Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New Focus Cayo from wiggle.co.uk - delivery?

Options
  • 17-06-2008 6:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭

After reading the advice on this board and talking to a few other people, I took the plunge this afternoon and bought a '08 Focus Cayo from wiggle.co.uk.

I felt it was about time I got a road bike since the mountain bike hasn't been near a mountain in about 18mths... that and completing a triathlon on an MTB really highlighted what I was missing out on!!!

Anyway - has anyone purchased a bike from wiggle before? How long did delivery take? I ask because a) I am really impatient :D and b) they will only deliver to my house and I want to arrange work so I'll have a better chance of meeting the delivery!!

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 11,504 ✭✭✭✭DirkVoodoo

Mine took 3 working days from the time i got the "payment cleared" email.

Nice bike.

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

wiggle have delivered stuff to work for me loads of times, add your work address as an extra adddress on your credit card..

• Registered Users Posts: 1,920 ✭✭✭Vélo

I ordered my bike on a Saturday evening and I think it was delivered by the Thursday.

It's not a long wait but it feels like forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 882 ✭✭✭cunnins4

Yup-very quick to deliver, ordered on the saturday, arrived on the friday-best part it being delivered on a friday was coming home to find it in the hallway and sitting in the kitchen hammered admiring it!:p

• Registered Users Posts: 15,989 ✭✭✭✭blorg

copacetic wrote: »
    wiggle have delivered stuff to work for me loads of times, add your work address as an extra adddress on your credit card..
    What copacetic said- I had my own Cayo delivered to my work address. It was quick, I ordered midnight Sunday and think I had it Wednesday, could have been Thursday.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 340 ✭✭bwardrop

copacetic wrote: »

Didn't know you could do that - excellent advice!! Cheers

God, I hope it arrives by the weekend... I'm working in Dublin on Monday and Tuesday...

blorg wrote: »
    What copacetic said- I had my own Cayo delivered to my work address. It was quick, I ordered midnight Sunday and think I had it Wednesday, could have been Thursday.

Hey blorg - I read in another post that you had a Cayo. Are you happy with it? This will be my first road bike - I have never - ever - even ridden one!! :eek:

I'm pretty damn excited!! :pac:

Yes, I'm very happy with it indeed. It's one hell of a bike for your first road bike, that's for sure! Only thing to note maybe is that it is quite agressive in terms of the front end- there is quite a drop, so may take a bit of fiddling around to dial in your position and you may wish to flip the stem if you are not used to it.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭sooty11

bwardrop
    i bought my focus from wiggle last week. had it by the weekend.
    any changes or amendments to the order will slow down the processing of it though....i made a mistake with my credit card number and was delayed by a day.

blorg wrote: »
    Yes, I'm very happy with it indeed. It's one hell of a bike for your first road bike, that's for sure! Only thing to note maybe is that it is quite agressive in terms of the front end- there is quite a drop, so may take a bit of fiddling around to dial in your position and you may wish to flip the stem if you are not used to it.

Good to know - thanks. I prefer a drop to the bars - on my Kona (MTB) I have it set up so the saddle is higher than the bars and rest on my forearms a lot on my commute (16kms with no traffic lights and wide roads!). Find it pretty comfy, however, I doubt this will be anything like on the position on the Focus. Having never been on a road bike before, I'm anxious about the 'narrowness' of the bars compared to my MTB, if you know what I mean!!

Anyway - thanks for the info. I'll post an update and a proud photo when I get it!!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,096 ✭✭✭Bambaata

really liking the look of this bike! Has me thinking i might sell my new Trek 1.5 and get this baby! I knew nothing of bikes (not that i know much more now but a little) when i bought the trek 1.5. It has only 700 odd km on it so anyone think that wud be a good idea? What wud i expect it get for my 1.5? Or where would i put it for sale? The only other thing is the buying online problem about not getting on the bike b4 hand. I am just shy of 6'2 and have the saddle obn my 1.5 very high eventhough its a 58 so ideally i'd wana know if i should even go higher?! Would putting a pick up of the saddle v the handlebar be enough for anyone to comment?

• Subscribers Posts: 16,582 ✭✭✭✭copacetic

judging by adverts and word of mouth you lose at least half the cost of your bike the minute you buy it. Trying to sell a good bike second hand is very difficult. Trying to get more than 4-500 will be struggle unless you chance upon someone who wants the exact bike and doesn't feel they need the support of a shop.

Bambaata- you are in luck as this guy posted only today and needs a 58cm Trek 1.5. 50% drop the minute you buy it is probably a slight exaggeration but what copacetic says about it being tough is true- I would imagine if you got 65-70% you would be doing well.

The Focuses are bigger than the Treks so if you feel the 58 is in any way OK on the Trek you would probably be OK on a 58cm Focus. I am 6'0" and got a 5mm layback seatpost on my 58cm Focus as I was feeling over-stretched.

bwardrop- any road bike will have a drop from saddle to bars, it's just a question of how much it is! On the Focuses it is quite a lot. My own drop is 8cm, Tiny has a Focus with a 10cm drop. My previous road bike, a Trek 5000, had a drop of only 6cm by contrast (and it was the "pro" geometry too ;-) I am probably going to flip my stem to get closer to that 6cm as I don't find myself using the drops as much as I used to.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

God damn that's one cracking bike for £999 (€1,260), I was very surprised to see a carbon frame with Ultegra components can be had for that money. Do they charge much for delivery to Ireland?

I only bought my Giant SCR 2.0 (for €775) back in November so don't think I could justify going for one right now, but it is tempting...though I reckon I'd probably spend the extra and go for the Focus Cayo Venus at £1,099. Not that I really understand the difference in components or that my usage warrants it - just that I think it's a stunning looking bike :D

One thing though, I posted on here back in October when I was looking for a bike and got loads of great advice and much of it steered me away from purchasing online for my first road bike. I took the advice and am glad cos I now know what frame suits me, right seat height etc. The shop also changed the front stem to one size down for me (i.e. shortened the reach needed to get to the handlebars). That seemed like sound advice then and I'm sure it still applies?

By the way, if I buy my next bike online how much would it cost me to replace the stem on it when I get it?

£20 for delivery. If that shocks you Planet X have a carbon bike with Dura-Ace shifters+mechs for the same price :eek: The Venus is designed for ladies and men with small delicate hands, although I will grant it looks good (the frame is the same, it's not a female specific design, but it has short-reach levers.)

Whether you would need a shorter stem would completely depend on the particular bike, on another bike if you get the frame size right you would likely not need to change the stem at all.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,031 ✭✭✭FrankGrimes

Ah, I'm more of a big fumbling oaf myself so the small delicate hands thing rules out the Venus for me so! Man, there's some amount of variables like that a newbie like myself is just not going to know to even think about.

That's a pretty great price for the planet x bike - couldn't find it on their site though. So, is that what you'd recommend for someone looking to spend around €1,300 for a road bike (not me....yet)?

http://www.planet-x-warehouse.co.uk/acatalog/SL_Pro_Carbon_Road_999.html

Both it and the Cayo have benefits, I'm happy with the Cayo but the Planet X also looks very tempting, might just about lean towards that.

Bear in mind that neither have full groupsets, the crankset, cassette and (maybe) front mech* are off-group on the Cayo while the crankset, brakes, cassette and chain are off-group on the Planet-X.

*and chain technically, but the chain they give you (SRAM PC-1070) is better than Ultegra.

does anyone have a 58cm or 60cm Cayo by any chance? I've been giving it a lot of thought and am 85% sure i'll go with it now if i can sell my trek at a decent price but ideally i'd like to just measure myself against the Cayo before purchasing. Thanks.

Also one question, how should a fit that measures well fit exactly? Should the saddle not go above a certain height as against the handlebars? Should i reach forward with comfort in any certain way? Should my leg fully lock out on rotation? Im sorry but i'm clueless and am trying to get some assurance as to how i should fit on a bike!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,860 ✭✭✭TinyExplosions

Bambaata wrote: »
    does anyone have a 58cm or 60cm Cayo by any chance? I've been giving it a lot of thought and am 85% sure i'll go with it now if i can sell my trek at a decent price but ideally i'd like to just measure myself against the Cayo before purchasing. Thanks.

Also one question, how should a fit that measures well fit exactly? Should the saddle not go above a certain height as against the handlebars? Should i reach forward with comfort in any certain way? Should my leg fully lock out on rotation? Im sorry but i'm clueless and am trying to get some assurance as to how i should fit on a bike!

As far as I know Blorg's Cayo is 58cm

As for fit, it's a very personal thing.. some people have handlebars the same height as the saddle, some have up to 10cm or more of a drop to the bars. There's lots of articles online, but I think the bset way to go is to get a good fit in a decent bikeshop. I'm considering doing just that and getting a proper fitting in Wheelworx -it's 90euro, but worth it for miles of comfort I feel

cheers tiny, yeah i hear they give a good fitting at wheelworx

• Advertisement

Bambaata- I have a 58cm Cayo, you are welcome to give it a go, I should be at the spin tomorrow.

I have not yet had a professional fitting (and I intend to) so I am just going off my own home-spun ideas here but the main measurements I go by at the moment when setting up my bikes are:

- distance from saddle to the bottom bracket
    - distance from saddle to the middle of the bars
    - drop from saddle to the bars

There are probably three fundamental points on the bike, relating to where you contact with it, being saddle, bottom bracket, and handlebar. Fit, I am supposing, is mostly a matter of how those three points on the triangle relate to each other. Crank length and handlebar shape/reach/drop/lever position then also comes into play, as does cleat adjustment. How far forward the saddle is in relation to the bottom bracket is also important.

Park Tool have a handy chart to record the essential dimensions. It's a good idea to do this so you have a reference for when you change things, you can refer back to what worked and set up another bike with the same general measurements.

Note this is my non-professional opinion and just how I currently go about bike setup, I am sure others may be able to offer better and more complete advice, if I have got something wrong please chip in, I am looking to improve my fit myself!

thanks a lot blorg! I hope to make it to it so. I really just want to see what the stretch is like to the handle bars.

Advertisement