Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A&k M249 Mk1

Options
  • 17-06-2008 8:11pm
    Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭

This is my review of the A&K M249 Mk1 SAW(squad automatic weapon) and it is used as firesupport to cover troops on the move.
    It can also be used in a defensive position to hold off attacking enemy.

DSC00794.jpg

Pros: good externals, good ROF, good price(RSOV)
    Cons: mag is bulky, No trade marks(if your into that)

Specs:
    price: 150-300€
    Average velocity: 325fps
    ROF: over 900rpm ish?
    Length: 105cm
    bipod length:10-14cm
    effective range: 30 - 40m
    Weight: 5kg (mag & battery in)
    Mag capacity: 2500rnds (2x AA batteries)
    Battery: 9.6v 1200mah

Upgrades/addons:
    extra mag, extra 9.6v 1600mah battery, madbull shark rubber(red).

Internals: Well I didn't open up the gearbox as I would surely brake it! but everything is easily accessible should you want to, esp the spring and hop up.
    the majority of the internals are either steel or metal.

Externals:Most of this AEG is metal with a few plastic parts.
    Red = steel.
    Blue = non ferrous metal.
    Green = ABS polymer.

parts.jpg

The steel parts on the AEG are the ones which take the most stress/abuse, i.e bipod, carry handle(shank), mag rack etc

Metal parts are still strong though. parts like the barrel, top cover and stock, although the stock has steel internal tubing.

Plastic parts are the same as the real steel i.e Pistol grip, carry handle, foregrip. No heatshields on this AEG to stop the poor yanks burning themselves!

Parts:

DSC00783.jpg
    DSC00854.jpg
    DSC00853.jpg
    DSC00852.jpg

Sights are adjustable from 200-1200m, they are also adjustable for windage which is great for hop up or the wind, the AEG also comes with a tool for adjusting the front sight.(which is always good)
    they are best set to 400-600 why? It just works well is all.

DSC00792.jpg

The top cover opens to reveal the feed tray and hop up, when closing do not karate chop as you would a GPMG, instead cock AEG-squeeze top cover release- close, release cocking handle and top cover release.

DSC00803.jpg

the best way to put the battery in is by taking out the barrel as it is quick release.
    DSC00813.jpg
    DSC00814.jpg

The mag can hold plenty ammo but its bulky and gets in the way, on the up side it feeds well and has sound control which is a godsend. Be sure to cover the battery compartment with some tape or bbs will fall in there.

DSC00831.jpg

Handy kit to have.

DSC00821.jpg

Extra mag:

Extra battery:
    they run out unexpectedly
    AA batteries:
    for the mags
    Lots of Ammo:
    Stored in a 7.62mm box
    bb bottle:
    fills mags in seconds with training.
    Satchel to carry it all.

Field testing.
    This is the really important bit how it performs in the field.
    DSC00767-Copy.jpg

Standing position: most of the weight will fall on your left arm, if its on the carry handle or under the foregrip.(not reccommended)
    your better off firing from the hip on the move when standing up.

Crouching position: same as standing but better as the bipod is 14cm long.

Prone: this is the ideal position for this AEG either with the bipod folded up or out holding the pistol grip with your right hand and the stock with the left.
    the shoulder brace is best kept folded unless in prone position.

the safety is right at your finger and not too stiff, opening the bipod out is best done before you hit the deck as it will take a good bit of punishment even if you through it down. the bipod is loose for a reason to prevent breakage and to maximize movement.
    sights are perfect no need for optics as its not meant to be the most accurate(even though it is!)
    The mag is the only let down as it can snag onto things and it hugely hinders movement when crawling.
    the best way to crawl is the bear crawl on your hands and knees holding it by the carry handle(don't worry it shouldn't break). if you need to move quickly stand low and hold it by the fore grip and stock.
    in tight spaces fold the bipod align the AEG perpendicular to your body.

Changing mags is done by disconnecting the mag from the rack and then from the magwell.

Its best to work as part of a team with this AEG i.e 1 & 2 FSG(fire support group) 1 fires and 2 provides flank security as well as keeping ammo and taking over the AEG when 1 is hit.

Conclusion:
    Highly recommended support AEG if your on a budget, solid performer, recommend new hop up rubber, She wont let you down! (i hope)

(ps if you bothered to read this far don't complain about anything ive written or my use of the word "weapon,")

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 26,458 ✭✭✭✭gandalf

Jimbobak47 you used the word weapon to describe this AEG dispite knowing its frowned upon here. This is a warning I see this again and you won't be posting here or the general Airsoft forum for a month.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Jimbobak47

Ha! you went and changed it :D:D:D
    cheeky:p

• Registered Users Posts: 2,213 ✭✭✭peter-pantslez

great review jimbob.

thinking of getting the para version myself!

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭Jimbobak47

Thanks man. Para is a good idea for tight spaces etc, I was looking for the original bare bones SAW. good luck!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 16,705 ✭✭✭✭Tigger

imo the best of the a&k saws asc its lighter bigger and has a nice long barrel
    my one has fired about 50,000 rounds with no real issues

its fun to use from the hip but the best craic is burying yourself in a bush and becomming an ambush i'm looking into a way of firing mine by remote

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 221 ✭✭fasterkayote_

great rv jimbo...id prefer the full stock version,as battery friendly aeg,even stick type can b filled in or a mini 9.6 and a back up batt inside it.

Advertisement