretation of Accounts and I was not good at those but it's my fault I did not look at those questions more before the exam but that's over now.)
    So I started on the Club and that went fine as did the Budgeting. However, the next 3 questions I did were an absolute disaster despite the fact that I was prepared for them.

That paper was definitely very difficult. Since 5th year I've put the most work into my Accounting. I put more work into it than I did into even my Historry Research Topic and Geography Fieldwork. I spent at least an hour each night on the subject.
    I love Accounting and want to study Accounting in College so I made sure I did everything I could
    In my mocks I did pretty bad, 55%, but in a second one we did in May I got 85%. So I put even more work into my Accounting before the actual exams.
    I was feeling pretty happy before the exam and for the first 30 minutes but after that I began to get really upset. I just totally lost it and went blank.

So in short I'm saying you can be prepared for most of the questions and the theory and still think that the paper was difficult. With the exception of the Mocks I did I usually got A1s in class tests.
    I think now after that exam I'll be lucky to even get a C3. I needed the points on this but it's likely I might have to resort to one of my pass subjects for points now which upsets me as this is my favourite subject, apart from English.
    I empathise with all of you who put in a lot of hardwork only to be let down by this horrible paper.
    After the exam I came out and my teachers agreed that the paper was pretty crappy and told us not to worry about it. This exam was just the start of what would be a terrible beginning to the summer holidays.

Sorry for such a long post/rant.:o

be glad to have that extra subject, I only had six so I better have passed or I'm doomed!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 aka_sims

Oh dear. Best of luck then. I really hope you pass. :) *sends good luck vibes your way*
    I did 7 subjects, 2 pass.
    I was really hoping on getting to go to DCU but after the Leaving Cert I just sat not a chance.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7 lisa-kk

ok wat a dick! like get over youself!
    i will meet u back ere in six wks n wateva points i get 100 or 600 i will be delighted with them n at least i'll no i am a f**kin dope thats stuck up my arse!
    n all d points in the world cant get u happiness or a woman like me.....:p

n be me jealous of a man....??? ha god wateva!! god i sound like i hate men altogether.....i dont......jst u!

good luck with life in college...you'll need it with a attitude like yours!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭nerd3000

Maths is my thing,not wrighting.

The arguement is over the Accounting paper,and it was a grand paper if one had compleately done the entire course and understood everything,as opposed to mindlessly learning off enteries without understanding...

Maths may be your thing but those words you spelt incorrectly aren't even challenging and for someone who got 545 in their mocks should easily spell.
    A lad in my school only got 500 in his mocks and ended up with 700 in the LC..Frankly, I don't think 545 is possible form the mocks. If you cheat or lie about it then impossible is nothing!

Do you have exemption from English and Irish or something? they are compulsory subjects!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 21 philbagg

And I can show you my Mocks results (545 btw)

You should have done everything a few months ago,then you wouldnt be in this mess.

And I have not been trying to kick people while there down [and I did say it was not my intention to boast]

That's kinda funny how the last sentence contradicts the other two...

I'm with Lisa on this; get lost

• Closed Accounts Posts: 86 ✭✭yay_for_summer

Just to all the people who're worried about dropping a good few grades - my accounting teacher's been teaching for yeeeeaars and she never predicts because she doesn't like her students to depend on her predictons in case she's wrong. But she said to us after the exam, which I think every single one of my class found pretty disastrous, that A1 students will not drop to a D. If you have the accounting knowledge to get an A usually, yes you might drop to a B maybe, but you won't fail. Your knowledge of the double entry system etc will still stand to you and the workings marks will just be worth more since everyone found it difficult. It reassured me a little bit so it might help someone else hopefully.

Also I think there was a new chief examiner setting the exam this year...not 100% sure though.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 48 drunknmunky_69

Ok look people are getting a bit to personal towards flint_72. I agree that him coming on here and talking about how good he got on doesn't help. But picking on him because of his writing is just plain stupid. You're annoyed because of his arrogance but its pretty sad to argue with him.

nerd3000 wrote: »

Frankly, I don't think 545 is possible form the mocks. If you cheat or lie about it then impossible is nothing!

Do you have exemption from English and Irish or something? they are compulsory subjects!!

Also if you are repeating the leaving cert you don't have to take english or irish..

And,545 is very possible in the mocks if you work hard enough. Anybody going for high points like 560/570 would need to be aiming for above 500 in the mocks anyways.

• Advertisement

I was working in a bar today and I began to speak to a customer. He asked me about how I got on in the leaving cert, I said fine (didn't bother mentioning accounting) and then he said, "my niece did it too, she was very happy with everything except for accounting, she found that very. very difficult."

That was reassuring.

Advertisement