Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo says "No" to Argos - again

Options
  • 17-06-2008 5:33pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭

The Weekender says that four new units will be built at Carraroe Retail Park with more car parking
    BUT
    " the retail element of development is restricted to retail ware-housing development only, the restriction of the type of goods sold which has prevented stores such as Argos setting up at Carraroe"

The men who constantly bang on about Sligo being a Gateway City and capital of the North-West (it is not but that is for another forum) still restrict the people's choice. What would happen if SuperQuinn or Marks & Spencer wanted to open in Sligo? would they be barred too?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

Oh for the love of God.

• Registered Users Posts: 17,399 ✭✭✭✭r3nu4l

My God! Really? Why? Is this to 'protect local business' or something?
    Any reason given?

Seems strange and a little bit backward to be honest.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 60,096 Mod ✭✭✭✭Tar.Aldarion

Hah, I'm glad I left Sligo. What nonsense.

r3nu4l wrote: »
    My God! Really? Why? Is this to 'protect local business' or something?Any reason given?

Seems strange and a little bit backward to be honest.

Got it in one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

maybe we should go to the chamber of commerce and slap them upside the head?
    Posted via Mobile Device

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,138 ✭✭✭takola

maybe we should go to the chamber of commerce and slap them upside the head?
    Posted via Mobile Device

I like this idea Brian. Could you do it. We'll just watch! :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

They could build Argos underground & hope the council / Chambers don't notice. If everyone went into it dressed as Wombles, we might get away with it. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

takola wrote: »
    I like this idea Brian. Could you do it. We'll just watch! :)

watch me get hauled off to the barracks you mean! also lolz at the wombles idea.

Posted via Mobile Device

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

They could build Argos underground & hope the council / Chambers don't notice. If everyone went into it dressed as Wombles, we might get away with it. :D

I like that idea, making a womble costume as we speak:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

I went to see them in concert when I was a kid...showing my age again:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,484 ✭✭✭JIZZLORD

Hah, I'm glad I left Sligo. What nonsense.

lol, i hope avril lavigne visits this tar.aldarion-less sligo.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

That's a very poor decision indeed. From what I heard the same group of local businessmen/women have been against this before. Surely they should know that it would be great for the town. Look at Galway and Enniskillen, they have both got Argos stores and they really went out of their way to make sure they came. Let's have a petition. Bring Argos here NOW!!

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

How about we send letters to the members who protested Argos moving in letting them know we'll be boycotting their places of business in favour of shopping elsewhere until Argos moves in?

Yep. That's a very good idea. Get them where it hurts. In the pocket. Goodness knows, their prices are through the roof!!!

Yeah, I don't think I'll mention the fact that I probably don't shop in their stores already due to their crazy prices.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 991 ✭✭✭Big_Mac

Xiney wrote: »
    How about we send letters to the members who protested Argos moving in letting them know we'll be boycotting their places of business in favour of shopping elsewhere until Argos moves in?

Against the wind p!ssing would you be young padawan.

Unfortunately this has all been done before. The good ole chamber of commerce stuck their oar in before about this and stopped Argos from coming in. A lot of business's did not object to them coming down and they resigned from the chamber as a result of their obstinance over it. However, it's pointless. They have continued relentlessly with their objections regardless of what the consumer wants. They are too busy protecting their own profits by preventing them from coming down. It went so far as that the quay st shopping center offered them a store to bring them in, but it was too small for them. There is another thread on this in the Sligo forum that has a bit more detail on it.

Bunch of knob jockeys!

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

In fairness I think the Auld Chamber have missed the point. Argos is somewhere people travel to to buy "stuff" while there they will walk the town and avail of the other services available there!!!!!
    It will not stop people buying things from the already rooted business in the town but simply draw more people from the greater Sligo, Mayo .....etc area to Sligo, instead of sending to the next town that has an argos!!

it baffles me:confused:

Well, in that case I'll just move away from Sligo to somewhere that has an Argos. That should be easy, since everywhere else in this freakin' country has one!! :mad:

Well I am going to be here for the next 4-5 years and during that time I hope to have many options open to me regrading shopping (especially electrical/computer related). The retail park (where PC World is) would be ideal for Argos to locate. Be great for business (from the customer's point of view). Don't know about the summer as I will be working abroad. During the year defo. Come on guys, Sligo is waiting for you!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Too angry to post!
    B@stards!

Just a quick note regarding some of my posts. I like writing. You will definitely come across typing errors during my posts. This is because I am working on my speed and am a bit careless at the moment. Please bear with me , I am doing my best. The work is ongoing. :)

Oh just in case I get into trouble with the moderators for potentially trolling, I will stick to the topic. Argos needs to come here, it is needed by all. Thank you. :)

• Registered Users Posts: 223 ✭✭easkey

Gillie wrote: »
    Too angry to post!
    B@stards!

Yes I do agree with you again Gillie..:mad::mad::mad:

I am one of the people who think Argos should be here.
    They would bring lots of people to shop there and
    they would also spend in other shops.

In today’s Sligo Champion (bottom front page) it says

“There has been a dramatic increase in the number
    Of people signing on for unemployment assistance in
    Sligo over the past 12 months”

Argos also gives job’s to people and puts money
    into the local economy.:rolleyes:

But we know our politicians do not really care about the people of Sligo.:mad:
    :mad::mad::mad::mad::mad:

The bit that they quote in the "Charter" where they say that the goods that Argos sell are not allowed (Warning. Extremely Paraphrased!).

Well can someone explain how this can be coz I reckon what Argos sell, it's already being sold up there!

I've to attend a formal "do" tomorrow & need to trim the oul beard (I'm going for the fisherman look these days!)... lost the attachment on the clippers during the house move & there's nowhere in Sligo that sells hair trimmers for men. So, my only options are to either drive to Letterkenny or Longford tomorrow afternoon to get to Argos (who sell a huge variety of them) which is both expensive (petrol wise) & annoying (time / hassle wise). I could always shave the beard off entirely, but I've invested 2 months into cultivating it.

I've to attend a formal "do" tomorrow & need to trim the oul beard (I'm going for the fisherman look these days!)... lost the attachment on the clippers during the house move & there's nowhere in Sligo that sells hair trimmers for men. So, my only options are to either drive to Letterkenny or Longford tomorrow afternoon to get to Argos (who sell a huge variety of them) which is both expensive (petrol wise) & annoying (time / hassle wise). I could always shave the beard off entirely, but I've invested 2 months into cultivating it.

Have you tried any of the Chemists? Are you refering to a normal hair clippers ala the one they'd use in a Barbers?

Have you tried any of the Chemists? Are you refering to a normal hair clippers ala the one they'd use in a Barbers?

Yep - just the normal ones (I use a hedge trimmer on the chest!). Hadn't thought of trying the chemists. I'll give them a shot this evening. Cheers!

I know they sell them chief!
    Got one there before!

I know they sell them chief!
    Got one there before!

Which one? You could save me a walk!

• Advertisement

Eh. Pretty sure it was Nicolsons beside Matt Lyons.

Was a few years ago now but they should still do them.

Advertisement