Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Institute of Public Administration

Options
  • 17-06-2008 8:28pm
    Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭

Thinking of doing the H dip in public management there, I work for a non-profit myself and I know they are heavily geared towards the civil service, does anyone have any experience with them? Cheers

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

I did a Bachelors Degree distance education and am about to do Masters

They are geared for Public Servants (Civil Servants, Local Gov, Gardai and Nurses) but not exclusively...though if you are doing postgraduate in PUBLIC Management .......what do you expect?

I found it fine, as with any degree some lecturers better than others, some topics more engaging than others.

Their Degrees are well recognised in Public Sector and are fully NUI Accredited

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Tan Princess

Are they a good organisation? How is the support and administration? Who teaches on the courses? Do they have their own lecturers or are they lecturers from TCD/UCD etc?

How much attendance at lectures is required?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20 left winger

Just completed the H.Dip as year one of my MA with the IPA. The learning is mostly by distance with three compulsory weekend seminars throughout the semester. Comprehensive notes given my most lecturers and fairly good standard of lecturer too. They mostly have their own lecturers, drafting in one or two from Trinity and a very good Quants lecturer from ITT. See their prospectus on their website ipa.ie, all the details of their lecturers are there, and they have a dedicated administration unit for the masters/h. dip group too.

Hope this helps.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 202 ✭✭Tan Princess

So how are the lectures run then if they are distance? Is it an online thing like HIbernia college? ARe there many assignments? Are the lecturers helpful? how hard would you rate it compared to your degree or any postgrads you have?

• Registered Users Posts: 10,888 ✭✭✭✭Riskymove

For the BA you could choose either distance or attending lectures

lectures were two nights a week,

distance means maybe 5 or 6 weekends (2 compulsary) tutorials over the course of the year

2 assigments per subject

The Masters is also through weekend tutorials not lectures during weekend

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 30 mausram

anyone knows the quality of the studies? recognition?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,226 ✭✭✭boobar

mausram wrote: »
    anyone knows the quality of the studies? recognition?

Hi Mausram,

I completed the Post-Graduate Diploma in Public Management some years ago. At the time, I recall the quality of the distance learning notes as being excellent. The weekend lectures were well organised and the lecturerers were quite enthusiastic and very well informed. I think a post graduate qualification like this is well recognised within the civil and public service and the IPA is well regarded.

I hope this helps.

Boobar

boobar wrote: »
    Hi Mausram,

I completed the Post-Graduate Diploma in Public Management some years ago. At the time, I recall the quality of the distance learning notes as being excellent. The weekend lectures were well organised and the lecturerers were quite enthusiastic and very well informed. I think a post graduate qualification like this is well recognised within the civil and public service and the IPA is well regarded.

I hope this helps.

Boobar

hey boobar,
    thank you a lot.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,920 ✭✭✭cee_jay

I'm doing this at the moment - exams start Tuesday for this semester :eek:
    Have to say the lecture notes are very good, and you are given all the books for your required reading. The lecturers are very knowledgeable.
    It needs a lot of commitment though - I think I am still shell shocked from the amount of work I have to do!

cAr0l wrote: »
    I'm doing this at the moment - exams start Tuesday for this semester :eek:
    Have to say the lecture notes are very good, and you are given all the books for your required reading. The lecturers are very knowledgeable.
    It needs a lot of commitment though - I think I am still shell shocked from the amount of work I have to do!

WoW... heheee i like the fact that there giving all the books though. :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 659 ✭✭✭yenom

Sorry to bring up an old topic but has anyone here used this and gone into the civil service? Did it give you much of an advantage over others?

yenom wrote: »
    Sorry to bring up an old topic but has anyone here used this and gone into the civil service? Did it give you much of an advantage over others?

When I studied in the IPA I was already working in the civil service. These days, to secure a job in most entry roles, such as CO, EO, AO, the first stage of the competition is an aptitude test. Your education requirements do not come into play until the latter stages of the competition.
    I placed within the top 100 after the aptitude tests in the last 2 AO competitions, however, as I did the MA in Public Administration, my qualification did not meet the requirements for the stream I applied for (HR). It may be useful for the next competition, but I'll have to wait and see what they are looking for then.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,302 ✭✭✭JohnMearsheimer

Sorry for dragging up an old thread...

I work for a government department. I was thinking about applying for the Post Graduate Diploma in Public Management. Does anyone one if your employer can make a contribution to the fees if you're a serving civil servant?

Sorry for dragging up an old thread...

I work for a government department. I was thinking about applying for the Post Graduate Diploma in Public Management. Does anyone one if your employer can make a contribution to the fees if you're a serving civil servant?

As A civil servant you can apply under the refund of fees scheme where our employer can cover the cost of the course up to 100% of the fee.
    It is down to the business needs of the Department and the course is supposed to be related to your role

• Registered Users Posts: 3,105 ✭✭✭Mervyn Skidmore

I'm thinking of applying for the MA in Public Management. After looking at the prospectus, it looks like I'll be out of the country for the orientation seminar in January 2017. Will this be a problem? Are the seminars compulsory?

• Registered Users Posts: 5,770 ✭✭✭Aglomerado

I'm thinking of applying for the MA in Public Management. After looking at the prospectus, it looks like I'll be out of the country for the orientation seminar in January 2017. Will this be a problem? Are the seminars compulsory?

I think they are compulsory. Registration is taken in the morning. But you could also start in September instead of January; there are always two classes running concurrently.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,724 ✭✭✭jaqian

Just be sure your department will fund a MA, mine wouldn't fund past degree.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 princess007

I am interested in doing the Postgraduate Diploma in Public Management. It starts Friday so I am under pressure to make a decision. Can I ask whether this course is suitable to all Grades in the Public / Civil Service or is it more useful for those at a more senior management level?

It is a long time since I have done my Degree and I am apprehensive at returning to education and worried that the course could be above my pay grade??

I would appreciate your thoughts on the level of work involved.

Thanks

I did this MA a few years ago and all grades of the CS were represented, from CO upwards. Check with your training unit/ HR/ Division head as funding varies from one department to the next.

You may be able to pay up front and claim back later, but ideally advance funding is nice.

There's a lot of work. Bring a big bag with you; you'll come back with a tower of books, handbooks etc. That was fun heading back home on the train on All Ireland Sunday :pac:!!!!! But it's doable! And fun; I enjoyed it.

• Registered Users Posts: 33 princess007

Thanks Aglomerado. I'm just so nervous as college was so long ago and would I be able for a course with work and a toddler at home.

• Advertisement

Thanks Aglomerado. I'm just so nervous as college was so long ago and would I be able for a course with work and a toddler at home.

You'd be amazed what you can achieve. I kept working full time. I'd never studied part time before. No kids myself, but plenty of my classmates were parents of young children.

I got five days paid study leave in the first year and ten in the second. Every one of them was needed!

Advertisement