Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Bag taken off aircoach, by mistake?

Options
  • 17-06-2008 6:52pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭

The Mrs travelled home from Dublin airport at 11pm on Saturday 14th June, with a red Delsey cabin bag on wheels, which she stored under the bus. (Driver would not let her take it on) By the time she got to Charlesland, the bag was gone and luggage hold was empty.
    Dublin Airport police have watched cctv and confirm that the bus left with her bag on board, next to a very similar one that someone had placed next to it.
    If anyone knows of someone taking an extra bag home (and it can happen in groups or families traveling together where some of the party never pack for themselves)
    Please Please Pm.
    It was locked, with the Delsey combo' lock and the luggage tag had fallen off so she put it in the front pocket. It is a vodaphone luggage tag with [SNIP] on it. An alternative address as my wife often travels alone. There is a hard cover book in the other pocket "The long way down" by Ewan McGregor and Charley Boorman.

We are hoping that this was an honest mistake and that whoever found it cannot decide what to do. Please get in touch with Aircoach if you do ever take the wrong bag, they will have someone like my wife waiting for it!

And a word of warning, do not get on the coach until it is leaving. The drivers leave the doors open and there are opportunist thieves just waiting for a chance to stroll up and take a bag. The Guards told her it happens all the time... They take a bag, cut it open to get a camera or phone, then dump the rest.

(she didnt have either as her camera phone had already been pickpocketed in a chelsea cinema the night before)
    My wife is devastated as it was full of her days shopping in London. And a few favourite frocks, handbag etc.

thanks for reading, H

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 317 ✭✭tiptap

That sucks..
    I get the aircoach quite frequently, I haven't heard of people swiping bags...although it doesn't surprise me to be honest..
    I hope it was a genuine mistake and you find your belongings.

Maybe put a post on adverts.ie or gumtree.ie ?

• Registered Users Posts: 589 ✭✭✭danjo

This is a dreadful situation. The coach company should be held responsible. It is up to them to structure a service which protects the customer's goods.
    I have heard of this also happening on the Intercity buses.

A simple token/tagging system could be easily implemented to resolve this problem.

I planned to use Aircoach but am having second thoughts now. The risk of stolen luggage could well outweigh the convenience of the coach service.

Hope it was a mistake this time.

• Registered Users Posts: 6,230 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

Believe it or not three guys were arrested here in Mitchelstown lately for robbing stuff from the luggage store of Aircoaches. Their scam was placing a large bag into the hold with a guy in it with a flashlight, stanley knife etc.

He would then go through the bags once they left Cork, gather up any valuables and put them in another bag packed with him, then placing himself back into the original bag. They would all get out with their loot at the next stop.

Best of luck finding your wifes bag, I know it's an absolute pain to lose stuff like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 637 ✭✭✭Hammiepeters

Thanks for the commiserations!

I agree. I have tried to explain that to Aircoach using the system that hotels use for "left luggage" as an example but it went in one ear and out the other I think. They seem to think that no one on the Greystones Eastcoast route would take a bag deliberately so I am hoping it is a genuine mistake and the person who took it just hasnt unpacked yet. Which would happen after a sun holiday if you came back to Rain. (please god) Did I mention she was pickpocketed in london 24 hours before. Friday the 13th indeed.

thanks again. My Missus reckons she should have used the long term carpark. Would have cost the same for 36 hour trip. And she would still have her bag.......

• Registered Users Posts: 1,322 ✭✭✭ian_m

any word hammie?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 72 ✭✭anniec

If you took out holiday insurance check and see if the bag is covered?

No. No news as yet. I think that it's gone for good. Yes she was insured but some of the stuff has personal/ sentimental value and cant be replaced.

Just a word of warning here. The bag was never recovered. Aircoach state that they take no responsibility whatsoever for your belongings in the luggage hold. It is quite probable that my wife was followed on to the bus by a thief or that a thief was waiting at one of the bus stops for the hold to be opened. The CC TV at the airport seems to suggest this.
    Obviously there is nothing on the ticket thats states this policy of no responsibility and there has been something of a ''couldn't care less''attitude on the part of Aircoach in this matter. For instance it was my wife who requested and got the CC Tv looked at by the Garda. When I spoke to aircoach3 weeks later they hadn't done same. Hardly hot pursuit here!
    Next stop small claims court.

Point number 4 of Conditions of Carriage on the Aircoach website:
    Baggage is carried at passenger’s risk. Aircoach will use its best endeavours to carry the baggage safely and securely, but assumes no liability for any loss or damage to baggage while in its possession, nor any consequences arising from the loss of or damage to baggage.

What action might the small claims court take, if any?

The ticket is the contract of sale here and no such conditions are stated. Those conditions have only been put on the website over the last couple of weeks. And who reads the website at a bustop? They're insured too. It was their fault. I think it's important to make a point here. Thousands of tourists are arriving in Dublin every day and getting on one of these buses. They would reasonably expect that their luggage would still be on board when they reach their destination.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 14,928 ✭✭✭✭loyatemu

The ticket is the contract of sale here and no such conditions are stated. Those conditions have only been put on the website over the last couple of weeks. And who reads the website at a bustop? They're insured too. It was their fault. I think it's important to make a point here. Thousands of tourists are arriving in Dublin every day and getting on one of these buses. They would reasonably expect that their luggage would still be on board when they reach their destination.

you're absolutely right - if you have to put your luggage in the hold then aircoach should be making reasonably sure that it is safe.

If you get a cab then you know your bags are in the boot, if you get Dublin Bus's Airbus then your bag goes on a rack that you can keep an eye on. These are Aircoach's competitors, they should be endeavouring to provide equivalent levels of security - particularly if they know that there are thieves targetting their buses.

good luck with your case.

Thanks for that Loya. It's worth noting that in this case the driver adamantly refused to have the bag on board.

Just to confirm the outcome of this debacle. Went to small claims. Judge found in wifes favour and Aircoach settled and paid. If it happens to anyone else out there, would advise you to pursue but make sure you have all receipts for property in the bag. Maybe if enough people pursue it, they will intoduce a simple bag ticketing system. Surely not too difficult.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,578 ✭✭✭ciaran67

Just to confirm the outcome of this debacle. Went to small claims. Judge found in wifes favour and Aircoach settled and paid. If it happens to anyone else out there, would advise you to pursue but make sure you have all receipts for property in the bag. Maybe if enough people pursue it, they will intoduce a simple bag ticketing system. Surely not too difficult.

Mate, well pleased for you. Nice one for taking on Aircoach and winning in the end.

Heres hoping Santa doesn't use Aircoach.

Or Jackie Skelly.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 118 ✭✭bennyblanco

Hats off to you Sir.
    Fair Play

• Closed Accounts Posts: 19,986 ✭✭✭✭mikemac

Well done OP for getting satisfaction

Would it kill Aircoach to pay someone 10euro per hour to stand beside the luggage section and not move until the driver closed the doors? Give the guy a uniform and a hi-vis jacket.
    Seems like it would solve more problems and potential court cases then any potential claims

• Registered Users Posts: 2,962 ✭✭✭Greenman

danjo wrote: »
    A simple token/tagging system could be easily implemented to resolve this problem.

I planned to use Aircoach but am having second thoughts now. The risk of stolen luggage could well outweigh the convenience of the coach service. this time.

Sorry old thread.

I wonder have Aircoach started using a tag system re the luggage in the storage area? If you put a bag/case on in the airport get the bus to Dalkey there is a great opportunity for someone to say get out in Sandymount and take a case of their choice.

I always wondered that considering the thiefs that exist.

Thanks.

Advertisement