Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Sligo says "No" to Argos - again

Options
13»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

You should have had your dinner in Asda, massive dinners and really cheap too.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,659 ✭✭✭magnumlady

GG66 wrote: »
    I'm not getting this intense drive to get Argos in Sligo...

I bought a few things when in Dublin but it was inevitably very poor quality or else I could get it cheaper online..

Is it just because it would be convenient?

Argos has good bargains in their sales and I think its now got to the stage of 'Why shouldn't Sligo have an Argos?'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dmaggie

sligo needs a store like heatons and sports world save me travelling to carrick or enniskillen. great store for bargains;)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,640 ✭✭✭Gillie

dmaggie wrote: »
    sligo needs a store like heatons and sports world save me travelling to carrick or enniskillen. great store for bargains;)

If you were to believe the rumours it's going into the Woods's site in Castle Street!

Crazy location considering there is a load of empty units in Cleveragh business park!

• Registered Users Posts: 4,392 ✭✭✭TequilaMockingBird

I think Woods would be a good spot for a Heatons, it would regenerate that street, which is woeful at the moment.

• Advertisement

sueme wrote: »
    I think Woods would be a good spot for a Heatons, it would regenerate that street, which is woeful at the moment.

That's actually a very good point!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,589 ✭✭✭Hail 2 Da Chimp

^ There was a thread on this recently, Woods is being turned into apartments and a restaurant I believe.
    If it were to go to Cleveragh or down by smiths at least it would take some of the traffic away from town...

^ There was a thread on this recently, Woods is being turned into apartments and a restaurant I believe.
    If it were to go to Cleveragh or down by smiths at least it would take some of the traffic away from town...

I think the restaurant is at the back, on the river. Shops to the front.

Whats going in the middle?

The chimp cages.

• Advertisement

Kevin Quinn is supposed to be putting in a big pub to compete with Shenanigans

I must check it out, hot lady Chimps in cages - Just the way H2DC likes it :)

Actually are Heatons coming to Sligo or is that just a suggestion :confused:

Actually are Heatons coming to Sligo or is that just a suggestion :confused:

Dunno, check this thread in two years, after the legal wrangling and the planning permission fiascos and we might be able to give a difinative answer.

Dunno, check this thread in two years, after the legal wrangling and the planning permission fiascos and we might be able to give a difinative answer.

Quite the cynic!:rolleyes:

Gillie wrote: »
    Quite the cynic!:rolleyes:

Did you...did you... just use ROLLEYES on me???? :eek:

*Senses' it's on *

Did you...did you... just use ROLLEYES on me???? :eek:

I sure did! And YOU'LL LIKE IT!:cool:
    :rolleyes::rolleyes::rolleyes:

:eek:

Dear Mods

Gillie, the former "Voice of Reason, Mild Mannered, Genial Kind of Guy" has lost the plot. Please ban him.

With thanks,
    Sueme

And to stay on topic: I love Argos.

:eek:

Dear Mods

Gillie, the former "Voice of Reason, Mild Mannered, Genial Kind of Guy" has lost the plot. Please ban him.

With thanks,
    Sueme

And to stay on topic: I love Argos.

I second that call...wait a sec?!:eek:

You know i'm not too bothered anymore about Argos. If Heatons gets in i'd be more than happy!

• Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Atlantic Homecare might come out here, I've heard a little rumor floating about that they could be. That would be good.

• Advertisement

DenMan wrote: »
    Atlantic Homecare might come out here, I've heard a little rumor floating about that they could be. That would be good.

Yeah but are they not just the same as Homebase?

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

I'm with Sue, I won't believe anyone's opening up in Sligo until they cut the ribbon.

Besides, it takes an awful long time to build things here, it seems. Is that fast food place down by the retail park finished yet? They started that thing back in January or so I think?

Xiney wrote: »
    Besides, it takes an awful long time to build things here, it seems. Is that fast food place down by the retail park finished yet? They started that thing back in January or so I think?

It's getting there. It's only going to be another mcdonalds anyway! Bah!:mad:

• Registered Users Posts: 8,085 ✭✭✭Xiney

No no, far be it for me to require more fast food (every time I get beer in me I turn into a Four Lights Zombie - "Biiiiig Fooooourrrr.... Biiiig Fooour!")

It was just an example since I didn't want people to think I was making unsubstantiated negative claims about Sligo, outsider that I am :p

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,165 ✭✭✭✭brianthebard

DenMan wrote: »
    dude you should know that every time a building site is announced people start rumours about every possible company opening there,no matter how silly it sounds!(eg marks and sparks on castle st!)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2 dmaggie

Sligo chamber of commerce are useless keeping all these companies out. do they not realise it will bring in more consumers to the town. Exit brilliant for kids clothes and if you join their club they notify you about sale via mobile. Great 50-70% off. bought loads for my kids. Next sale suppose to be starting on the 19th. Just comming back from Dublin on the 18th, will be too shattered to get in at 5 am after spending all week in Temple Street with one of the kids, but worth it for bargains. Thumbs up for Wallis too great for sales and big sizes off the peg. Great to hear off bargain shops. Don't forget the thrift shop on Harmony Hill. Always worth a visit. Can be very lucky in picking up good clothes at better prices than enable ireland and supporting our local community. Donations always gratefully accepted. Don't put your charity clothes on the doorstep give to social services in charles street. Support your local charity.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 778 ✭✭✭Essexboy

Gillie wrote: »
    Never saw the attraction of Enniskillen myself!

Derry is much better for shopping imo!

Yes but their M&S has gone downhill, reduced to one floor only and very crowded. Otherwise great.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,293 ✭✭✭✭Mint Sauce

wouldn't mind an M&S for sligo my self, just for their food section

• Registered Users Posts: 252 ✭✭rusty999

Bedgrudgery is the name of the game in sligo and always will be!! The Chamber of Commerce in Sligo are the talk of the country. All you have to do is look at Carrick On Shannon down the road , and see how it has progressed in the last 2 years and its improving all the time . People from Sligo are actually driving there to shop so that says it all about Sligo. Pathetic is all I can say. I lived for many years abroad and returned to my native Sligo expecting it to have moved with the times but its still in the dark as far as i'm concerned. And once again the reason is --The sligo Chamber of commerce who block everything that poses a threat to their cosy little monopoly. SHAME ON THEM !!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,995 ✭✭✭DenMan

Same as me man, I have been saying the exact same on previous posts. A serious lack of investment is holding this town back. Down the road as you said there is brilliant progress. I am going to be here for the next 4-5 years (Summers not included) and would like to see some progress being made. It has a lot to offer it has to be said. Lets hope for better days ahead, it can't get any worse......can it?

Advertisement