Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

This is us being sarcastic on off the ball

• 17-06-2008 7:08pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭

I've started listening to off the ball particularly after for the big matches, but why do they both put on this 'im being sarcastic voice', i know there shtick is being irreverent as well as doing sport, but particularly the second guy has this im begin sarcastic voice on,even when talking seriously to high profile guests. its very close to rude.

it very annoying. surely they must be tired of it now.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 987 ✭✭✭keen

I've started listening to off the ball particularly after for the big matches, but why do they both put on this 'im being sarcastic voice', i know there shtick is being irreverent as well as doing sport, but particularly the second guy has this im begin sarcastic voice on,even when talking seriously to high profile guests. its very close to rude.

it very annoying. surely they must be tired of it now.

But if you ever hear them interviewing the guests in person they come across as timid with no personality, especially that Ken chap that's away at the Euros.

I agree it does come across as rude a lot of the time, there's no ones joke like your own.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,972 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Posh boy does my head in. Its got to be a joke character.

Mike.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 474 ✭✭john concannon

If its Murph your on about he always comes across as a pure dickhead.But he has his moments unlike Eoin.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,122 ✭✭✭Imhof Tank

You can’t please some people – how can they be timid and rude at the same time?

Before he started on OTB, Ger Gilroy was told by RTE that he didn’t have a “radio voice” and to forget a broadcasting career. I’d say a lot of the criticism coming at the current OTB team is rooted in the same basic attitude – ie they sound a bit peculiar on the radio.

Listen to any random OTB interview whether with players, managers, pundits, jouros - whatever, and you’ll hear well researched, relevant questioning.

Imhof Tank wrote: »
    You can’t please some people – how can they be timid and rude at the same time?

Before he started on OTB, Ger Gilroy was told by RTE that he didn’t have a “radio voice” and to forget a broadcasting career. I’d say a lot of the criticism coming at the current OTB team is rooted in the same basic attitude – ie they sound a bit peculiar on the radio.

Listen to any random OTB interview whether with players, managers, pundits, jouros - whatever, and you’ll hear well researched, relevant questioning.

If you read the post correctly you would see that I said they come across as timid when interviewing guests and sound rude when sarcastically commenting on a piece of audio that has just been played, that's not being rude and timid at the same time.

What has Ger Gilroys voice got to do with anything?

• Advertisement

I believe I did read your post correctly.

Timid - you said
    keen wrote: »
    But if you ever hear them interviewing the guests in person they come across as timid with no personality, especially that Ken chap that's away at the Euros.

I agree it does come across as rude a lot of the time, there's no ones joke like your own.

Rude - you agreed with Lostexpectation, who said

I mentioned Ger Gilroys voice because imo its somewhat similar to Eoin McDevitt's and certain people have a problem with it because it isnt mid atlantic enough

I believe I did read your post correctly.

Timid - you said

Rude - you agreed with Lostexpectation, who said

I mentioned Ger Gilroys voice because imo its somewhat similar to Eoin McDevitt's and certain people have a problem with it because it isnt mid atlantic enough

No one has a problem with their voice though that's not what this thread is about.

I have never heard them speak sacrasticaly directly to guests but it has come across once their off the line and this is what I was referring to as being rude.

keen wrote: »
    No on has a problem with their voice though that's not what this thread is about.

Thats exactly what the thread is about!

The OP complained about what he considered to be their sarcastic, put-on voices.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,988 ✭✭✭Bondvillain

The OP complained about what he considered to be their sarcastic, put-on voices.

With respect, referring to their sarcastic tone adopted during certain sections of their show is very different to referring to the perception of an accent (regional or otherwise), and whether it would be considered considered suitable for radio or not.

I would consider the former point to be the crux of this thread, and not the latter.
    If further confirmtion is necessary that this (for once!) is not a radio thread about accents, it could be found where the OP goes on to refer to his/her annoyance at their "shtick" wich would intimate that it's their attitude rather than their accents that is the issue.

Your speaking about the presenters not having enough of a "mid atlantic" voice this is completley different then constantly putting on a sacartisc voice and acting rude.

All the lads on oftb haven't got a broadcasting voice, put this thread is about one or two constantly acting sarcastically.

Even a presenter with the most mid atlantic voice could aslo be guilty of this so no it's not exactly the same, I never heard Ger speak in this way.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,184 ✭✭✭✭Pighead

Listen pal, Off The Ball is a cracking show so stop your whining. The laid back sarcastic nature of the show adds to the beauty of it all. Its not forced or stunted. Its 4 lads having fun doing a job they obviously love in an informed and entertaining way.

You want forced and stunted? THEN GO LISTEN TO GARY LINEKAR AND HIS COHORTS. Now back the fcuk up and apologise to the lads.

Pighead wrote: »
    The laid back sarcastic nature of the show adds to the beauty of it all.

No it doesn't, not for me anyway or the op it seems. I enjoy the laid back nature alright.

It's a good show that's why I listen but for me it would be better if they dropped the sacrism I mean they do it every ****ing show.

So the critics' central point that OTB is too sarcastic and that it is distasteful to listeners to hear such dreadful rudeness directed towards “high profile” guests?

Give me a break – they employ sarcasm when its appropriate such as for example when they interviewed Howard Kendall about his interest in the then vacant Ireland manager’s job. He could only name 1 Irish player currently playing and made a fool of himself basically, and Eoin/Ken (and all the texters) did indeed give him an unmerciful slating after the interview – but he thoroughly deserved it.

So, there’s an example of absolutely justified sarcasm for you.

The OP or Keen didn’t actually give an example of sarcasm = rudeness for us to consider.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,082 ✭✭✭lostexpectation

i think the show is good, its pretty easy to listen too for somebody like myself who doesn't follow sports that much, but they do the sarcasm voice _all_the_time_, there 's no need to give an particular example, its put on, contrived, especially the secondary guy.

the point is even if they aren't trying to be sarcastic when they are interviewing somebody they still have the 'im being irreverent' voice on because that's their shtick, that is what they have been told works for them so they think they need to put on the voice 95% of the time.

yerman is always raising his voice at the end of each sentence,for every sentence.

maybe they don't know how to use their voices on radio. nothing to do with accent.

the guy who does the news doesn't feel the need to put on a sarcastic tone, that contrast is clear.

they do the sarcasm voice _all_the_time_, .

That is a sweeping generalisation without any basis and you couldnt be more wrong.

What is the problem with sarcasm anyway? In the original post the criticism was that the use of sarcasm during interviews with high profile people was "rude". This was then extended to sarcastic remarks after interviews. Now the problem is one of intonation and how people use their voices on radio.

Does that mean that certain people in life (ie the OTB team) dont know how to use their voices without conveying an impression of rudeness?

If everyone thought that way, the OTB team would be replaced by 4 guys who sound exactly like the guy who does the sports news headlines (Cian?) and the listeners wouldnt be able to tell Cian # 1 from Cian # 2 half the time.

Incidentally, the news guy - he sticks out like a sore thumb because of his lack of irreverence (in a bad way). Probably one of the only ways they could improve the show would be to get rid of him and his mid atlantic accent and let Ken do the sports news headlines.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 380 ✭✭A P

The laid back sarcastic nature of the show adds to the beauty of it all. Its not forced or stunted. Its 4 lads having fun doing a job they obviously love in an informed and entertaining way.
    That sums it up for me. It's a great show - a joy to listen to for a sports junkie like me. My only gripe is the increasing number of ads. Other than that it's top-notch.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 14,330 ✭✭✭✭Amz

Listen pal, Off The Ball is a cracking show so stop your whining. The laid back sarcastic nature of the show adds to the beauty of it all. Its not forced or stunted. Its 4 lads having fun doing a job they obviously love in an informed and entertaining way.
    Agreed, crackin' show.

No other sports show comes close to it as far as I'm concerned. The fact that the lads don't take themsleves and their guests too seriously is part of what makes it a great show. They're not out there to make or keep friends and keep everyone happy a la Gary Linekar, Des Cahill etc.

Their enjoyment of sport is blatantly obvious and the fact that they cover such a huge range of sports is so rare in any media in Ireland.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,929 ✭✭✭raven136

its rubbish to say that they dont stand up to guests when all you have to do is listen to Ken and Gabriell Marcotti's discussion of Ibrahimovic(ok early got his ass handed to him)but he wasnt backing down.
    They are hardly going to be rude to guests and they never are but they are also informed and the show pis##s all over any rte sport show(which is remarkabale considering they have no rights for anything)
    Newstalk maybe at best average and have small listenership but this show is excellent,from gaa to american sports and some of the mpst informed guests around.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,757 ✭✭✭bohsboy

I cant stand Ken quoting people, he puts on this stupid over dramatic voice every time. A real prat.:mad:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,442 ✭✭✭Firetrap

The only one of them I can't stand is Murph. The guy has a grating speech impediment and his Country Pages are about as funny as root canal. Apart from that, the show's great.

• Advertisement
Advertisement