Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Lost sound on Mint 5.0

• 17-06-2008 7:55pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭

Ok, I'm running Mint 5.0 but have suddenly lost sound, I'd like to have a go at getting it back before I re-install.

The speaker applet has a red X , when i click it it says
    No volume control GStreamer plugins and/or devices found
    When i right click and click the applet preferences nothing happens.
    Under Preferences -->Sound Preferences i get this output when i test
    audiotestsrc wave=sine freq=512 ! audioconvert ! audioresample ! gconfaudiosink: Could not open audio device for playback

Here's the output from a few things I've tried from terminal, alsamixer will not open.
    colm@l33t-str33t-laptop ~ $ aplay -l
    aplay: device_list:205: no soundcards found...
    colm@l33t-str33t-laptop ~ $ sudo /etc/init.d/alsa-utils restart
    [sudo] password for colm:
    # * Shutting down ALSA... [ OK ]
    * Setting up ALSA... [ OK ]
    colm@l33t-str33t-laptop ~ $ alsamixer

alsamixer: function snd_ctl_open failed for default: No such file or directory

Anyone shed any light on this or suggest what to try next. I'd like to get it working rather than re-install as I just dont have the time at the moment

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,874 ✭✭✭✭PogMoThoin

Ok lspci -v gives me this:
    00:1b.0 Audio device: Intel Corporation 82801G (ICH7 Family) High Definition Audio Controller (rev 02)
    Subsystem: Acer Incorporated [ALI] Unknown device 0090
    Flags: bus master, fast devsel, latency 0, IRQ 10
    Memory at d0340000 (64-bit, non-prefetchable) [size=16K]
    Capabilities: <access denied>

So the device is there, just the driver isn't working

I'm going to try remove the linux-sound-base, alsa-base & alsa-utils and reinstall them.

Ok, so it got me nowhere by removing and reinstalling those packages, I was left with cli login without the gnome desktop. Time for a re-install me thinks. I'm actually still dual booting with Mint 4.0 as i was trying 5.0 when it was beta, sound works fine on 4.0.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 818 ✭✭✭Cormic

Was it just me or was anyone else expecting the sound of the cloud monster from the TV series Lost to be mentioned in this thread?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,227 ✭✭✭stereo_steve

Access denied? Sounds like you are no longer part of the audio group.

its a long shot but type cat /etc/group and check for the line audio. it should look like this....

audio:x:29:pulse,steve

where it should have pulse,your_username

Hope it works for you. I've seen some people on ubuntu forums complain of this where there has been a kernel update and there name somehow is removed from the audio group.

Good luck!

Access denied? Sounds like you are no longer part of the audio group.

its a long shot but type cat /etc/group and check for the line audio. it should look like this....

audio:x:29:pulse,steve

where it should have pulse,your_username

Hope it works for you. I've seen some people on ubuntu forums complain of this where there has been a kernel update and there name somehow is removed from the audio group.

Good luck!

Ya, it seemed to be after an update. I've backed up & reinstalled now so it dont matter. I've also used APTonCD on my fresh install to create a backup of alll the packages i use.

Thanks, I have an idea now what caused it if it happens again.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,186 ✭✭✭Nichololas

I didn't want to start a whole new thread just to say this and seeing as this is the only Linux Mint thread i see on the page I thought I'd post in here to say how much I'm loving Mint so far. The live disc booted perfectly (unlike ubuntu), and the Sweex USB wi-fi adapter thing is working out of the box (unlike ubuntu). I've never browsed the internet and used messenger while installing an OS. :D

Advertisement