Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo says "No" to Argos - again

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 7,991 ✭✭✭DenMan

I've to attend a formal "do" tomorrow & need to trim the oul beard (I'm going for the fisherman look these days!)... lost the attachment on the clippers during the house move & there's nowhere in Sligo that sells hair trimmers for men. So, my only options are to either drive to Letterkenny or Longford tomorrow afternoon to get to Argos (who sell a huge variety of them) which is both expensive (petrol wise) & annoying (time / hassle wise). I could always shave the beard off entirely, but I've invested 2 months into cultivating it.

Hey man

Why don't you go to and try Curry's. I'm sure they sell a clipper set/beard trimmer. You might get a good deal (less than 30 quid). I would have suggested Argos as well but we all know that story...:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

DenMan wrote: »
    Hey man

Why don't you go to and try Curry's. I'm sure they sell a clipper set/beard trimmer. You might get a good deal (less than 30 quid). I would have suggested Argos as well but we all know that story...:)

Don't think Currys do them - but I got one in Nicolsons, so .. sorted. Cheers!

Anyhow.. back to Arguuuus... did ye know that they & Homebase are actually sister companies? All Homebase deliveries are done by Argos trucks (in Sligo at least).

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

Anyhow.. back to Arguuuus... did ye know that they & Homebase are actually sister companies? All Homebase deliveries are done by Argos trucks (in Sligo at least).

Dats Riaght!
    25609.jpg

Don't think Currys do them - but I got one in Nicolsons, so .. sorted. Cheers!

Star Belgrade - That your band dude? You gigging at the mo?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

I've to attend a formal "do" tomorrow & need to trim the oul beard (I'm going for the fisherman look these days!)... lost the attachment on the clippers during the house move & there's nowhere in Sligo that sells hair trimmers for men. So, my only options are to either drive to Letterkenny or Longford tomorrow afternoon to get to Argos (who sell a huge variety of them) which is both expensive (petrol wise) & annoying (time / hassle wise). I could always shave the beard off entirely, but I've invested 2 months into cultivating it.

Go to Sally Services (or it could be salon services)?:confused: It's on the corner beside the garda station. One of my favourite shops!:D

Sorry, just noticed there was another page with the news that you already have what you were looking for......keep my suggestion for future reference.....

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 20,739 ✭✭✭✭starbelgrade

DenMan wrote: »
    Star Belgrade - That your band dude? You gigging at the mo?

Yep - and we're currently organising a "Yes to Argos" gig.

Come to think of it, if we lived in a proper democracy, there'd be a referendum in Sligo over the Argos issue. But then again, we the people, are far to dumb to understand the intricacies of the issue & would just vote "No" because we don't understand what the hell's going on. Best to leave the decision making to the likes of politicians as they're so much more intelligent & better educated than ourselves. In fact, if we'd any sense, we'd give up the constitution altogether.

Yep - and we're currently organising a "Yes to Argos" gig.

Come to think of it, if we lived in a proper democracy, there'd be a referendum in Sligo over the Argos issue. But then again, we the people, are far to dumb to understand the intricacies of the issue & would just vote "No" because we don't understand what the hell's going on. Best to leave the decision making to the likes of politicians as they're so much more intelligent & better educated than ourselves. In fact, if we'd any sense, we'd give up the constitution altogether.

Couldn't help it!
    motivaional_communism.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

Aw man gillie I want that tattooed on my back! On argos, I think homebase should just set up an argos out the back while the chamber isn't looking, sell things off the back of the truck, it would be great.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I'm all for it, Brian.

Although I think I'm going to move on from Argos. Bring on Ikea, then! Surely the Sligo Chamber wouldn't argue with that, it would attract people from all over to Sligo.

Xiney wrote: »
    I'm all for it, Brian.

Although I think I'm going to move on from Argos. Bring on Ikea, then! Surely the Sligo Chamber wouldn't argue with that, it would attract people from all over to Sligo.

Now now. We know about your unhealthy obsession with IKEA!;)

• Advertisement

well, all I'm saying is that if the Sligo Chamber are opposed to Argos, maybe trying to make them budge on it isn't worth the trouble.

Maybe if we ask for an Ikea, they'll offer us an Argos to keep us placid?

Where's my torch & pitchfork, anyway?

What a strange way of looking at it!:D

Xiney for Prez!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 486 ✭✭Mrs.T

What a genius plan!! Can we vote for Xiney to be moderater of all Ireland?

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I was ordering from Argos in Limerick today - they've got 3 stores in the one city!! :eek:

We only want one. Jeez.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 1,130 ✭✭✭tuppence

sueme wrote: »
    I was ordering from Argos in Limerick today - they've got 3 stores in the one city!! :eek:

Limerick! Well thats says it all!:rolleyes:
    Rolls over and puts covers back over head.

sueme wrote: »

We only want one. Jeez.

Ugh. sickening.

• Registered Users Posts: 342 ✭✭garth-marenghi

tuppence wrote: »
    Limerick! Well thats says it all!:rolleyes:
    Rolls over and puts covers back over head.

everyone very brave behind their computer screen,:p, il not have anyone making sniping comments about the beautiful and fair city of Limerick that gave us frank mccourt, richard harris,and terry wogan:o,

3 argos in one city, surely that is the pinacle of civillized society:D,

• Registered Users Posts: 5,047 ✭✭✭Culchie

3 argos in one city, surely that is the pinacle of civillized society:D,

Yeh, but it's a bit like the superpub scams ....one of the tills (argos) is just a false one for the staff to use for themselves:pac:

Took the absentee owners ages to cop on why their takings were down

Culchie wrote: »
    Yeh, but it's a bit like the superpub scams ....one of the tills (argos) is just a false one for the staff to use for themselves:pac:

Took the absentee owners ages to cop on why their takings were down

You sure about that? Are you for real? You sure your not having us on man...:rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 712 ✭✭✭GG66

I'm not getting this intense drive to get Argos in Sligo...

I bought a few things when in Dublin but it was inevitably very poor quality or else I could get it cheaper online..

Is it just because it would be convenient?

• Advertisement

GG66 wrote: »

I bought a few things when in Dublin but it was inevitably very poor quality or else I could get it cheaper online..

Its because we all know that it is pure protectionism that is keeping Argos (and others) out of Sligo and it's quick sickening!

GG66 wrote: »

Yep I used to live a five minute walk away from Argos.......in peckham! In the centre of Peckham mind you. ;) I wonder was I missing something. :confused: I miss Woolworths myself! :D (for the cheap sweets and music)
    Its a symbol alright but not a symbol of the kind of sligo I would have been dreaming bout.

Yep I used to live a five minute walk away from Argos.......in peckham! In the centre of Peckham mind you. ;) I wonder was I missing something. :confused: I miss Woolworths myself! :D (for the cheap sweets and music)
    Its a symbol alright but not a symbol of the kind of sligo I would have been dreaming bout.

Hi tuppence

If it's the Argos your referring to in Peckham on Rye Lane I was there as well. Woolworth s is very handy as well and I miss getting things there too!!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Enniskillen has Argos AND Woolworths. Long drive though! :)

Essexboy wrote: »
    Enniskillen has Argos AND Woolworths. Long drive though! :)
    Thanks Essexboy, but its alright really. If I wasnt going to walk five mins to Argos I aint going to go out of my way now. ;)
    And mind if I really miss the matchmakers chocolates I'l see if I can car pool since there's obviously a fierce amount of people heading up them parts these days! :D

I want to move to Enniskillen.

I was there today for the first time. I'm in love. Woolworth's ftw!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I want to move to Enniskillen.

I was there today for the first time. I'm in love. Woolworth's ftw!

Did you go to ASDA? Now ASDA ftw.

Not yet - only went into Woolworth's, Bargain Books, the Castle, saw Devinish Island... and had a very crap (but cheap) dinner in the Wetherspoons.

But I saw all the other stores and I'm going back soon!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,474 ✭✭✭YeatsCounty

....and had a very crap (but cheap) dinner in the Wetherspoons.
    The horror.....the horror. :(

• Advertisement

Never saw the attraction of Enniskillen myself!

Derry is much better for shopping imo!

Advertisement