Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Places I miss....

Options
  • 17-06-2008 6:16pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 10

I've been living away from Limerick for a couple of years now and it just hit me today that every place I used to hang out in is GONE! Here's my places.....Termites,
    Savoy,Reubens,Javas.

I hate regeneration...hard to keep the character while putting a pretty face on the city....

Opinions anyone? Or suggestions...where should I go now! Im at a loss....

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,163 ✭✭✭✭Liam Byrne

curlymozzy wrote: »
    I've been living away from Limerick for a couple of years now and it just hit me today that every place I used to hang out in is GONE! Here's my places.....Termites,
    Savoy,Reubens,Javas.

I hate regeneration...hard to keep the character while putting a pretty face on the city....

Opinions anyone? Or suggestions...where should I go now! Im at a loss....

Kinda defeatist/negative attitude there, curly.......The Savoy that you refer to was itself part of an initial attempt at revitalising Bedford Row, and in the process the original Savoy was knocked, among lots of criticism in the process because it left the city with no decent theatre.....

So, if the regen hadn't happened then, you wouldn't be here complaining that the regen happening now affected "your" Savoy....because you'd have had no Savoy as you remember it.

• Registered Users Posts: 55,514 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Ah the Savoy... the security-less bastion of the poor student... back to back movies on one admission ticket. Those were the days. :)

I miss Javas alot though... that was a great place to hang out, and I really liked the food.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,721 ✭✭✭elmolesto

Mr E wrote: »
    I miss Javas alot though... that was a great place to hang out, and I really liked the food.

I miss Javas for coffee but the food was rubbish tbh.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Showing my age here but anyone remember Feathery Burke's bar and the Shannon Arm's nightclub? Mid to late 1990s when you could buy a bottle of Mule for a quid.

Those were the good old days when you went out on the piss with twenty quid, got a big kebab from Fryer Tuck's and still come home with change in your pocket.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,632 ✭✭✭SuperWoody101

bazz26 wrote: »
    Showing my age here but anyone remember Feathery Burke's bar and the Shannon Arm's nightclub? Mid to late 1990s when you could buy a bottle of Mule for a quid.

Those were the good old days when you went out on the piss with twenty quid, got a big kebab from Fryer Tuck's and still come home with change in your pocket.

Man that takes me back, was only there a few times (under age) alco pops 1 quid and Dr. John DJing. From there it was the Henry Cecil, then the Dog House then the Works.... Those were the days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 474 ✭✭LadyTBolt

Feathery Burkes, Oh My God! I was just thinking about that place recently and the good old days. Beer was so cheap. And what about Strictly Rhythm, no doubt about it that was the bestest club to ever be in Limerick, well the first couple of years anyway.

God I wish I could go back to those times....

• Registered Users Posts: 2,413 ✭✭✭Stab*City

bazz26 wrote: »

ya I remember feathery's I dj'ed myself in there a few times in mid nineties. Great spot. Miss alot of places in this town. But times change as we can all see around us. Going back a bit further we used to have a ball at the old crescent discos! The teen ones. Falling around the place drunk singing our hearts out! Then u had poldarks out in the two mile. Man those were the dayz! Off down to killkee during the summer then.

Stab*City wrote: »
    Then u had poldarks out in the two mile. .

LOL, once a month. We used to walk into the rowing club looking for tickets. £4 to get in an 50p for a cup of orange or coke, I would go out there with £5 and get two cups of coke for the night. 3 of us would cheep in to buy 10 fags (3 each and a smoke each off the one left over) dance around all night to boom shake, shake the room and then asking girls to dance when the slow set came on.... ohhh the good old days.... and big baggy Xworks jeans... lol

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Roadend

Man that takes me back, was only there a few times (under age) alco pops 1 quid and Dr. John DJing. From there it was the Henry Cecil, then the Dog House then the Works.... Those were the days.

The less well off would get the bottles of two dogs for 50 pence, they had no respect fpr their stomach linings....

• Registered Users Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LB6

Talking about memory lane. You lot may be too young - but anybody remember the Pink Elephant?:eek: Saw Status Quo there - sometime early to mid 80's

• Advertisement

Roadend wrote: »
    The less well off would get the bottles of two dogs for 50 pence, they had no respect fpr their stomach linings....

Man I drink a lot of cans of that stuff, it was like cold limsip.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,048 ✭✭✭Amazotheamazing

I actually have come to really, really hate these threads.

Limerick is far better now for going out than it was 20 years ago, or 10 years ago or whatever. Meh, nostalgia is just depressing.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,048 ✭✭✭BobTheBeat

I actually have come to really, really hate these threads.

Limerick is far better now for going out than it was 20 years ago, or 10 years ago or whatever. Meh, nostalgia is just depressing.

While I agree with your sentiment, I dont agree entirely with your viewpoint. I do recall Limerick 10 years ago having a very (albeit underground) vibrant band scene (I know as I was part of it). So many good bands passed through the city creating many memorable nights, and encouraged so many others to pick up instruments and join bands. Now, theres sweet F.A. save for bakers. My how the tables have turned!

I think the social scene is more mainstream these days. Plenty of pubs and clubs catering for average Joe and his missus. What about the metallers and indie kids?Where do we go now!!:(:)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,097 ✭✭✭✭zuroph

welcome back curly.

yeah the javas/reubens/termites scene is gone tits up. the closest ur gonna get is costellos and baker place/wicked chicken. wicked chicken is nice, and bakers are tryin to make up for the stool being gone.

as for cafes... i guess the closest for atmosphere is the wild onion, but there no sitting around in comfy couches to be had anymore. :(

• Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eyebrows63

LB6 wrote: »
    Talking about memory lane. You lot may be too young - but anybody remember the Pink Elephant?:eek: Saw Status Quo there - sometime early to mid 80's
    your going back a bit now, i saw madness there around that time. and what about the o malleys playiin the top floor. i think that was called the hippy hop?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 117 ✭✭MonsieurD

Everyone to their own. The current generation will reminesce nostalgicly (maybe on Boards) in 20 years from now about the pubs/clubs/cafes that are only a vague memory then.

Every generation thinks their time is best, and that perfectly ok.

I miss Buddy's of 20 years ago. I really can't see it being as attractive to people today as it was to the Limerick socialite set of the 80's.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,477 ✭✭✭grenache

curlymozzy wrote: »

There isn't much character to places such as Catherine St, Parnell St, Glentworth St, all very grubby places and badly in need of refurbishment.

grenache wrote: »
    There isn't much character to places such as Catherine St, Parnell St, Glentworth St, all very grubby places and badly in need of refurbishment.

Very true, I have some favourite memories of all those areas, but the truth is, they are streets that remind us of just how poor this city and country was until very recently.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,942 ✭✭✭topper75

Two most urgent issues for Limerick IMO are:
    • Nicholas St.
    • Mungret St.
    Crack those and we have a chance (ie floor derelict premises such as the carpet place on Mungret St. and put something new in their place) because they are key streets but are in a permanently dingy state. Council need to declare war on litter and graffiti our streets using wardens and CCTV.

• Registered Users Posts: 403 ✭✭Pikasso

JD's on Catherine Street, anyone? Early 80's

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 196 ✭✭eyebrows63

Pikasso wrote: »
    JD's on Catherine Street, anyone? Early 80's
    yea, it was about the size of a kitchen. have a couple there and then move on to the oyster.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,871 ✭✭✭Karmafaerie

Welcome back Curly.
    Yeah, the place is gone belly up alright.

Termites was sh*te in the globe and now even that's gone.
    I practically grew up in Javas.
    And I spent 3 or 4 years of my life practically living in Quins!

The last bastion left is Poormans Kilkee and under the bridge, and even they look like they'll be irrevocably changed soon, what with the boat house redevelopment.

Still, I don't blame the redevelopment of Limerick.
    There were plenty of chances for new places to open, but nobody jumped on it.
    Ah well.

I see the Globe's finally been bought and is currently being gutted.
    Still think it has potential.

Anyone remember Pop Art in there on a Friday night?
    Always loved that.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,848 ✭✭✭Poxyshamrock

topper75 wrote: »
    Two most urgent issues for Limerick IMO are:
    • Nicholas St.
    • Mungret St.
    Crack those and we have a chance (ie floor derelict premises such as the carpet place on Mungret St. and put something new in their place) because they are key streets but are in a permanently dingy state. Council need to declare war on litter and graffiti our streets using wardens and CCTV.

No way.
    Have you seen Parnell and Davis St?
    I cringe when I see tourists coming out of the station and look at them walking nervously on those so called "main gateways".
    I'm often asked by tourists "How do we get to...." and in my head I'm always trying to think of the safest way (usually no way) and most attractive (hard choice aswell).

I'm all for saving old buildings but if they're badly maintained and usually used as dodgy flats whose tenants are undesirables than I'd rather see something else go there.
    ie. Davis st, Catherine st. Dominic St, Cecil St.

• Registered Users Posts: 737 ✭✭✭fearruanua

friday nights. listening to the limerick men in the sheebeen while drinking ten pints of absolute piss and then upstairs to the stickiest carpet in the world aka the gallery for pints of vodka and red bull. some craic lad!!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 51 ✭✭NewsWire

Anyone recall the Hot Rock Cafe on Punches cross...ah the days, they had the drive through 'n all.

One thing I miss is AliveinLimerick, was it ever worked out who it was? I suspect it as either a trainee Guard or trainee solicitor.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,811 ✭✭✭✭billy the squid

Paddy Music Expo, and nights where you could go somewhere for some live music without having to contend with some prick of a bouncer.

Re the savoy: What a complete ****hole that was, glad to see the back of it to behonest.

The sheebeen on O'Connell street was great though, you had the Limerick Men as well as the boatmen singing rebel songs. Had the opportunity to see the boatmen in the Bank a few weeks ago and they have gone to the dogs.

• Registered Users Posts: 51,239 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

Anyone remember the 2fm "Beat(ing) in the Street" with Electric Eddie in what is now Arthur's Quay Park?

Some of them were a bit dodgy.

LB6 wrote: »

my god i was at that.. as i remember it was kind of out where the entrance hall to the savoy cinema was.. i was a kid born 1976.. i remember sneaking in.. that was my first experience of nitelife.. man that was a long time ago..

• Advertisement

NewsWire wrote: »
    Anyone recall the Hot Rock Cafe on Punches cross...ah the days, they had the drive through 'n all.
    that place has some special memories for me.. bushdrinking out in raheen then we would walk in there for some grub and to hang out!! remember the car?? i wont tell you the details but i had a great time in the toilet with one of my ex's!! ah teen love!!

Advertisement