Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Test centre confusion

Options
  • 17-06-2008 7:20pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭

I applied for my driving test last summer and got called for it (by the RSA) this spring. However, I wasn't ready to take it so I cancelled. (and got put to the bottom of the waiting list etc) However, my driving instructor has told me I should apply elsewhere but it's not on the drivingtest.ie website. Can I change my test centre at this stage? And could she be talking about an SGS centre? And can I only apply online with the RSA? I'm a bit confused- people keep talking about test centres (like Tyrrelstown or Clonshaugh) that I've never heard of. :o
    Sorry if this has been asked before, but I had a quick look through the stickies and couldn't find anything relevant. :(

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 24,995 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

However, my driving instructor has told me I should apply elsewhere but it's not on the drivingtest.ie website. Can I change my test centre at this stage?
    You could just apply to another test centre (you can apply to as many centres as you wish/can afford). If you pass at one, just cancel the others and seek a refund.
    And could she be talking about an SGS centre? And can I only apply online with the RSA?
    You can't apply directly to a SGS centre. They are allocated a certain portion of the RSA applicants.
    I'm a bit confused- people keep talking about test centres (like Tyrrelstown or Clonshaugh) that I've never heard of. :o
    They are SGS centres.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭Caychadh

Okay, less confused, thanks!
    I recently moved and my instructor told me I was mad to have applied for the centre I applied for and should apply for the centre near my new home instead.. so was she just talking twaddle since I can't actually apply to an SGS centre?! :(

If I'm called for the test, can I change it then or is that it- I'm stuck with RSA even though the SGS place is 5 mins from my house and I know the area well? (I've a feeling the answer is going to be 'yes, live with it') :rolleyes:

Caychadh wrote: »
    Okay, less confused, thanks!
    I recently moved and my instructor told me I was mad to have applied for the centre I applied for and should apply for the centre near my new home instead.. so was she just talking twaddle since I can't actually apply to an SGS centre?! :(
    Yes, (your instructor should know that!)
    Caychadh wrote:
    If I'm called for the test, can I change it then or is that it- I'm stuck with RSA even though the SGS place is 5 mins from my house and I know the area well? (I've a feeling the answer is going to be 'yes, live with it') :rolleyes:
    Yes, you cannot choose to be tested by SGS.

(If you are allocated to SGS you may choose whichever SGS centre suits you).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 82 ✭✭daddymick66

when you apply initialy ,your details are entered into a central system,its kind of a lottery after that as in if you end up in the RSA system you will do your test in an RSA test centre, but heres the interesting bit,if SGS write to you and ask you to ring them and quote your reference number they will probably offer you a test within 7 days at a choice of test centres both SGS and RSA, but tell them your out of the country for a few weeks and pick the SGS centre that your most familiar with and ask for a date in say 5 weeks from then, then hire an RSA APPROVED DRIVING INSTRUCTOR, details available from the ADI section of the RSA website,only pick those with full permits as they have undergone an intensive series of exams and driving test by the RSA and they will realy know there stuff.
    by using those weeks wisely having pretest lessons and practising as much as possible ,and swatting on the RULES OF THE ROAD, you have a much better chance of passing your test.
    best of luck in your test and i hope this info will help.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

You could just apply to another test centre (you can apply to as many centres as you wish/can afford). If you pass at one, just cancel the others and seek a refund.

Are you sure about that? There is a question your asked on the form "Have you previously applied for a test" and then if you have they ask you for your candidate number. I was thinking of applying to two at the same time but wouldn't that be frowned on by the RSA especially if you give the candidate number twice?

• Advertisement

Are you sure about that? There is a question your asked on the form "Have you previously applied for a test" and then if you have they ask you for your candidate number. I was thinking of applying to two at the same time but wouldn't that be frowned on by the RSA especially if you give the candidate number twice?
    I'm open to correction but as far as I know, that question is asked to ensure, as far as possible, that the candidate is assigned a different examiner from the previous test.

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

Nope, have heard of people apply to more the two centres, and getting numerous dates. <It's really up to you if you want to apply more than once, and it will cost you, but it works none the less./

• Registered Users Posts: 12,983 ✭✭✭✭NukaCola

Cool, thanks guys will do that so.... :)

• Registered Users Posts: 268 ✭✭Adamisconfused

This seems to answer the question I have as well. It saves me from opening a new topic.

You have to confirm the test time with sgs. Do you have to do this with the rsa testing centre?

Advertisement