Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Work for a book reviewer?

Options
  • 17-06-2008 6:10pm
    Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭

hey, i hope this is ok in this forum. seems appropriate, but i may be wrong :)

I was wondering if someone in this literature world might have some advice for me! my mother wants to move on from the bookshop company where she works and i want to help her find a job :) she has reviewed books on the radio numerous times (even Marion Finucane), spoken at bookclubs and written plenty of reviews for her company; she simply loves reading.

Any ideas where i could get her asking? i know that at least one paid book reviewer is about this form... any tips?!

thanks in advance :D

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,629 ✭✭✭raah!

That's a pretty sweet job, reading books for a living.

I have no ideas though.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

yeah, it would be! i imagine for that reason it would be hard to find a job vacant... i'd say you gotta have guts to stand up at book clubs and talk though! not for me :D

• Registered Users Posts: 4,882 ✭✭✭JuliusCaesar

She'd probably have to go freelance. Send off some examples of her work to various newspapers & magazines that publish book reviews, including local papers; send off a CD to radio programmes; come up with an idea for a radio programme which incoporates book reviews; hire herself out to writers groups? book clubs? other social groups? to do talks, etc etc The pay is not likely to be good for someone just starting, who isn't known as a writer. I'm assuming she's not a literary figure!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,128 ✭✭✭sweet-rasmus

cool, yeah. i'll say that to her alright. i'd imagine the local golf course club will have her again. thanks for the suggestions :)

Advertisement