Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules

Canceled Test

Options
  • 17-06-2008 7:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭

Hello all,

I have a quick question, I had to cancel my driving test today as I hurt my left arm playing football at the weekend. I've been told by a med student, it's probably fractured (forearm swollen and heavily bruised) but not seriously and I should be alright if I just keep it elevated... etc.

My test was Thursday so I canceled but it was past the 10 day period so I would have to forfeit my fee. I expected this to happen but when they asked why I was canceling my test, I said I broke my arm. They said if I sent in a doctors cert, a new test would be arranged otherwise I would have to reapply again. I don't have a doctors cert and I couldn't be arsed going to A&E for a few hours for an X Ray and be €50 lighter for it, just to save a €38 fee.

If I did get a cert, would I get the test any quicker than if I just reapply?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 23,157 ✭✭✭✭Alanstrainor

I really dont know, especially now that you've cancelled i dont think there's much you can do. Test waiting times are down a lot so you should get a test date in about 2 months, perhaps less/

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

Personally I'd get the cert for two reasons:

1. If I suspected that I had a fractured arm or indeed any serious injury, I'd want it checked out. If it were to give you trouble at a later date it may make it more difficult to approach your club about it if you didn't do anything at the time.

Similarly, if you are unable to work because of it, you will have to get a cert anyway.

2. For the sake of an extra €12 you will more than like get a cancellation spot anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 92 ✭✭jolsen

1. If I suspected that I had a fractured arm or indeed any serious injury, I'd want it checked out. If it were to give you trouble at a later date it may make it more difficult to approach your club about it if you didn't do anything at the time.
    You're absolutely right, any right thinking individual would want it seen to...however my laziness is matched only by my idiocy. I once dislocated a finger and went to an old guy who sets bones in cattle and horses, he fixed me in an instance although he had a dreadful bedside manner. I'm fairly certain (as much as I can be) my arm isn't too bad, the swelling has gone down somewhat from what it was although it still pains me a fair bit.

Similarly, if you are unable to work because of it, you will have to get a cert anyway.
    Unfortunately my job requires little more than taking phone calls so I'm still at it. :mad:

2. For the sake of an extra €12 you will more than like get a cancellation spot anyway.
    Do you know how much notification they give before these?

I am probably more inclined to get a cert, especially if I could get a cancellation spot.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭i didn't do it

I was given about 2 weeks notice when i got my test from a cancellation spot

• Registered Users Posts: 24,993 ✭✭✭✭Wishbone Ash

jolsen wrote: »
    Do you know how much notification they give before these?
    It depends on how much notice the people who are cancelling give. Theoretically it's possible to get one at very short notice (i.e. one day) but most people wouldn't accept that. If you are willing to be tested at very short notice and inform them so, you could probably get a test within days of your original one.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 4,188 ✭✭✭wil

jolsen wrote: »
    Hello all,
    I've been told by a med student, it's probably fractured (forearm swollen and heavily bruised) but not seriously and I should be alright if I just keep it elevated... etc.
    A case of a learner getting advice from another learner.;)

It's not broken, its only fractured.:D

I often use the analogy of practicing medicine and driving (similar power over life and death) but I never thought I'd hear of someone putting my words in reverse. :eek:

• Registered Users Posts: 264 ✭✭Leejo

I know it's not what your asking mate but it'd be better for ya to go get a cast for your arm if it is broken, speaking from expierence ya'd don't wanna go back playing too early and break it again (happened me 3 times) wish i went in the first time and got it sorted, ended up nearly having to have an op...might still have to.

Advertisement