Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

what's the smallest car you could possibly live with?

Options
  • 17-06-2008 7:22pm
    Registered Users Posts: 17,819 ✭✭✭✭

If the powers that be decided that from next month on cars would be taxed by horse power instead of CC / CO2 ...say ten euro per every 1 bhp (= 1000 Euro p.a. for 100 bhp) ...

Consider your requirements / how much you'd be willing to spend on the new car tax ....what car would you drive?

Me, personally, considering that I only do 7 country miles to work and back ...I'd probably get myself an old Renault 4 (34 bhp) or 2CV (28 bhp) and forget about any motoring aspirations I've ever had.

What about you ?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 8,718 ✭✭✭Matt Simis

I would very likely leave this country if that happened. Or lie about engine size or something.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 303 ✭✭markos79

Honda_50.JPG

ok its not a car but it is a beauty!!!:D

• Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

That's a good question! If I were single it'd probably be back to my first car, a Lancia Fulvia 1.3 sport. 90bhp, and it made every last one count!

• Registered Users Posts: 73,456 ✭✭✭✭colm_mcm

something with a truck engine producing low bhp but lots of torque and smoke.

• Registered Users Posts: 68,927 ✭✭✭✭L1011

I drive a 55hp Fiat Panda as it stands! Not going any lower...

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

colm_mcm wrote: »
    Like a Passat TDI?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,095 ✭✭✭✭omb0wyn5ehpij9

I drive a 1.4 civic at the moment and I couldn't drive anything smaller!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,238 ✭✭✭Rowley Birkin QC

colm_mcm wrote: »

Something like this perhaps Colm..

Jesse%20James%20Peterbilt02.jpg

1972 Peterbilt Semi engine turned into a trike. :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,461 ✭✭✭Max_Damage

c-p50.jpg

The aul Peel P50 would do me grand!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MCMLXXXIII

Right now I have 235hp, which is the least I have ever had...I can barely stand it. I am definately getting something bigger for my next car.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 12,863 ✭✭✭✭crosstownk

If that were to ever happen I'd say I might bend a become a customer of this shower. :D

• Registered Users Posts: 51,244 ✭✭✭✭bazz26

One of these:

walking%20car_thumb.jpg

Or possibly one of these:
    110-funny-car.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 8,720 ✭✭✭Hal1

car6.jpg

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭homer90

peasant wrote: »
    If the powers that be decided that from next month on cars would be taxed by horse power instead of CC / CO2 ...say ten euro per every 1 bhp (= 1000 Euro p.a. for 100 bhp) ...

Jeez dont be giving the greens any more Ideas !! :p

• Registered Users Posts: 3,021 ✭✭✭il gatto

MCMLXXXIII wrote: »
    Right now I have 235hp, which is the least I have ever had...I can barely stand it. I am definately getting something bigger for my next car.

What was your first car?

• Registered Users Posts: 18,484 ✭✭✭✭Stephen

I'd be back on a motorbike if that happened. My old Virago had a massive 11 horsepower :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,269 ✭✭✭cabrwab

Shhhh, jesus careful now! Down with this sort of talk!

I have only had 1.4's so nothing lower, there slow enough! Imagine paying 970euro tax on a corrolla!
    iam a big chap to i need a biggish car, smallest would be golf/corrolla size (reality speaking not in this crazy new tax system op is suggesting!)

But torque diesels will still be charged by hp so everyone would be up s*itcreek.

Clarkson could fit in the peel so i guess the peel it'd be! ill get a little trailer for the woman!

• Registered Users Posts: 12,313 ✭✭✭✭Sam Kade

You could always use a donkey and car until some idiot scientist complains about the donkey farting causing more pollution. I heard somewhere that people walking cause as much pollution as cars. You can't win the only solution is to blow the world and everything on it to bits.

• Registered Users Posts: 193 ✭✭FunkyDa

How about a Fiat 500 Estate? :D

Wouldn't mind a Trabant 601 either:

f_YellowTrabam_4370ec0.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,686 ✭✭✭JHMEG

Max_Damage wrote: »
    Wouldn't mind a Trabant 601 either:
    The waiting list was what made them famous. As cars go they were utter rubbish.

JHMEG wrote: »
    The waiting list was what made them famous.

Well there wasn't really much of a choice in the GDR. It was either that or a Wartburg or a Lada of some sort.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,314 ✭✭✭Marcus.Aurelius

Emigration before taxation!!!

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 412 ✭✭MCMLXXXIII

il gatto wrote: »
    What was your first car?
    My first car had 250hp, then I went to 340hp - which was great, but slightly more than I needed on a daily basis...I'm on my 3rd car.

• Registered Users Posts: 12,776 ✭✭✭✭galwaytt

Fiat 500 1.4 turbo.

Actually, I'm quite looking forward to it :D:D:D

Ode To The Motorist

“And my existence, while grotesque and incomprehensible to you, generates funds to the exchequer. You don't want to acknowledge that as truth because, deep down in places you don't talk about at the Green Party, you want me on that road, you need me on that road. We use words like freedom, enjoyment, sport and community. We use these words as the backbone of a life spent instilling those values in our families and loved ones. You use them as a punch line. I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the tax revenue and the very freedom to spend it that I provide, and then questions the manner in which I provide it. I would rather you just said "thank you" and went on your way. Otherwise I suggest you pick up a bus pass and get the ********* ********* off the road” 

• Registered Users Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

2008-MINI-Cooper-S-i001.jpg

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

biko wrote: »
    2008-MINI-Cooper-S-i001.jpg

That's what I had in mind also - do you know what BHP the original Mini Cooper had?

@Anan1 - was your car like this one? Very nice.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

Smart roadster?

mmc_smart_roadster_xx.jpg

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,479 ✭✭✭Volvoboy

Meh i'm still trying to get my head around the latest one, my tax has gone up from €72 to €79 for the year.:mad:

How does that grab ya?:D:D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 28,867 ✭✭✭✭_Kaiser_

I started off with a 1.3, then another, then a 1.9TDI and now a 2.0TDI

Couldn't even go back to the 1.9 tbh... that extra 0.1L makes all the difference :D

Advertisement