Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Repeat your LC to do law ??? yeah or no.. HELP !!

Options
  • 17-06-2008 6:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭

Hi,

Ok this year I consider I got around 460 in my leaving cert. And I was hoping for 500 or over but I was speculating is it worth it repeating your leaving cert all over again. I have a good interest in law but still not sure should I repeat my LC all over again, just to get into law. Does it have a major advantage when getting jobs in have a law degree etc even it’s not a solicitor or barrister. If I don’t repeat my second choice was the Arts

(i'm not sure what to do ... help)

Would you do it???

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭nerd3000

Where are you from?

You do know there is a Corp Law degree (BCL) in NUIGalway for 440!?
    It's pretty much the same as the Law courses in Dublin except demand is higher up there.
    Don't repeat, it isn't worth it. The Corp Law is an excellent degree but like all Law degrees you will have to go to Black Hall or Kings to become a Barrister or Solicitor.

Look at this http://www.nuigalway.ie/law/undergrad.html#corp

• Registered Users Posts: 5,851 ✭✭✭PurpleFistMixer

Do you want to do Law enough to do it all again? You've done it once, you know what it's like (though the posters here who are repeating would know better what it's like the second time around), is it worth it?

If it's what you really really want and there's no other way to get it, then repeat your LC. However be aware there are usually back ways into things that you should consider. Also, if you're doing law just because it may make non-law related jobs easier to get... it doesn't sound an awful lot like law is what you really really want. However, you know yourself!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 277 ✭✭Brooke01

nerd3000 wrote: »
    Where are you from?

You do know there is a Corp Law degree (BCL) in NUIGalway for 440!?
    It's pretty much the same as the Law courses in Dublin except demand is higher up there.
    Don't repeat, it isn't worth it. The Corp Law is an excellent degree but like all Law degrees you will have to go to Black Hall or Kings to become a Barrister or Solicitor.

Look at this http://www.nuigalway.ie/law/undergrad.html#corp

I think you can only become a Solicitor or Barrister in Business law etc only
    Do you want to do Law enough to do it all again? You've done it once, you know what it's like (though the posters here who are repeating would know better what it's like the second time around), is it worth it?

If it's what you really really want and there's no other way to get it, then repeat your LC. However be aware there are usually back ways into things that you should consider. Also, if you're doing law just because it may make non-law related jobs easier to get... it doesn't sound an awful lot like law is what you really really want. However, you know yourself!

I really want to do law. But I’m going to be 19 when I repeat my LC. But all my LC friends will be gone from school and I don’t know any one that will be in 6th year when I go back to school at all. But I have friends in other years

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Your decision should be made solely on how much you want law. Do you actually want to be a solicitor or are you just doing it to have "a major advantage when getting jobs"??? Because it all depends on what profession you want to do.

• Registered Users Posts: 462 ✭✭Ekels

Apparently the new law plus option in Limerick should come to about 460 points.

• Advertisement

turgon wrote: »
    Your decision should be made solely on how much you want law. Do you actually want to be a solicitor or are you just doing it to have "a major advantage when getting jobs"??? Because it all depends on what profession you want to do.

i really want to become a solicitor. But what if i get my BCL in law and but what would happen if i found it hard to get work. does it open more doors etc

• Closed Accounts Posts: 71 ✭✭nerd3000

Brooke01 wrote: »
    i really want to become a solicitor. But what if i get my BCL in law and but what would happen if i found it hard to get work. does it open more doors etc

Put it this way there are too many Civil Lawayers in the country and not enough Corporate Lawyers.

Corp means you will find getting a job easier but doesn't necessarily mean it will open more doors than a Civil Law degree.

nerd3000 wrote: »
    Put it this way there are too many Civil Lawayers in the country and not enough Corporate Lawyers.

Corp means you will find getting a job easier but doesn't necessarily mean it will open more doors than a Civil Law degree.

But u not have to add maths as one of your best 6 subjects in the LC ???

• Registered Users Posts: 84 ✭✭louis626

if u really want to do law i would defo repeat. its only one year and your going to spend loads of years in a job so you may aswell spend one more year to make sure you get the job you want.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,762 ✭✭✭turgon

Yeah I agree with the above poster! Go for it!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 47 Livo

if you defobefo want to do law and be a solicitor follow the dream - repeat the leaving if necessary dude! :) but law is terrifically difficult, and it is very very very hard to be a successful solicitor/barrister...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 295 ✭✭Jayeire

If it's what you truly want, above all else, then go for it! Deffo
    Another year is nothing, honestly!
    I repeated this year and can safely say it's been one of the best, really flys by :D

• Registered Users Posts: 29,089 ✭✭✭✭LizT

If you feel you can get the points, I think you should. You shouldn't have to settle for your 2nd choice if it's not what you want!

• Registered Users Posts: 572 ✭✭✭forestfruits

can you not just do law through arts?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 31 jobey

Yeah, the above poster is right. In NUI Maynooth they're starting a new Law degree this year that you do through Arts. It would be worth checking out cuz the points are pretty low. I'd say that you should defo do law if it's want you want to do but it'd probably be more worthwhile working your way up through an arts program or one of the other routes as mentioned here because even if you repeat you might end up not getting the points for the higher point law courses next year and then you'd just be back at square one... ya know?

jobey wrote: »
    Yeah, the above poster is right. In NUI Maynooth they're starting a new Law degree this year that you do through Arts. It would be worth checking out cuz the points are pretty low. I'd say that you should defo do law if it's want you want to do but it'd probably be more worthwhile working your way up through an arts program or one of the other routes as mentioned here because even if you repeat you might end up not getting the points for the higher point law courses next year and then you'd just be back at square one... ya know?

yeah, what do u think the points for NUI Maynooth for law and arts will be ?? over 460 or under it ?? anyone ??

Advertisement