Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Ignition (Hibernian)

Options
  • 17-06-2008 7:21pm
    Registered Users Posts: 24,508 ✭✭✭✭

I have an ignition test, for the purposes of getting insurance, on Friday.

I asked about the using my car and they said I couldn't, whats the point of this?

Is it for dual controls?
    So am stuck probly driving some sh*t box Aigo or simiilar doing a test in a completly unfamiliar car, not really fair I think.

I've a full licence and all so it's not like I'm just learning and likely to need dual controls...

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,917 ✭✭✭B00MSTICK

Insurance reasons I think, dual controls too.

Will probably be a Yaris...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,305 ✭✭✭Green Hornet

Whats an Ignition test?

• Registered Users Posts: 24,508 ✭✭✭✭Cookie_Monster

B00MSTICK wrote: »
    Insurance reasons I think, dual controls too.

Well I'd be insured in my own car, must be the dual control issue

Whats an Ignition test?

Drving test like assessment run by hibernian, 20-40% discount on insurance for passing.

For if you have a licence for less than 5 years and/or car over 1400cc

http://www.hibernian.ie/online/driving/ignition/about/

while on the subject, anyone here done it before?
    what does it involve?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 7,152 ✭✭✭witnessmenow

I did a few years ago. Dont worry too much about it, its not exactly a driving test(well it is and it isnt)

You go there, look at a few videos of some english people driving their cars, and hear about statistics and stuff.

Then you go Driving: You Drive the instructors car, he instructs you where to go. Then he'll drive the same route showing you your mistakes.

Then you'll have lunch

Then you'll go back and watch some more videos and stuff.

Then you'll go back driving again.

All in all a fun day:p

Just BTW the year after doing the ignition course:
    Hibernian €1600
    Quinn Direct €1200

• Registered Users Posts: 77 ✭✭pebblesjm

previous poster must be a boy...poor boys and their insurance! As a member of the fairer sex my insurance has been decreasing steadily since I did the ignition thing.

There was no dual conrols on the cars, think they use the instructors car for time saving measures cos you go out with two or three others in the car too and you all have to drive a route so it would be unfeasible to have to go back and collect everyones car each time, that what I reckon it is nehoo. I had to drive a big lumping focus saloon when I'm used to a small enough car and one of the other lads had to drive a corsa.........he had arrived in a very shiny BMW :p so its the luck of the draw. Hope it gores well for you, I know I get lots out of it, unlike the driving test is actually makes you aware of how best to drive in REAL WORLD situations where you don't feel the urge to randomly reverse around corners:rolleyes: (yippy rollyeyes is back!!!)

• Registered Users Posts: 11,393 ✭✭✭✭Vegeta

Girlfriend did it yesterday

Its the exact same format now as your driving test. Tester and testee in his car (suzuki swift he had). All he does is tell you where to drive.

Vegeta wrote: »
    Girlfriend did it yesterday

Its the exact same format now as your driving test. Tester and testee in his car (suzuki swift he had). All he does is tell you where to drive.

Lady I had for ignition was way nicer than my tester!!! the driving in the ignition itself was more informal that the driving test and she full of encouragement and basically told us that the official driving test was a pile of steaming poo and it didn't reflect how you should drive in again as I said real world situations.

pebblesjm wrote: »
    Lady I had for ignition was way nicer than my tester!!! the driving in the ignition itself was more informal that the driving test and she full of encouragement and basically told us that the official driving test was a pile of steaming poo and it didn't reflect how you should drive in again as I said real world situations.

That's all true, was just mainly pointin out that the format is the same now. One tester, one driver in a car (testers car) and tester tells you where to go.

Everything you say is true. Its more informal and my gf said the tester guy was sound.

I had heard from previous people that is was groups of 2 or more and that you had to speak while driving, calling out every observation you made and why you were doing what you were doing.

• Advertisement

Ah get you now, ya had to tell her what I was doing and why and stuff. Kinda good that there's no one else in the car, was a wee bit unnerving being driven by a boyracer when I did mine....although he was a good boy for the afternoon :rolleyes:

I did a few years ago. Dont worry too much about it, its not exactly a driving test(well it is and it isnt)

You go there, look at a few videos of some english people driving their cars, and hear about statistics and stuff.

Then you go Driving: You Drive the instructors car, he instructs you where to go. Then he'll drive the same route showing you your mistakes.

Then you'll have lunch

Then you'll go back and watch some more videos and stuff.

Then you'll go back driving again.

All in all a fun day:p

Just BTW the year after doing the ignition course:
    Hibernian €1600
    Quinn Direct €1200

eh? it's only an hour!
    what are you talking about there?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,602 ✭✭✭ShayK1

an hour?

It used to be a full day. Have they dropped the "classroom sessions" and are now only doing the driving?

I did mine in a Colt btw

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

eh? it's only an hour!
    what are you talking about there?

No ... thats the Hibernian course so that you can GET insurance with them, you drive around for around an hour and after that Hibernian will insure you.

The Ignition course is a day long thing that gives you a discount on your insurance.

I did it with hibernian a few years ago, piece of piss.. its not even a test.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

Yeah I did it a few years back too. Hadn't driven a car in about 12 months at the time. You'd have to be a lunatic or completely incompetent to "fail" it.

As said, it's not really a test like the driving test. The tester does speak to you, and you basically get two goes at it. The second you're told what you did wrong the first time, so it's easy enough to drive better the second time.

craichoe wrote: »
    No ... thats the Hibernian course so that you can GET insurance with them, you drive around for around an hour and after that Hibernian will insure you.

The Ignition course is a day long thing that gives you a discount on your insurance.

I did it with hibernian a few years ago, piece of piss.. its not even a test.

You're a bit out of date then :p

Girlfriend did the ignition thing Tuesday and it is now an hour long. She was given a discount as a result of this 1 hours driving

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,706 ✭✭✭craichoe

Vegeta wrote: »
    You're a bit out of date then :p

Girlfriend did the ignition thing Tuesday and it is now an hour long. She was given a discount as a result of this 1 hours driving

Nah, there was and is two different courses, one is a couple of hours where you watch videos and crap, the other one is just driving around for 45 minutes or so.

The 'discount' is minimal on the 45 minute one, its fairly hefty on the full ignition course, actually the 45 minute driving one just means hibernian won't give you a 'get lost' quote. I.E. something reasonable rather than .. 3 grand.

Full ignition course details are here:

http://www.tesco.ie/finance/carinsurance/benefits_ignition.html

Classroom - morning session - 10am - 12noon

* IAM multimedia presentation
    * Video footage
    * Hazard awareness
    * Common causes of accidents
    * Interactive experience

On the road - afternoon session - 1pm - 4pm

* Vehicle safety checks
    * Assessing driving needs
    * Demonstration drive by an IAM trainer
    * Discussing training needs and aims
    * Developing driving performance
    * Evaluation

A complimentary light lunch and refreshments will be provided at the course venue. The IAM will provide a car for delegates use on the day.

Thanks for the info, I was sure it was the full one cos she got 20% off for driving around for an hour.

She drives an mx-5 and a lot of companies wouldn't even quote her as its convertable (despite having a hard top for 9 months of the year).
    She was with quinn last year but just transfered the insurance when she bought the mazda, her renewal with Quinn was roughly 890 I think. So she shopped around

Hiberninan with this hours drive was 650 so great value for doing it.

She thought it was going to be a more involved scenario too and was surprised that it was just a drive around. She even asked the instructor/tester guy about it and he said that they used to do that. Weird.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

I rang hibernian today and enquired about the ignition course while I was on to them, but told I cant do it cause I have more than 3 years NCB. Still their the cheapest around for me atm.

craichoe wrote: »
    Nah, there was and is two different courses, one is a couple of hours where you watch videos and crap, the other one is just driving around for 45 minutes or so.

The 'discount' is minimal on the 45 minute one, its fairly hefty on the full ignition course, actually the 45 minute driving one just means hibernian won't give you a 'get lost' quote. I.E. something reasonable rather than .. 3 grand.

Full ignition course details are here:

http://www.tesco.ie/finance/carinsurance/benefits_ignition.html

Classroom - morning session - 10am - 12noon

On the road - afternoon session - 1pm - 4pm

I'm doing it through tesco (as in link)
    It's called ignition and an hour long according to tesco, hibernian and the IAM.

Must have changed recently. can get between 20 and 40 percent discount for passing this test too.

Gave it on the quotation they sent out and everything

• Advertisement
Advertisement